PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Now watching Boston Legal on HULU. It's got a great cast performing pretty schlocky scripts with irritating camera zooms in and out of the city as transition pieces. Though on a quality par with fast food, it's enjoyable because of the cast.

2.5 out of 5

Reactions: jpmcwjr

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Watched The Spy Who Came in From the Cold the other day...only saw it once before which was decades ago and didn't remember much.

Above average writing for this kind of movie (never read the novel so I don't know how it compares) and IMO a much more "cold" and realistic take on the spy tale than the typical cold war dialectic propaganda usually dished out in this genre. I'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

"What rules are you playing?"

"There's only one rule...expediency."

GatorElGato

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Ohio
instagram.com
Watched The Spy Who Came in From the Cold the other day...only saw it once before which was decades ago and didn't remember much.

Above average writing for this kind of movie (never read the novel so I don't know how it compares) and IMO a much more "cold" and realistic take on the spy tale than the typical cold war dialectic propaganda usually dished out in this genre. I'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

"What rules are you playing?"

"There's only one rule...expediency."

Solid flick, you should check out tinker tailor soldier spy. Both the mini series and the movie.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Solid flick, you should check out tinker tailor soldier spy. Both the mini series and the movie.
Thanks for the reminder and the tip...I had meant to watch that movie and I wasn't aware of the older mini series (just looked it up).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
American Pie documentary, 3.5/5. I was in middle school when this came out, my 7th grade English teacher loved it (and Simon & Garfunkle). We studied and dissected their songs. So, American Pie always takes me back to 7th grade.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
American Pie documentary, 3.5/5. I was in middle school when this came out, my 7th grade English teacher loved it (and Simon & Garfunkle). We studied and dissected their songs. So, American Pie always takes me back to 7th grade.

Cool - 12 years old, had a paper route, knew every word! Same here. My 10th grade English teacher had us have a go at it, but she didn't have many insights (so many more now than then) and what did we know, lol, but it was fun.

Years ago we took our girls to the State Fair to see the American Idol bunch on tour (hey, they wanted to go, we went). Walking about the grounds that afternoon, I heard a familiar voice - on a small stage Don McLean was performing a free, solo afternoon concert - it was amazing, just him and his guitar. "Vincent" and "American Pie" were what I wanted to hear and was just in time to catch the last part of his performance and both those tunes.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Lord of The Rings, The Rindjred's of blah.......
1/5. Visually stunning, but not a single character to get invested in. Poor writing and acting. Staid performances infront of green screen is depressing. So much money wastefully thrown at a TV show such as this, and the abomination Star Wars has become under Disney makes me fear for the future of TV writing. Where has writing for shows like The Wire, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Seasons 1-4 of GOT gone?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Britbox. 3.5/5
View attachment 165490
Four-part drama based on the extraordinary story of how prison officer John Darwin faked his own death to claim life insurance and avoid bankruptcy - unbeknownst to his two sons.
So far, this has been excellent. I don't remember if I'm on episode 3 or 4, but I'm loving it. Something in the same vein of a serious story that's ridiculously hilarious is "Don't Forget the Driver". 5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.