PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
The home mixtures I’ve made, which I started doing just to make blends I bought to try but didn’t like smokable, I have eyeballed parts by volume.

Now that I’m leaning more to trying to make blends “with intent” as I learn more, I am curious if this is folly?

Having just read the post of recreating home blends from old articles, I’m left to ask:
Are recipes that state 2 parts XXX and 3 parts YYY to be inferred as by weight instead?

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
The home mixtures I’ve made, which I started doing just to make blends I bought to try but didn’t like smokable, I have eyeballed parts by volume.

Now that I’m leaning more to trying to make blends “with intent” as I learn more, I am curious if this is folly?

Having just read the post of recreating home blends from old articles, I’m left to ask:
Are recipes that state 2 parts XXX and 3 parts YYY to be inferred as by weight instead?

I would go by weight. Different cuts/presses will yield different weights at similar volumes. At the end of the day, you’ll be in the same ballpark, regardless, and blending at home should be enjoyable. Do whatever makes you happy, but I’d guess weight is the implied method.

Reactions: yanoJL and karam

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Another vote for weight (which is also affected by variations in dryness of component leaf, in addition to cuts/presses as previously mentioned by @BarrelProof above)...