Would This Damage (?) Stop You From Buying?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Hello oh wise ones. I've found a pipe that I absolutely love, but I am not sure if it's damage that means the pipe should be avoided, or whether it's just a common sort of line that runs through briar that could be prone to opening up but may not.
I guess what I'm saying is that I can see it's not perfect (it's old but new/unsmoked) and wondering if this WILL definitely cause a problem and open up more or even split asunder once I started smoking it, or will the band keep it nicely together? Please give me your thoughts and impressions so I can make a buying decision, here's the pics:
damagedpipe2.jpg

damagedpipe1.jpg

Many thanks in anticipation of your guidance.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
to me it looks like a natural flaw in the briar (in the same way that gemstones are often flawed)...from the pictures it does not look too deep and I would not imagine that a crack would develop. If it was up to me, I would still buy this pipe (assuming the price is right), but I would be careful when cleaning it...if a crack should develop the pipe can always be banded with some kind of metal band (in fact the existing metal band may be enough here)...but as I say it does not look like serious damage to me...

oystermouth

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
It all depends on what price is being asked. I have some pipes with flaws just like that and I've been smoking them for years.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Hmm, I like it, two "yays" and one "nay" .... I hope that ratio sticks! I can feel a bidding frenzy coming on.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
mmm love the new avatar, aussielass!
yeah- it really all comes down to price and how much you WANT it ;) would be great to see a pic of the whole pipe

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Then you shall have a whole photo ..... here she be
Edited to add: Drums fingers impatiently, weeeell, what's keep you boy, I'm waiting for your opinion - if it's crap just tell me, I can take it!
damagedpipewhole1.jpg

I ALWAYS get what I want, so consider it mine already :)

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Personally? I wouldn't be too off put by what appears to be as scotrob says a natural flaw. I don't know how well catered for you are in Australia when it comes to Pipe Repairs, but my feeling is that "should" you encounter problems, a good repairman could work wonders for you. The Collar should hold things together. Obviously, these are things you'll need to consider, but if it were me? I'd be saying "Go For It Girl". A very nice Cavalier and an unusually smart one at that. :D

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Well now I'm changing my mind. That pipe is beautiful. It all depends on the price.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Cracked shanks are the most common form of pipe damage, and are almost always the result of abuse of some kind.

The odds are staggeringly high against a natural flaw occurring precisely in the spot where one typically finds such damage.

It is a beautiful pipe. I hope you get it, and at a good price, because it is serviceable and repairable.
I would set my top bid at about $50 USD, and somewhat higher if I was collecting cavaliers.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Still waiting to find a cavalier to add to my herd, that would be a perfect one for me, I like it!

But the crack is damn near a deal breaker.

I'll agree with cortez On the $50usd as a limit. And I'd bid accordingly so that the shipping was part of that $50!

Shame 'bout the crack, what's the make on that pipe?

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Nice Cavalier! I once saw one that accepted the stem on either end, you just swapped the cleanout cap and shank.

Those darn flaws, affectionately known as "knags" will only get worse if in a place that requires structural integrity (like a mortise) Either way - yours is beautiful and that knag might be the reason they went with a mounted shank and ferrule and not be a future problem at all. Some knags are chasms on the surface, or abscessed...it's where the fills go at the seconds factory, or where the tool first gouges upon making a rusticated or sculpted pipe. There is a great PDF about briar here: (via pipedia) THE CHARACTERISTICS OF BRIAR

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
May be my crappy computer screen, but it looks like a Ser Jacopo pipe to me ????

If its a SJ, I can promise you it didnt leave the factory with that flaw in the shank, so in that case its certainly a crack.

Could still be ok with a bit of superglue in the crack.

I'd raise the $50 up, but not by much. Definitely under $100 (pipe was probably $350 new if it is an SJ).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It is a Ser Jacopo (stem has silver "J" logo inset). Ditto lonestar on the superglue fix.

Might even be worth the cost of a professional repair.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
My pocket pipe, a Georgetown Beastie, has a crack in it just about where this one is. I have had this pipe for nearly 30 years. I do not torque it in any way and I am very cautious about how I use it, but I love it so I put up with this 'problem'. Like the others have said. If the price is right, it is a buy, and just play nice with it. BTW, it is a looker...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...like lonestar said, "it didnt leave the factory with that flaw in the shank".

Wood with a flaw like that would have been rejected right after the rough shaping stage -- never to get finished

and stamped Ser Jacopo. It's a broken pipe, and the stem doesn't seat flush with the shank, it droops.

Status
Not open for further replies.