Where Did the Peterson Premier System Line Go?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
As recently as early 2021 I was able to find Peterson Premier System pipes for sale alongside the Standard System and Deluxe System pipes. For me the Premier line was the sweet spot of System pipes and a great value—they had the appealing understated design of the Standard line but were a more premium offering with higher grade briar, sterling silver mounts, a beautiful medium brown finish (for both smooth and sandblasted), and not least included the same aluminum “chimney” condenser stem attachment you get with the Deluxe.

I enjoy the Standard and Deluxe lines as well, but I really appreciated the position the Premier line filled, both smooth and sandblasted. I am grateful I was able to acquire a few before they seemingly faded away. Does anyone know what happened to this line?

Reactions: simong

Lee D

Lurker
Aug 2, 2022
I agree with both your preference for Premier grade system pipes and also your observation that they are even more scarce than they have traditionally been (say the last 25 years) - especially the smooth ones. My guess is Peterson doesn't see briar nice enough to use that finish very often, and when it does, it is made into a more expensive pipe.

Second-hand seems to increasingly be the only option for smooth Premier System pipes, and the situation is not much better for blasted finishes.

Reactions: briarfoxx

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
My guess is Peterson doesn't see briar nice enough to use that finish very often, and when it does, it is made into a more expensive pipe.
I was wondering something along these lines as well. I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence, but the vanishing of Premier System pipes seems to somewhat align with the appearance of the new Deluxe Classics Line of non-System pipes that Peterson released around May 2021. I wonder if they redirected the caliber of briar that was going towards Premier System pipes to these new Terracotta (and Natural) Deluxe Classics pipes.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Here's a Mark Irwin blog entry from 2017 - you might want to email him with your question.
Thank you for the link—that was an interesting read. That entry details the Spigot System specifically, though, which is different from the regular Premier System.

Emailing Mark Irwin is an excellent suggestion. If anyone would know, he would. Thanks!

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I also realized that Peterson’s own website no longer lists the Premier System line on their System catalog page, which probably does not bode well for the line.
I emailed Peterson a month ago or so to see if when the System Standard Smooth 317 in 9mm would be available again (it is supposed to be a gift for a buddy). Their reply was that they didn't know "if/when" they would be available again. That's a pretty basic pipe, and they don't know if it will be available? Not a great sign.

I love my Petes, but I feel like they are doing too many specialty lines, and it is hurting what is supposed to be their core offerings. The Premier System would be one of those that suffered. I'm sure it makes sense financially for them, but it is annoying for me haha.

Reactions: simong

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Mark loves questions like this, let us know how he responds. Peterson fans are fortunate to have such an accessible brand resource.
Yes, we are! I love Mark’s articles and the great detail he goes into.

I reached out to him on an older article about dating a NOS (New Old Stock) Premier pipe. This was his response (full thread here):
I’m sure it will surface again. It’s all a matter of bowls on hand and production. Having said that, I will say that the smooth Premiers have always–as in ALWAYS–been the rarest of the upper range Systems. There’s far more Deluxe than Premiers. Sighting a Premier System is always an exciting day for me. On eBay or someone’s retail site. The last Premier Smooths I remember seeing in any quantity were at least 10 years ago now. I almost prefer them for both their scarcity and the domed mount.

Great news! We just gotta keep keeping an eye out! I had no idea how rare they were.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I emailed Peterson a month ago or so to see if when the System Standard Smooth 317 in 9mm would be available again (it is supposed to be a gift for a buddy). Their reply was that they didn't know "if/when" they would be available again.
I’ve gone through similar searching quests for specific Peterson Deluxe System models, which can be quite intermittent in their availability as well. I’ve found I need to be opportunistic and periodically keep an eye out to snag one whenever they happen to show up. That unfortunately isn’t of much use when you’re shopping with a deadline. I hope you’re able to find one for your friend!

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can't help but notice that it seems like since the acquisition their quality control has gone up a lot. Which is also the same time that certain lines seem harder to get ahold of. I have no proof but it wouldn't surprise me if availability is tied to quality issues in some way. I don't know just one of those little maybes.