Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
IMG_3215.jpeg
IMG_3216.jpeg
IMG_3219.jpeg
IMG_3217.jpeg
IMG_3218.jpeg
I got this Weber unsmoked off of eBay. I actually double pumped on the purchase because I just wasn’t 100% sure it was unsmoked but the seller declined my cancellation request (well within his right to) and I’m happy he did because it is indeed unsmoked. I took all pictures of nomenclature but let me know if any more are needed to make any determination. Does shape 26 ring a bell to anyone? That’s the stamp on the opposite side of the Weber stamping so I’m assuming that’s the shape number the English factory would have called this pipe.

Reactions: didimauw

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
View attachment 280702
View attachment 280704
View attachment 280705
View attachment 280706
View attachment 280707
I got this Weber unsmoked off of eBay. I actually double pumped on the purchase because I just wasn’t 100% sure it was unsmoked but the seller declined my cancellation request (well within his right to) and I’m happy he did because it is indeed unsmoked. I took all pictures of nomenclature but let me know if any more are needed to make any determination. Does shape 26 ring a bell to anyone? That’s the stamp on the opposite side of the Weber stamping so I’m assuming that’s the shape number the English factory would have called this pipe.

Before WW2 Weber was one of the important independent New York City area manufacturers of five dollar grade and above pipes with KB&B and Marxman, LHS and Custombilt. After the war Lee joined the chorus.

After the war the demand for pipes fell and one by one all the major manufactures sold out or closed and the surviving brands became importers of higher grade pipes, except Kaywoodie that struggled on alone.

Weber eventually bit the dust.

One of the London makers, who could hand shape stems and fashion sterling silver bands, got a contract from the owner of the Weber brand, before they died too.

It might be easier to say which London maker did NOT contract away their brand than which one did, I’d reckon.

Reactions: LeafErikson

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Before WW2 Weber was one of the important independent New York City area manufacturers of five dollar grade and above pipes with KB&B and Marxman, LHS and Custombilt. After the war Lee joined the chorus.

After the war the demand for pipes fell and one by one all the major manufactures sold out or closed and the surviving brands became importers of higher grade pipes, except Kaywoodie that struggled on alone.

Weber eventually bit the dust.

One of the London makers, who could hand shape stems and fashion sterling silver bands, got a contract from the owner of the Weber brand, before they died too.

It might be easier to say which London maker did NOT contract away their brand than which one did, I’d reckon.
Fair enough thank you sir. It’s clearly a high quality pipe and the vulcanite in particular appears to be of a superior grade.

Reactions: Briar Lee

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Same with the American Webers.
Good to know thank you sir. I’ve shied away from vulcanite a bit because the primary experience I’ve had with it is with Ropp pipes and modern Kaywoodies. While I enjoy the pipes (Ropps in particular), both stems have quite a high sulfur content. I have an African meer with a vulcanite stem on the other hand that refuses to oxidize so I know good stuff is out there.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
One of the London makers...got a contract from the owner of the Weber brand, before they died too.

I think Briar Lee is exactly right and there's evidence to suggest it was definitely Comoy, at least in some and perhaps in all cases. To use the example at hand the English Weber bulldog shown by Ryan above is a shape 65. Here's an identically shaped Comoy Golden Arrow that stamped 65:

Comoy shape 65.jpg

Here's another example, also a bulldog, that features identical nomenclature to the OP's pipe This one is for an English Weber shape 675. First note the overall shape:

Weber 675 pic 1.jpg

Then the font and placement of the MADE IN ENGLAND:

Weber 675 pic 2.jpg

Finally the font and placement of the LONDON MADE:

Weber 675 pic 3.jpg

And for comparison here is a Comoy Super Sports bulldog shape 675:

1_d444012a35c0119c097067ce379b22fa(4).jpg

I think finding several models with identical shape numbers on Weber and Comoy pipes is pretty solid evidence that Comoy made some if not all of the English Webers. And while it's possible that Weber may have contracted with other English makers I'm not sure why they would have added needless complexity to their supply chain. In any case there's no doubt in my mind Comoy was one of (if not the only) UK pipemaker Weber used.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
OP, that’s a really nice looking pipe.
Thanks man. It was only $40 on eBay. There is some pitting on the rim, a ding on the stummel, and a ding on the band but it’s 100% unsmoked. Not a bad deal. I’ll end up putting my own dings on it anyway haha.

Reactions: Ryan

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I think Briar Lee is exactly right and there's evidence to suggest it was definitely Comoy, at least in some and perhaps in all cases. To use the example at hand the English Weber bulldog shown by Ryan above is a shape 65. Here's an identically shaped Comoy Golden Arrow that stamped 65:

View attachment 280899

Here's another example, also a bulldog, that features identical nomenclature to the OP's pipe This one is for an English Weber shape 675. First note the overall shape:

View attachment 280903

Then the font and placement of the MADE IN ENGLAND:

View attachment 280904

Finally the font and placement of the LONDON MADE:

View attachment 280905

And for comparison here is a Comoy Super Sports bulldog shape 675:

View attachment 280906

I think finding several models with identical shape numbers on Weber and Comoy pipes is pretty solid evidence that Comoy made some if not all of the English Webers. And while it's possible that Weber may have contracted with other English makers I'm not sure why they would have added needless complexity to their supply chain. In any case there's no doubt in my mind Comoy was one of (if not the only) UK pipemaker Weber used.
My man thank you so much. I think this mystery has been solved. It’s not an easy one because it doesn’t look like there were tons of Webers made in England. The font as you said is also a dead ringer. I knew there had to be some way to solve it using the shape number. I’ll bet a 26 is some sort of Comoy chubby billiard shape.

Reactions: woodsroad