PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've been looking at Falcon bowls at tobaccopipes.com, and the chamber dimensions (width & depth) vary alot within the same series. For example, the Dover bowls vary from 0.85 - 0.93 in chamber width and 1.2 - 1.38 in chamber depth. None are listed as Bantam. Is this accurate, do the bowls vary widely in chamber size, even within the same series?
Most of the Standard bowls are consistent in size, but the Bantams are very much smaller. The meer lined are quite small as the composite meer is added to the Standard chamber dimensions which basically makes them Bantams. My favorite Standard bowl is the Bulldog. This bowl has a good balance between width and depth and accommodates flakes and thicker shreds very well.
I hope this helps!

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I've been looking at Falcon bowls at tobaccopipes.com, and the chamber dimensions (width & depth) vary alot within the same series. For example, the Dover bowls vary from 0.85 - 0.93 in chamber width and 1.2 - 1.38 in chamber depth. None are listed as Bantam. Is this accurate, do the bowls vary widely in chamber size, even within the same series?

It may be that the Hunter bowls differ from other finishes...
I’m no expert but, of the four bowls I have (two bantams and two ‘normal’ sized) they are uniform in their bowl width and depth dimensions in both groups. There is a visible difference when it comes to the wall thickness of both groups and this adds to the weight of each bowl; this leads to the “drag” on the teeth in the “normal” sized bowls when clenching which some love and others hate.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I’m no expert but, of the four bowls I have (two bantams and two ‘normal’ sized) they are uniform in their bowl width and depth dimensions in both groups. There is a visible difference when it comes to the wall thickness of both groups and this adds to the weight of each bowl; this leads to the “drag” on the teeth in the “normal” sized bowls when clenching which some love and others hate.
?
Not sure if I understand your post to be honest. If you're saying that your two bantam bowls are of the same width & depth as your two standard bowls, then you haven't got two bantam bowls but four standard bowls.
Never heard of this 'drag' on the teeth either, let alone experience it for myself. All Falcons are exceptionally light & clenchable.....unless you're on about the 'dental' or 'multi grip' stems maybe?

Algiers & Dublin in both standard & bantam sizes.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
?
Not sure if I understand your post to be honest. If you're saying that your two bantam bowls are of the same width & depth as your two standard bowls, then you haven't got two bantam bowls but four standard bowls.
Never heard of this 'drag' on the teeth either, let alone experience it for myself. All Falcons are exceptionally light & clenchable.....unless you're on about the 'dental' or 'multi grip' stems maybe?

Algiers & Dublin in both standard & bantam sizes.

View attachment 161711View attachment 161712
As I said, I’m no expert. The two bantam’s are roughly the same bowl size as each other, the larger pair are roughly the same size as each other. They differ by thickness of the wall.

The larger ones are heavier which work well with bent stems or curved stems and therefore ‘pull’ or drag or whatever on the teeth more than the lighter bantams, especially if using a straight stem.

I personally prefer the bantams but you can’t a great deal of tobacco in the bowl.

Horses for courses I guess.

Reactions: simong and edger

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I don’t know I’ve had a Falcon but I’ve owned several aluminum pipes with interchangeable bowls over the years, and still have a Grabow Viking with two bowls.

Sometimes I smoke it.

A good pipe needs a briar shank. Aluminum is not as tasty for the smoke stream to pass through. It’s good, but briar tastes better.

You’ll appreciate your Canadians more, after an aluminum shanked pipe.

And different briars smoke differently even the same size, on the same pipe.

Not much different, but enough to tell the difference.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
@Franco Pipenbeans @simong
Thanks to you both for the info on the bowls, that helps alot, especially the photos. The gqtobaccos.com site has some dimensions that are more consistent. I'm surprised at how wide the bowls are, especially compared to depth. My Peterson XL90s are 0.8" chamber width. The Algiers at 0.94" and Dover at 0.87" are both wider than that. Even the Algiers Bantam is 0.83".

Thanks for your help. I'll probably order from gqtobaccos.com since they have good prices and great selection, but that means any returns will be expensive as I'm in the US, so I want to get it right. Cheers!

Reactions: simong and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I don’t know I’ve had a Falcon but I’ve owned several aluminum pipes with interchangeable bowls over the years, and still have a Grabow Viking with two bowls.

Sometimes I smoke it.

A good pipe needs a briar shank. Aluminum is not as tasty for the smoke stream to pass through. It’s good, but briar tastes better.

You’ll appreciate your Canadians more, after an aluminum shanked pipe.

And different briars smoke differently even the same size, on the same pipe.

Not much different, but enough to tell the difference.
Like you said, you don't know if you've smoked a Falcon. The aluminum shank is taste neutral and provides a very clean, cool smoke. Try one before you opine.

Reactions: upnorth1 and simong

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
@Franco Pipenbeans @simong
Thanks to you both for the info on the bowls, that helps alot, especially the photos. The gqtobaccos.com site has some dimensions that are more consistent. I'm surprised at how wide the bowls are, especially compared to depth. My Peterson XL90s are 0.8" chamber width. The Algiers at 0.94" and Dover at 0.87" are both wider than that. Even the Algiers Bantam is 0.83".

Thanks for your help. I'll probably order from gqtobaccos.com since they have good prices and great selection, but that means any returns will be expensive as I'm in the US, so I want to get it right. Cheers!
GQ are great, I use them frequently when ordering online.

Happy smokes. ??

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
GQ are great, I use them frequently when ordering online.

Happy smokes. ??
Thanks for the suggestion of the book Churchill's Wizards. Sounds interesting. I like WW2 history as it made a big impression on my dad. He commanded a 5-inch gun on a cargo ship in the Pacific, and they shot down a Kamikaze at Okinawa that was coming right at them; the plane's wing hit the deck but luckily the plane didn't!

Churchill has also interested me. I remembered this article about Winston Churchill's Britain At War Experience, in South-East London, and how they AIRBRUSHED THE CIGAR OUT OF CHURCHILL'S PICTURE that is displayed above the door! Amazing! This is the article, from 2010:

1660427699333.png

Reactions: edger

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've been trying to find out what the Falcon bowl's chamber dimensions are, since measurements vary depending on which retailer I look at, so I thought I'd go straight to the source. I emailed Falcon through their website:
Contact Us (falconpipes.co.uk)

My question:
"What are the chamber dimensions (bowl interior width & depth) for your Algiers, Billiard, Dover & Dublin bowls? Are the chamber sizes the same for each series (i.e. Is a Dover Rustic the same size as a Dover Hunter)? I understand the bantam bowls are smaller. Thanks! Rob"

Their response, from Keith Richardson:
"Sorry we cannot supply the information you want.
Falcon pipes UK"

Not very helpful!

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I've been trying to find out what the Falcon bowl's chamber dimensions are, since measurements vary depending on which retailer I look at, so I thought I'd go straight to the source. I emailed Falcon through their website:
Contact Us (falconpipes.co.uk)

My question:
"What are the chamber dimensions (bowl interior width & depth) for your Algiers, Billiard, Dover & Dublin bowls? Are the chamber sizes the same for each series (i.e. Is a Dover Rustic the same size as a Dover Hunter)? I understand the bantam bowls are smaller. Thanks! Rob"

Their response, from Keith Richardson:
"Sorry we cannot supply the information you want.
Falcon pipes UK"

Not very helpful!
"Look, Mac, we just make 'em and people like them."

That's part of the charm!

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Thanks for the suggestion of the book Churchill's Wizards. Sounds interesting. I like WW2 history as it made a big impression on my dad. He commanded a 5-inch gun on a cargo ship in the Pacific, and they shot down a Kamikaze at Okinawa that was coming right at them; the plane's wing hit the deck but luckily the plane didn't!

Churchill has also interested me. I remembered this article about Winston Churchill's Britain At War Experience, in South-East London, and how they AIRBRUSHED THE CIGAR OUT OF CHURCHILL'S PICTURE that is displayed above the door! Amazing! This is the article, from 2010:

View attachment 162632
A favourite picture of Churchill is this one.

F639FD37-2F05-4C3B-BEBB-7FFE89E6DDCC.jpeg

Now that photo must give the PC Brigade nightmares - “a posh male with a cigar and a machine gun?” ?

I had it on a t-shirt, I just had to be careful wearing it in pit villages. ✌?

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
A favourite picture of Churchill is this one.

View attachment 162712

Now that photo must give the PC Brigade nightmares - “a posh male with a cigar and a machine gun?” ?

I had it on a t-shirt, I just had to be careful wearing it in pit villages. ✌?
FYI, I think that's a rare 100-round drum on the .45-cal Thompson (most drums were 50 rounds). They called them 'trench brooms' in WW1.