What is the Worst Pipe Tobacco You have ever Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Gawith's Louisiana flake for me.

I don't mind lakelands but Gawith's offering can be a little unpredictable regarding their essences. The batch that my Louisiana flake came from seemed to have been used to mop up spilled Tonquin bean essence, the whole flake tasted like burning carpet underlay.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
So like a combination of Erinmore and Condor then?

The various Virginias provide a ton of tartly sour and tangy, acidic fermented citrus, some fermented tangy ripe dark fruit, wood, earth, a lot of grass and vegetation, light bread, cigar and spice notes, and are quite floral. They are bold lead components. The dry, very sour, herbal, floral, earthy, woody, mildly spicy, vegetative, Oriental is a supporting player. Figs may be the so-called “discreet” topping, but there’s so much perfume, fruit and sour floralness that more toppings are definitely in the mix. If this is discreet, I’d sure hate to see what the manufacturer thinks strong is. You can taste the underlying tobaccos, but the toppings greatly tone them down. The strength is in the center of medium to strong, while the taste level is very full. The nic-hit is medium. Won’t bite or get harsh but does sport a few rough edges. The flakes may need a little dry time. Burns cool, and a tad slow with a very sweet and sourly bitter, exceptionally floral, perfumy, mildly acidic, consistent flavor that translates to the long lingering unattractive after taste, and more pleasant room note. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke. Will quickly ghost a briar and no meer is safe from that, either. Two stars because it is a polarizing blend: you either hate it or enjoy it.

-JimInks

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Royal Yuck. I would rather have my ball sack stapled to the floor by a rivet gun whilst being ar*e f*cked without a reach around by a bisexual garden gnome wearing a barbed wire condom then ever smoke that stuff again. It has a flavor that resembles the imagined taste of sucking the farts out of a swan. A close second would be Clan which is just so unpleasant I doubt even Jim Inks would smoke the stuff!
The absence of the reach-around really does make all the difference. rotf

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a bad time with a MacBaren's mixture blend of some kind that claimed about ten constituent tobaccos on the tin and was one of three harshest tobaccos I've smoked. I don't think it is sold any more. The regular customers quit smoking or died maybe. Worse, I kept trying to like it and mixed it with still other leaf, none of which helped.

Reactions: JOHN72

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Huh, my palate must be pretty unrefined. Quite a few favorites of mine others cannot stand. Oh well. No accounting for tastes, especially tastes that lace more for me.

To make up for that, I'll leave you all the OJK in all its variations. Also all the Borkum Riff and Captain Black. And anything in an Amphora pouch, there's something about Amphora that just does not do it for me. I could never get it to taste right. There was a Sutliff blend that I didn't know was cherry when I picked it up (I cannot stomach cherry flavors). And a black cavendish I found in a jar at a B&M, chemical sweet and flavored with a cubic yard of cinnamon per ounce.

But as always, YMMV.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Scotty’s Stonewall, a P&C bulk blend. It’s sold as an English, but it’s really an untopped aromatic base blend with a token amount of Latakia tossed in. The varietals clash pretty badly. Tastes exactly like vomit. ?
It is, to date, the only tobacco I’ve thrown away. Never again.

Reactions: JOHN72 and badbeard

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The various Virginias provide a ton of tartly sour and tangy, acidic fermented citrus, some fermented tangy ripe dark fruit, wood, earth, a lot of grass and vegetation, light bread, cigar and spice notes, and are quite floral. They are bold lead components. The dry, very sour, herbal, floral, earthy, woody, mildly spicy, vegetative, Oriental is a supporting player. Figs may be the so-called “discreet” topping, but there’s so much perfume, fruit and sour floralness that more toppings are definitely in the mix. If this is discreet, I’d sure hate to see what the manufacturer thinks strong is. You can taste the underlying tobaccos, but the toppings greatly tone them down. The strength is in the center of medium to strong, while the taste level is very full. The nic-hit is medium. Won’t bite or get harsh but does sport a few rough edges. The flakes may need a little dry time. Burns cool, and a tad slow with a very sweet and sourly bitter, exceptionally floral, perfumy, mildly acidic, consistent flavor that translates to the long lingering unattractive after taste, and more pleasant room note. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke. Will quickly ghost a briar and no meer is safe from that, either. Two stars because it is a polarizing blend: you either hate it or enjoy it.

-JimInks
Did Jim really write that or are you just channelling your inner 'Jim' ?

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Hilarious...... This is what makes tobacco discussions fun and tobacco reviews kind of useless for me......... a lot of these passionately hated tobaccos are some of my favorites.

Example: I've tried a lot of tobaccos based on Jiminks reviews and with all due respect....... most of his reviews may be well written, quite descriptive and flowery but I have never, ever tasted anything in a tobacco that he claims is there.

When it comes to tobacco, there is a certain joy in to-each-his-own. No one is really "right" about any good or bad tobaccos. I love that.