PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
On my way back from court I drove through a McDonald’s smoking a Benchmade full of Borkum Riff Cherry and at the pickup window the girl, twentysomething, smiled and beamed and asked —

What’s that you’re smoking?

What is that, I’ve never seen one?

I smiled back and said it’s a pipe, old gray haired men like me used to smoke them all the time when I was your age.

She grinned and said that really smells good,,,..

Where could I buy my boyfriend one of those?

It was $10 on ebay, but I said they sell pipes on Amazon.

IMG_6523.jpeg

And I remembered why a man who looked just like Charlie Rich in Springfield Missouri was the largest selling CAO meerschaum dealer on earth thirty some years ago.

Who bought all the Marxman pipes, for whom, I wonder?

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My mother was a beautiful woman, all her 84 years, and our birthdays were three days apart in April, hers first.

On her seventieth birthday in April 1996 she called me just gushing on her birthday.

She said she got up early and went to Bolivar and picked out a brand new dress and new shoes, had her hair done, and was hungry and stopped by a Kentucky Fried Chicken in her new 1996 Thunderbird.

As she walked in she said a very handsome man who could not possibly have been fifty opened the door for her and smiled, and he wasn’t feeling sorry for an old lady, either.

She said it just made her day, but it made her feel sorry for me.

I asked why she felt sorry for me, and she said if you don’t smoke yourself to death you’ll live to have your seventieth birthday in 32 more years.

Mama said she had enough good sense to know that handsome young man would not be happy with her for very long at all.

But a man is such a vain, damned fool when you’re seventy and a forty year old woman smiles at you, you’ll think she always will.:)