PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I am so glad somebody picked up those 2 pipes from Boise,ID antique store and give them some love...The only reason I left them there was that Robertson pipe was so dirty and stinky that I almost thought there is no way to get that ghosting out of it ...I almost bought Savinelli-really cool finish on it and cool stem but I do not smoke straight pipes...I really did not wanted to separate those pipes from other 3 I bought there at the same basket but have too many pipes already so left them there for you...from the same basket I bought 61 Dunhill Bruyere for 23,-$ (worth over 300,-$),old Ben Wade Rhodesian bulldog and 70s Pioneer block meerschaum pipe(not a calabash) so I was pleased enough...Great job renovating those 2 other pipes!!

Reactions: Fralphog

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I am so glad somebody picked up those 2 pipes from Boise,ID antique store and give them some love...The only reason I left them there was that Robertson pipe was so dirty and stinky that I almost thought there is no way to get that ghosting out of it ...I almost bought Savinelli-really cool finish on it and cool stem but I do not smoke straight pipes...I really did not wanted to separate those pipes from other 3 I bought there at the same basket but have too many pipes already so left them there for you...from the same basket I bought 61 Dunhill Bruyere for 23,-$ (worth over 300,-$),old Ben Wade Rhodesian bulldog and 70s Pioneer block meerschaum pipe(not a calabash) so I was pleased enough...Great job renovating those 2 other pipes!!
Good morning and Merry Christmas.
It looks like you just joinEd the forum? I was excited to see your post just now. Do you reside in Idaho now, Or were you just visiting when you found the other pipes at the antique store?
I was excited enough finding these two pipes in the basket. If I would’ve arrived and seen the other three that you picked up, I would’ve been over the moon excited. Have you refurbished and started smoking them? If so, I would love to see pictures.
I met an older gentleman here in Boise one day who has some House of Robert’s pipes! He seems interested in selling them. If they’re in good shape I will probably buy them. There’s something irresistible about buying and refurbishing a pipe that was made right here in Boise Idaho. I like the history aspect and they appear very well-made. Hoping they good smokers!

I looked under the new member topic and did not see a post from you there. Either way, welcome to the forum!

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Merry Christmas to you! I am a member of this forum for about 7 years but I never registered before...reason to register was I can post a reply to your post :) thinking that it is such a coincidence to talk about pipes I just seen few days ago at the store. I am in ID for some time now but will eventually go back east ..I just drove through Boise few times and working in east ID now...I visited the store in october and left all the pipes there and again visited in Nov,Dec and finally bought them...actually I bought that Dunhill first and bought another 2 next day ...Dunhill smokes amazing-my first one..other 2 i did not smoke yet but i will soon .they are pretty clean..Did you got that ghost out of Robertson pipe?I bet that SAV will be great smoker i just do not collect straight pipes..Understand about history everything old school is fantastic for me as well...Just imaging if them pipes could talk!!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Merry Christmas to you! I am a member of this forum for about 7 years but I never registered before...reason to register was I can post a reply to your post :) thinking that it is such a coincidence to talk about pipes I just seen few days ago at the store. I am in ID for some time now but will eventually go back east ..I just drove through Boise few times and working in east ID now...I visited the store in october and left all the pipes there and again visited in Nov,Dec and finally bought them...actually I bought that Dunhill first and bought another 2 next day ...Dunhill smokes amazing-my first one..other 2 i did not smoke yet but i will soon .they are pretty clean..Did you got that ghost out of Robertson pipe?I bet that SAV will be great smoker i just do not collect straight pipes..Understand about history everything old school is fantastic for me as well...Just imaging if them pipes could talk!!
I really love the story of how you bought the pipes. My wife and I go to that antique store probably once a month just to walk through and see what’s in there. Sometimes you miss things because there is so much on display in each of the separate vendor areas.
I did a very thorough job of cleaning all three of these pipes. The House of Robertson billiard Cleaned up very well. I’m pretty confident it will not have any residual ghosting. I’m going to smoke it today. Haven’t decided what I’m going to smoke in it yet? I was thinking about smoking some premium Burley or some Straight Izmir Turkish? I’m leaning towards the Burley since is good at cleaning up ghosts. I’m thinking about making this a dedicated navy flake Pipe.
If you ever head back towards Boise, let me know - maybe we could meet up for a cup of coffee, tea or ... and have a smoke!
So glad you sent me a reply. I look forward to seeing more posts from you on the forum. Have a blessed day!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Are you saying Murphy’s soap is a no go on the outside of the pipes?
Nice looking pipes!

Murphy's oil soap isn't going to hurt the pipe. Briar absorbs very little liquid; it's extremely dense and what does penetrate only does so to the depth of a few microns (1 micron = 0.00003937").
I've used Murphy's Oil several times and never had an issue. It does a great job cleaning the pipe, outside only of course. I use the Original, non scented.
20211225_153806.jpg

Reactions: Fralphog

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I really love the story of how you bought the pipes. My wife and I go to that antique store probably once a month just to walk through and see what’s in there. Sometimes you miss things because there is so much on display in each of the separate vendor areas.
I did a very thorough job of cleaning all three of these pipes. The House of Robertson billiard Cleaned up very well. I’m pretty confident it will not have any residual ghosting. I’m going to smoke it today. Haven’t decided what I’m going to smoke in it yet? I was thinking about smoking some premium Burley or some Straight Izmir Turkish? I’m leaning towards the Burley since is good at cleaning up ghosts. I’m thinking about making this a dedicated navy flake Pipe.
If you ever head back towards Boise, let me know - maybe we could meet up for a cup of coffee, tea or ... and have a smoke!
So glad you sent me a reply. I look forward to seeing more posts from you on the forum. Have a blessed day!
Its amazing that that Robertson pipe cleaned up so well!!My loss your gain :) yeah I will let you know if I am in Boise we can meet I may bring the other 3 pipes with me...What was great on those pipes -price was very affordable ...I just bought a few 6-25,-$ nice old pipes in North idaho...This state is great for hunting old pipes!