PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
40 years since first pipe. 30 years since regular piper. Still get tongue bite. I do like lots of smoke, but also love the taste and feeling I get when I calm down. Still looking for happy medium. Deffo better when don't think and just do

norddie

Lurker
Sep 4, 2023
betandreas-ozbekiston.net
A couple things can change that pretty quickly...

First off, there's packing technique. For the first several years I smoked, I didn't realize that I wasn't packing my tobacco down firmly enough. Having too much air between the leaves allows the flame to catch in a much wider arc, sending more heat through the chamber than is necessary. It'll take practice, but tamp down more than you think you should have to, and keep on doing so until you find a sweet spot. You'll kill a few bowls and have to loosen them up, re-light and try again - this much is likely unavoidable; but learn that skill and you won't forget it.

The other has to do with cut. Ribbons will always smoke hotter than cakes and American cut flakes, which themselves smoke hotter than coins and hot pressed flakes. For that reason, about 90% of tins I open are either hot pressed flakes or coins. It's not that ribbons are bad, but in my opinion they're simply not the preference.

If you do both of those things and it's still not working, try buying an old estate factory billiard or otherwise straight pipe. They're available through forum members here regularly, or you can catch one on smokingpipes.com or eBay, here. They're the perfect learning instruments.

If none of that works, I guess you should take @Ryar's advice and supporting for some Ray Bans.
I also experiment with different filters, they can also change the taste and temperature of the smoke
But everyone must find what suits him)

Reactions: jbfrady