PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Glorious CONDOR Plug in a Meer...
GsddFrV.jpg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
A quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
I'm curious -- does age do something special to EGR, or did you just really back up the truck in 2014? :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a very tasty lunch, and am closing in on the half way mark on this bowl of first release Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I look forward to hearing about your progress!
I just tried something new and already progressed! 😁

OT:
The second quart of vino is flowing and I got some ideas.
I already discovered that Virginia is the sweetest when ripped (not cut!) off the leaf in little strips and lightly rubbed. And the more pressure you put on it, the spicier it gets.

Now I ripped long strips right off the leaf (a slightly dark ribbed VA) and carefully twisted them into little ropes. They kinda felt like the main stems/ribs of the whole leaf.
20220926_193006 - Copy.jpg

They were ripped apart to roughly equal length and rubbed up a little.
20220926_193753 - Copy.jpg

The VA was recently rehydrated and still on the moist side so I put the rope strips in a tiny glass jar and carefully heated it up.
20220926_195552 - Copy.jpg

Afterwards they felt quite interesting between the fingers, crisp but still flexible and not at all crumbly.
I stuffed it down my clay and lit up. It comes off with a good but mildly earthy and, yeah, very spicy taste that is always surrounded by a decent level of slight sweetness.

20220926_200145 - Copy.jpg

It kinda reminds me of Oriental but it isn't. I have another bowl left that I want to try tomorrow when I'm good and sober but for right now it sure is a very interesting "twist" on Virginia.
With a few days of rest and time to settle down this should turn out to be a really nice and round smoke all on its own.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I just tried something new and already progressed! 😁

OT:
The second quart of vino is flowing and I got some ideas.
I already discovered that Virginia is the sweetest when ripped (not cut!) off the leaf in little strips and lightly rubbed. And the more pressure you put on it, the spicier it gets.

Now I ripped long strips right off the leaf (a slightly dark ribbed VA) and carefully twisted them into little ropes. They kinda felt like the main stems/ribs of the whole leaf.
View attachment 171369

They were ripped apart to roughly equal length and rubbed up a little.
View attachment 171368

The VA was recently rehydrated and still on the moist side so I put the rope strips in a tiny glass jar and carefully heated it up.
View attachment 171370

Afterwards they felt quite interesting between the fingers, crisp but still flexible and not at all crumbly.
I stuffed it down my clay and lit up. It comes off with a good but mildly earthy and, yeah, very spicy taste that is always surrounded by a decent level of slight sweetness.

View attachment 171371

It kinda reminds me of Oriental but it isn't. I have another bowl left that I want to try tomorrow when I'm good and sober but for right now it sure is a very interesting "twist" on Virginia.
With a few days of rest and time to settle down this should turn out to be a really nice and round smoke all on its own.
@Chaukisch Looks good - is this the Virginia for the "Clay King"?
Does it smoke well on its own - I've had C&D Yorktown and that's a straight Virginia; appropriate for Redcoats & Revolutionaries:)
This is the baccy I was smoking in the clay pipe at Cromford Mill when the blacksmith lit it with an ember from his forge!
I've sent a reply to out PM conversation.
Everyone says well done for my "Highly Commended" award at the Radio Sheffield Make A Difference awards ceremony!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
2018 SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve in a fishtail logo Sasieni Regent.

Received stummel only in a lot of pipes, it was in rough shape. Rim was destroyed, topped about 1/4” off, the stummel sanded to even out the color. And my interpretation of an early four dot stem from a blank.

A high grade restoration it ain’t… just a knock around pipe that’s a great smoker.

A017ECFE-41D3-44CC-BDCB-63444A0955D3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.