PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks. I've not had Yorktown so I googled the blend and found this:

"For Yorktown, the folks at Cornell & Diehl combine stoved red Virginia with bright Virginia and restoved it."

What exactly does "stoving" mean? Is that a drying process or something?
This tobacco starts out as bright Virginia that is slowly heated over time until it turns a rich black. This isn't a process that can be rushed, as too much heat applied too soon could result in charred flavors.

There are some threads here about home stoving, that's jarring tobaccos and putting them in the oven on a low temperature for awhile and it darkens and sweetens the VAs, i haven't tried it but lots of people have.

Reactions: BenMN and Choatecav

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Via Google

Bright Virginia usually is a mixture of yellow and orange, possibly with a bit of red, and is less sharp than yellow, but with a little more depth to the flavor. Orange is a touch less sweet still, and has more of a hay-like quality, and red is more toasty with bread-like notes and noticeably less sugar.
Add to that, what is the difference between "bright" and "red" virginias and how do the nic levels compare between them? I just gave a an ounce of C&D Briar Fox (burley and virginia blend) away because of the nic. Couldn't enjoy it.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I like certain Virginia blends, but it's a rare occasion/palette cleanser from Balkans for me. English/Balkans are my favorite by far for everyday smoking, followed by Lakeland aromatics. I love the Virginias in those, I just prefer the complex flavor of blends with latakia and Orientals to pure Virginias. I'd rather have sweet and savory than just sweet personally. However, I do have Union Square aging in my cellar in hopes to enjoy in 15-20 years.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd say that Virginia varietal tobacco is more dependent upon good smoking technique to fully appreciate, than a blend might be. Often I find that contrasts help define one another.
A Virginia might tend to bite more readily than a blend that included either/or cavendish, Latakia, Perique, burley, izmir, or cigar leaf.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
While I prefer burley and English, I don't dislike VAs.

My general preference for VA tends to run towards stoved, and towards VA-based rather than straight VA (I have a fondness for oriental mixed in). I don't know if I have a preference between bright or red, depends on my mood I suppose.

At the moment, my most favorite VA-based I have found is Savinelli Brunello Flake, with C&D House Reserve (2022 Fall Edition, a mix of stoved and unstoved VA) that I don't have anymore of being a close second, and C&D Steamworks (2023) being third.

But admittedly, I have a lot of VA-based blends in my cabinet that I've yet to crack into.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If I really had to smoke one forever I'd be satisfied with infinite Dunhill/Peterson Flake. It just hits the spot and I never tire of it I do not have to be in the mood for it. I recently cracked a 8 or so year old tin of the Dark Version and to my surprise I prefer the regular or blue version. I have not smoked any with significant age but I have several old tins and will crack one of them next. Just love that stuff.

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
So far my favorite is Mac Baren Pure Virginia. I also very much enjoyed Capstan Blue ready rubbed. I do have some Old Gowrie on order, C&D Edisto, Yorktown, Opening Night and GLP Union Square in the cellar. Looking forward to trying them all this summer. I have several tins of Union Square and Opening Night that will sit in the cellar for some years.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Via Google

Bright Virginia usually is a mixture of yellow and orange, possibly with a bit of red, and is less sharp than yellow, but with a little more depth to the flavor. Orange is a touch less sweet still, and has more of a hay-like quality, and red is more toasty with bread-like notes and noticeably less sugar.
Excellent explanation of stoving and I appreciate the response. Do you know if they "stove" any other types of tobacco other that VA? Do they Stove Burley?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Excellent explanation of stoving and I appreciate the response. Do you know if they "stove" any other types of tobacco other that VA? Do they Stove Burley?
I guess you could stove anything but people usually stove VA forward stuff. Here is a walk thru of how to do it and an entire thread about it, looks of good reading and probably answers a lot of your questions.

Reactions: BenMN and Choatecav

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
I have seen some of these stoving temperatures and wonder if lowering the temperature to 90-95 degrees F and stoving for longer would have a similar effect and not kill off the beneficial organisms that would start dying at 120 and be fully zapped north of 130. From what I have read, the most common bacterium optimal range for activity is 86F or 30C with an upper bound of the optimal growth range around 98 F or 37 C. I suppose that would only enhance "aging" i.e. fermentation and stoving is more about heating the sugars and caramelizing them. There are probably different beneficial or desirable results for both methods.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have seen some of these stoving temperatures and wonder if lowering the temperature to 90-95 degrees F and stoving for longer would have a similar effect and not kill off the beneficial organisms that would start dying at 120 and be fully zapped north of 130. From what I have read, the most common bacterium optimal range for activity is 86F or 30C with an upper bound of the optimal growth range around 98 F or 37 C. I suppose that would only enhance "aging" i.e. fermentation and stoving is more about heating the sugars and caramelizing them. There are probably different beneficial or desirable results for both methods.
Those temps and times seem to work for everyone else with no issues but I'm sure you can try other things. At that temp you could just leave it in a car on a hot summer day.

Reactions: BayouGhost