PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
My wife and I visited an antique mall today.
I came across a display case with some pipes. I was excited to discover out of the five pipes two of them were in very good shape and excellent finds!

Thayne Robertson was a Boise Idaho Tobacco store owner and paid Carver. Not too many people know about him. His pipes are becoming very rare. All of his pipes have House of Robertson engraved on them. I own one other Robertson pipe. I’m excited to clean this pipe up and smoke it.
D2E4BB02-8754-4ECC-BDE8-99F00C330636.jpegCBED9A82-767C-41C8-A6F2-D191255D9A1B.jpeg
The second pipe was a Savinelli Capri #515. This pipe is lite and feels great in the hand. I’m sure it will be a great smoker.
261AB615-4848-49B6-9C74-817713027E18.jpeg903BB572-536E-440D-80C5-962D2252E2DB.jpeg
Although they have been used, it appears that they have not been abused. Both stems are in great shape and can be cleaned up. With a little cleaning and some TLC, I should have both these pipes ready to smoke in no time.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I just finished a Murphy soap cleaning on these three estate pipes. After I let them dry out, I can wax and buff the pipes before I apply a thin bowl lining. Once I get these last two steps done, these pipes will be ready to smoke!
The two pipes on the left are pretty rare. They were made by a Carver from Boise Idaho named Thayne Robertson. The Savinelli Capri is on the right.
image.jpg

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I went looking for Murphy's oil .. Lemon scented cleanser? That wood should only be cleaned with water and a toothbrush, as it absorbs a lot.
Hmm, used it on the outside. Hot water flush with brushes for the rest.
The bottle I have says orange oil extract and 99% natural. The inside of the bowl and tenon still smell like a tobacco pipe. No funky orange or off smell residual.
It’s the first time I’ve ever used it. I got the idea from reborn pipes site.

Reactions: scloyd and BROBS

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
It is a porous untreated wood, the danger that it retains is high, I would recommend only water. In the pamphlet Savinelli wrote that it was even possible to immerse them in water to remove any ghosts and dirt, but I would put a cork in the chamber. They dry almost instantly.

Reactions: Fralphog

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome pipes from the antique store. I've always guessed my area was too deep in cigarettes to have much in the pipe category. Even the huge flea market at the state fairgrounds has only a few pipes, overpriced, and the sellers know nothing about them except they want high prices. Slim pickings. Maybe some day I'll hit the mother lode, but not here, I don't think. On a trip. Show us those cleaned up ... very nice.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
From the leaflet supplied
"Sea Coral" pipes

A particular workmanship out of rare quality briar allowed us to carry out a special treatment for opening in all depth the pores of the wood.
The sea coral pipe oozes through and gives a delightful smoke, right from first puff.
In the beginning it may not show a uniform colouring, but with use, it will acquire a darker tonality similar to that of old meerschaum pipes.
The whole pipe can be deeped in running water and washed with a hard brush. In such a way the pipe gets rid of any unpleasant smell and look like new.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Nice looking pipes!

Murphy's oil soap isn't going to hurt the pipe. Briar absorbs very little liquid; it's extremely dense and what does penetrate only does so to the depth of a few microns (1 micron = 0.00003937").

Reactions: scloyd and Fralphog

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Got the bowl coating done on all three pipes this morning.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I am very happy with results. All the spider webbing filled in and a good surface set up to begin building cake. After this dries, I will wax and buff the pipes. The final task before they’re ready to smoke!

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
My wife and I visited an antique mall today.
I came across a display case with some pipes. I was excited to discover out of the five pipes two of them were in very good shape and excellent finds!

Thayne Robertson was a Boise Idaho Tobacco store owner and paid Carver. Not too many people know about him. His pipes are becoming very rare. All of his pipes have House of Robertson engraved on them. I own one other Robertson pipe. I’m excited to clean this pipe up and smoke it.
View attachment 115030View attachment 115031
The second pipe was a Savinelli Capri #515. This pipe is lite and feels great in the hand. I’m sure it will be a great smoker.
View attachment 115032View attachment 115033
Although they have been used, it appears that they have not been abused. Both stems are in great shape and can be cleaned up. With a little cleaning and some TLC, I should have both these pipes ready to smoke in no time.
Great finds! Wish you many great smokes in both!!!