PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I do enjoy my job, but unfortunately it looks like the future is cloudy for us. We’ve been hit hard by cost increases and consolidation in the industry. With a family depending on you it’s a hard position to be in. Things are tough in the economy regardless of what you hear on tv in my opinion.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I do enjoy my job, but unfortunately it looks like the future is cloudy for us. We’ve been hit hard by cost increases and consolidation in the industry. With a family depending on you it’s a hard position to be in. Things are tough in the economy regardless of what you hear on tv in my opinion.
Yeah. Your "opinion" is based on real world experience, whilst what's on TV is pure propaganda. Like you, I trust my observations to guide my actions for future security of self and family.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m an in-house corporate attorney. As a career, I certainly don’t love it. I do it to make money, but I have no passion for it.

However, it’s not something that bothers me. My current position is great in many ways. I’m a contractor solely dedicated to the legal department of a very large multi-national corporation. I work entirely remotely, I’m paid reasonably well, and I do interesting and challenging work. I produce, and consequently I have little oversight or corporate BS to deal with, and I have great professional relationships with people on multiple continents. I could make more in another position, but my current gig allows me an excellent work-life balance, and that’s very valuable to me. When I shut down the laptop at the end of the day, I’m done and that’s that.

In comparison to my former life of nearly 20 years in private practice at a firm, I’m in paradise. The firm was a salt mine, and that world required 60 hour weeks and little control over day to day time. Being at the beck and call of clients at basically all times is just what’s expected. Some people love that pace and excitement, but not me. I value my time in private practice because it paid well and gave me the experience and knowledge base to be able to have a lot of choice in jobs now, but I would never go back to it. I left that life 9 years ago, and I often say that I’m 5 years younger than I was 10 years ago.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I absolutely love my job. I am a union organizer for custodians, para-educators, assistants, craftsman and construction, and food service school employees.

It's 50-70 hours a week, but fairly compensated. I do get a lot of freedom to set most of my hours and do the'office' side from home - all of which allows me to maximize family time. And I work with the hardworking men and women who ensure kids have clean and safe schools and are fed. Defending them, ensuring they have a real retirement, and that they are treated properly and with respect as the blue collar and overlooked school workers.

Sometimes I have to help a bad apple, but that's only to make sure the district follows due process for everyone and if they are really bad, I tell them quitting is their best option. As it usually is. 1000005931.jpg

Last edited:

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I used to love my job, I'm a horticulturist at a golf course, everything that is not playable is my domain. The last year or two time has been creeping up on me and the inevitable knee, back, and hip and shoulder erosion is gaining momentum. I do everything from bed design and arrangement to tree plantings and removals, up down and all around. The only thing I would really change is to have the work year round, it is seasonal work here in Winnipeg and I don't want to leave it for something less varied or less physically active. I guess I still love the job, my gripe is with time's relentless march.

Big plus, I am outdoors all the time and I have the liberty to enjoy a pipe whenever I please. I frequently get compliments on my pie, sometimes even for my work.
That's really interesting and something I've never really thought about. Cool beans.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Boys in the Lab are working with fully autonomous, fully electric tractors to come “home/fuel” and charge at low rate costs. Also will come home to provide vehicle to grid charging when needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 7