PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
My buddy @Ash Cooper got me some fancy Davidoff cigars and so I've got no excuse not to properly preserve them. I'm primarily a pipe guy so I haven't had a humidor in a minute. Anybody got a small humidor with which they'd like to part? If so, just shoot me a photo and what you'd like for it and we'll talk.

Reactions: pantsBoots

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Go to a cigar shop and buy an empty box with lips on all four sides. make sure the cigar shop doesn't bend hinges back. Same as a cheap humidor and probably seals better. Use Boveda bags - 65%. Box will probably cost you three bucks, Boveda bag - five bucks. You have a humidor for eight bucks!

Reactions: jbfrady

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Grab a Rubbermain Brilliance from a department store and throw in a boveda pack from your local tobaccanist or headshop. Your in for about $15 and theyll stay good for a year.

You can even use those push-top style tupperwares people use for cereal and whatnot. They’re in Walmart and Target.

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Look on eBay for Seahorse 56 Micro - they’re about $20, and lockable if it matters. Toss a Boveda pack in, and you’ll be set for months. I’ve used these with great success for quite a while, much less maintenance than a traditional humidor.

Reactions: jbfrady
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Buy this and a 65% boveda and you're in business. One pack could last up to a year depending on how much you're opening the jar. Never had any issues with this setup.
Ps. Just ignore the built in humidifier. The boveda pack handles everything.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Honestly a cheap humidor is going to give you nothing but troubles. A cigar box same thing. Glass Rubbermaid with 65% boveda all the way. I prefer plastic coolers to humidors. They hold Rh like a boss. Cheap humidors are a headache

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
My buddy @Ash Cooper got me some fancy Davidoff cigars and so I've got no excuse not to properly preserve them. I'm primarily a pipe guy so I haven't had a humidor in a minute. Anybody got a small humidor with which they'd like to part? If so, just shoot me a photo and what you'd like for it and we'll talk.

As mentioned above, you're better with a sealable container such as a Tupperware/Rubbermaid and either some humidity beads (I've used Heartfelt beads for well over 10 years to great results) or some Boveda. Wash new Tupperware a couple times with mild detergent and baking soda, then set in the sun to remove "new plastic" smell.

If it needs to be a bona fide humidor, either find a quality used one on eBay, or be ready to spend good money on a reputable brand. Cheap, small humidors often leak excessively. Avoid anything with a see-through glass or plexi top as the wood/plexi joint is usually very poor.

If you're looking at aging boxes, a cooler is the way to go. Use cleaning directions above.