PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
What do you like about them?

View attachment 157702
I do. As Chasing Embers said the open draw is excellent but I prefer mine with the filter and find the draw just right. I just acquired two within the last few months and really prefer them. The Barontini 1/2 spigot is one of my favorite pipes. Its cousin the Barontini Gran Duc is my favorite non-filtered pipe. I was smoking savinelli's with 6mm filters (and still rotate them but they are being cleaned now). The 9's have more draw. I haven't tried balsa filters in them yet just charcoal. The only advantage to the filters I have found so far is that if the tobacco has a bit of bite they cut that down quite a bit.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My one pipe is a 9mm and I find the draw too open for me, but with the reducer to 3mm the draw is too restrictive. I've been considering boring the reducer out to 6mm. But I have learned to smoke easier on the more open draw.

Most things I don't care to use a filter. I haven't tried yet, but next time I smoke this Lane Very Cherry, might do so with a filter and that might make it better for me. That said, on the occasion I might use a filter, 9mm I think will be better than 6mm. At least with regards to charcoal filters. And I prefer the charcoal filters to balsa, as the balsa reduces the draw without reducing flavor, but I don't tend to have wetness issues so they're not doing anything for me (just reducing draw for no reason), whereas the charcoal filters mute the taste (hence why they might work out for me with heavily topped aromatics). Though, I do dislike how heavily restrictive the filters are. If they could make the same 9mm filter with 2/3 or 1/2 the amount of filtration and restriction, that would be cool.

Though, my experience with aromatics is limited and I haven't properly dried one yet before smoking.

I did just order another pipe today which is 6mm. Once I have that, I'll be able to contrast the 9mm with the 6mm to see how I feel about boring out the reducer.

So as it stands at the moment, what I like about 9mm is the 9mm charcoal filter. I can plausibly see myself having a few 9mm pipes with filters for rough blends and a bunch of 6mm for use without filters.

Only time will tell.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I can't stand 6mm filter pipes. They don't draw well and are a mess to clean.

None-the-less, I recently bought an inexpensive Savinelli 9mm and absolutely love it -- with Savinelli balsa filters. The draw with the filter is perfect. The smoke is cool with normal flavor. The clean up is a breeze. It makes all my fancy pipes kind of redundant and unnecessary.

Who knew?

Andim

Lurker
Jul 8, 2022
My very first pipe was a Savinelli with a 6mm filter, which, as others have found, does not really have a good draw. I have a lovely Vauen 9mm that I smoke regularly with a charcoal filter. I find the smoke muted somehow, and so I smoke it late at night when the taste buds are tired. But, it seems that the filter makes the pipe shank very gunky. I don't know if others have noticed this as well, or it's my style of smoking.

Reactions: jaytex1969

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I don't mind the draw with a 6mm charcoal balsa has a better draw to me that being said i change the 6mm charcoal after just a couple bowls and don't let it ride for 4 or 5 bowls. I have on pipe with a 9mm charcoal and I like that as well haven't tried balsa in it because i bought a box of 50 filters and that will last me a bit. Same as with most others here, the filter helps with the gurgle and the bite. I don't notice too much flavor reduction, I have many many 3mm Comoy, Dunhill, etc., filterless and tobacco tastes about the same or close enough in all of them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister gave me a Kemperling 9 MM smooth bent Rhodesian wth bead lines. This is an Austrian pipe from her travels, with a good big chamber and a pleasant light stain. She also sent a pack of the filters. I like smoking it with the filters, but even more, the openness of smoking it without a filter, with an open draw.

In the U.S., it seems to me that 9 MM pipes are frequently sold at good prices, precisely because they aren't as popular in the U.S. as Europe. German and Austrian pipes share a kind of reserved orderly design which is distinctive, and in some pipes, very handsome.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Yep, same with me smoking without the filter - wide,open, effortless.
My Savinelli smokes itself.

I will only buy Savinelli 9mm pipes from now on, plus I really dig their coloured stems, acrylic doesn't bother me.

Love the stem connection too, the extended plastic tube where I suppose the filter would go - not too tight and easy to pull apart.

So yep, big fan.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Sorry it’s a no from me,only have one 9mm filter pipe and I am looking to sell it as not only filtered but Acrylic stem as well.Prefer vulcanite I have decided

Reactions: jaytex1969

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
What do you like about them?

View attachment 157702
I like the draw of the filtered pipe a little more than the standard 3mm unfiltered.
I like the *idea* of less tars and crud coming through the airstream, although how much gets filtered can be debated.
I also am not a nicotine heavyweight, so any reduction in nicotine in the heavier blends is appreciated.
One more for good measure: I hate tongue bite, and the charcoal filters help with that. Certain blends are worse than others, so it might be a PH thing, but filters do seem to help me

Reactions: Cap and jaytex1969