PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Ok - I'll go next - I'm a scientist. PhD Organic/Medicinal Chemistry and I will click off 30 years of industrial drug discovery this August 17. 25 years in Big Pharma and 5 in Biotech. I worked in infectious diseases (antivirals, antibacterials, antifungals), cardiovascular and metabolic diseases/diabetes, immunology, oncology, immuno-oncology, neuro-degeneration, rare diseases and then some. Mostly management/leadership over the last 15 years. It's been a wild ride. The industry is far from what it was when I entered it with the dreams of curing cancer (I had that as a teen). I am ready to hang it up soon and spend more time fishing and hanging out on this site.
That’s awesome!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I sell cars. I'm a Volvo Cars Sales Consultant.
Volco's are a nice car but how many a month are you selling. I always sold and managed American car dealers that had truck departments and big used car departments. Being outside of Boston, I sold a lot of plow trucks, 4 wheel drive, box trucks, dump trucks and wrack trucks. That is always where the big money is at plus of course the back end. I got 6 percent kick back from the F&I guy if I hit certain levels.

I only worked at dealers that sold 200 cars a month and over plus they had to have at least 500 cars in inventory at all times.

Reactions: tklee and Salvaje

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
Ok - I'll go next - I'm a scientist. PhD Organic/Medicinal Chemistry and I will click off 30 years of industrial drug discovery this August 17. 25 years in Big Pharma and 5 in Biotech. I worked in infectious diseases (antivirals, antibacterials, antifungals), cardiovascular and metabolic diseases/diabetes, immunology, oncology, immuno-oncology, neuro-degeneration, rare diseases and then some. Mostly management/leadership over the last 15 years. It's been a wild ride. The industry is far from what it was when I entered it with the dreams of curing cancer (I had that as a teen). I am ready to hang it up soon and spend more time fishing and hanging out on this site.
My son is working on his PHD in physical chemistry (will do a dna test cause no way I could be his father), anyway he sent me a paper he just published, I did not understand the title much less the paper, chemistry people be smart.
cheers

glub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2021
KC MO
I've worked in pretty much every aspect of IT over the years, but currently a dev in big data.

Or, as my buddy who's a fireman says, a "professional computer toucher."

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
-Dishwasher
-Cook
-Carpenter
-Tank driver
-Airborne Infantryman
-Special Forces Soldier
-22 year US Army retiree
-Government Contractor
-Private investigator
-Part owner in wife’s Acting Studio
-Sheltered Animal adopter/supporter
-College Student
-Veteran
-Teacher
-Struggling pipe maker
What was your MOS, and q course number?

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Volco's are a nice car but how many a month are you selling. I always sold and managed American car dealers that had truck departments and big used car departments. Being outside of Boston, I sold a lot of plow trucks, 4 wheel drive, box trucks, dump trucks and wrack trucks. That is always where the big money is at plus of course the back end. I got 6 percent kick back from the F&I guy if I hit certain levels.

I only worked at dealers that sold 200 cars a month and over plus they had to have at least 500 cars in inventory at all times.
Wow.... Nice! 6 percent is a lot.... ? Here, commission is only 0.6% for all brands. Volvo in our country is in the middle ranking. A top sales averagely sells around 6 to 7 cars a month. I'm in the middle, I averagely sell around 3 to 4 cars a month ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wow.... Nice! 6 percent is a lot.... ? Here, commission is only 0.6% for all brands. Volvo in our country is in the middle ranking. A top sales averagely sells around 6 to 7 cars a month. I'm in the middle, I averagely sell around 3 to 4 cars a month ?
Wow, if you worked for me you would have been fired your first month. If you couldn't sell 15 plus cars a month I got rid of you. I never flooded the floor with rookie salesman who knew shit. I also wanted my best people taking the most ups. We had no up system, if you were slow you got passed by. Me and my crew worked 60-70 hours a week. We worked hard, partied hard and all made great money for back then.

My first year on the floor as a salesman in 1984 I made over 55,000. I
then got spiffs from Chrysler as well. My first management job was as a truck manager and they created a pay plan they thought was impossible to achieve. I began making 10,000 checks every month , strictly commissions and after a while they had to fuck with my plan. Instead of no salary they gave me 50K a year plus 5% net of the sales department, I took them from number 35 in the zone of New England all the way to number 3.

Reactions: karam and tklee

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Wow, if you worked for me you would have been fired your first month. If you couldn't sell 15 plus cars a month I got rid of you. I never flooded the floor with rookie salesman who knew shit. I also wanted my best people taking the most ups. We had no up system, if you were slow you got passed by. Me and my crew worked 60-70 hours a week. We worked hard, partied hard and all made great money for back then.

My first year on the floor as a salesman in 1984 I made over 55,000. I
then got spiffs from Chrysler as well. My first management job was as a truck manager and they created a pay plan they thought was impossible to achieve. I began making 10,000 checks every month , strictly commissions and after a while they had to fuck with my plan. Instead of no salary they gave me 50K a year plus 5% net of the sales department, I took them from number 35 in the zone of New England all the way to number 3.
Different market bro. Our target is only 3 units per month. In Malaysia, whole year, Volvo total sales is only 1700+ in year 2021. And its ranking 3rd in premium car segment. 1st is Mercedes, 2nd is BMW. This brand nearly dead in Malaysia 6 years ago. Only in 2016 after Geely took over Volvo, then only it slowly grew.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Different market bro. Our target is only 3 units per month. In Malaysia, whole year, Volvo total sales is only 1700+ in year 2021. And its ranking 3rd in premium car segment. 1st is Mercedes, 2nd is BMW. This brand nearly dead in Malaysia 6 years ago. Only in 2016 after Geely took over Volvo, then only it slowly grew.
How much mark up is in a Volvo? Also what is your new and used car pacs? What percentage of the gross do you get? Do you have an 899.00 doc fee on every contract? Do you get any kick back from the F&I department?

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
How much mark up is in a Volvo? Also what is your new and used car pacs? What percentage of the gross do you get? Do you have an 899.00 doc fee on every contract? Do you get any kick back from the F&I department?
I'm not sure about the margin bro, coz it's set by the principle. But an XC90 T8 Inscription (Hybrid version) is around our currency MYR 432,000. Which is around USD 100,000. You can't compare US market with Malaysia market. Do you have 100% government Sales Tax, and Excise duty? Will you fork out USD 100,000 to buy a Hybrid Volvo? Whereas, it's only starting USD 40,000 to USD 50,000 selling in US.

Initially first year depreciation rate in our used car market is around 25%. Means, once you get a new car, the next day you sell it out, you will automatically loose 100,000. Most of the people here buy car with bank loan. Not cash. Some, even they've used the car for 5 or 6 years, after they sell out, it's not even enough to cover their bank loan.

It's different bro. Different country with different government tax structure, and different market. Even different use car value ?.

Reactions: StringBEan