PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Hey guys, I can’t find much info. on this pipe or comparable ones. Must be an older model. I don’t have many costly pipes. Mostly cobs, a pair of Savinellis and a pair of Vauen Basics.

My preference is for 9mm filtered, so when I saw this pipe I pulled the trigger. Looked better than my basics for only a slightly higher price.

I know that white dot pipes are supposed to be good on Dunhill pipes, but not sure if they really mean much for Vauens.

Wondering if I paid a fair price for it. It is new and unsmoked. I paid approx. $130 CAD taxes and shipping included. Approx. $95 USD.

It was marked down, the seller said, because the silver band had a black patch that he referred to as ‘damage’. I initially declined because of it. He then come back and told me it was just a bit of tarnish and was able to remove it. He honored the initial proposed price quoted however.

I’ve also never had a P-lip pipe. Anyone have any experience with the Vauen versions?

Thanks guys.

Vauen, Luxus, Model 8612 Smooth Bent Egg Pipe, Silver Band, 9 mm filter New Pipe. Never smoked. Nice 5 7/8" length.

Attachments

• IMG_2588.png
    IMG_2588.png
    312.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2589.png
    IMG_2589.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2590.png
    IMG_2590.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I have 3 Vauen pipes and they smoke quite well. I think you will be happy with your pipe. There is a way better selection of Vauen (and other makes) pipes in Europe. I have bought quite a few pipes from The Danish Pipe Shop with excellent service and results as well as Cigar World.de from Germany. I think they are cheaper over there as well. Just remember when shopping in Europe that unless it says tax free price, you will save about 20% off the price by not having to pay their VAT . If you want to see what you'll pay, just put your pipe in cart and go to checkout and when you do shipping (outside EU) it will give you the true price you will pay. It's like every pipe is on sale! I've got some really good deals on pipes from UK and Europe.

Reactions: Bassman65

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I saw one used on the net for $80. so $95 new is an excellent price. I assume it was more when new. It comes with the p-lip stem. I have a Vauen 8673 bent egg and its one of my favorite pipes for comfort, ease of use and smokability. I think yours is a higher grade though. Nice deal ! Enjoy it.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I saw one used on the net for $80. so $95 new is an excellent price. I assume it was more when new. It comes with the p-lip stem. I have a Vauen 8673 bent egg and its one of my favorite pipes for comfort, ease of use and smokability. I think yours is a higher grade though. Nice deal ! Enjoy it.
I checked SP.eu --- the current equivalent bent eggs run from $125.00 to $145.00 so I would say you got a good deal. Yours is an older model but a good one. And its a silver band which I don't believe they use anymore ... looks like new ones are silver plated.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Thanks! W
I checked SP.eu --- the current equivalent bent eggs run from $125.00 to $145.00 so I would say you got a good deal. Yours is an older model but a good one. And its a silver band which I don't believe they use anymore ... looks like new ones are silver plated.
What is the equivalent model?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Vauen über alles!

They're excellent pipes. My "basic" smokes much better and cooler than other "higher" end pipes from other manufacturers I have. My Almar is awesome too.

I've always wanted a white dot Vauen, but Pfeiffenkonsulat went under before I could order the one I had wishlisted. Outside of Germany, Vauens can only have grey dots due to Dunghill's branding rights.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Nice pipe! I've only got one Vauen, its filterless with a horn stem and "P-lip" style" button. No white dot, but I do love this pipe. I also happen to like the "P-lip" style, it makes for an easy jaw hanger without biting down on the stem when you need to go hands free. I wouldn't mind picking up another Vauen if the right one came around.

20220702_075555.jpg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Thanks! W

What is the equivalent model?
This brief history might interest you: