PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Anybody else have their own blend?
I’m currently enjoying Fraser’s Flake?
What’s in it you ask?
Bit of everything and anything. Leftovers ? There’s definitely a wee bit of Ennerdale, some Irish Flake and good old St Bruno. Probably several others but I’m not a record keeper. Pack, light, enjoy!

Attachments

• 2B95EC0F-BB53-4F33-A3A3-3478BCAB800C.jpeg
    2B95EC0F-BB53-4F33-A3A3-3478BCAB800C.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
For over 30 plus years, I've smoked my own blend. So secret, I am not exactly sure what is in it myself. The blends come from John Dengler of Saint Charles. I use 4 parts of a blend he refers to as Packet, is most likely a Lane blend, one that is "jet black aromatic fire-cured tobaccos directly flavored mixed in with what they call Lucky Star, a blend of Virginia and Burleys enhanced with nougat.

It's mild and easy to smoke, especially after a hard day when I just want to forget about things and relax.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
If I went to my local tobacconist for a private blend, what would it have in it? Hmm, let’s reflect upon the available components.

It would likely be three parts emptied tubes of Player’s Light, one part of whatever weed it is they sell, and a soupçon of failed lottery tickets, hand-ripped into a coarse cut by annoyed punters.

Mar 1, 2014
Right now I'm trying to create replicas of Dunhill blends using cheaper bulk alternatives, and with some creative substitutions, e.g. 965 with Gawith Hoggarth Dark Birdseye instead of Cavendish. I'm calling it "965 Hardcore".
The recipe is basically just adding 25% Dark Birdseye to Cornell & Diehl Star of the East.
I also raise the proportion of Orientals, though I doubt the bulk Orientals available are the same as what you'd get in a high quality tinned English so I know the mixture is slightly compromised in that regard.

Star of the East makes a good blending base because it has so much Latakia that you'd have to blend it down a lot before it loses its robust smokiness.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
A friend, several years ago, made a special blend that included mostly flakes and a lot of McClelland blends. Fortunately, he made a couple of pounds of which I have 1. I've had it aging for over 5 years and it is really good. I have the recipe...but with McC. gone...what is the point?

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Yep, had a blend of 3 parts MCc 5100, 2 parts MCc blending orientals, and 1 part Dunhill A30000. I’d press into a cake for 30 days, then jar. Sadly MCc is defunct, and while I can substitute another Virginia (I’m not too much into the overall nuances of reds, so 515 or Watch City will work for my palate) I can’t find a suitable replacement for the orientals.?

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Because they were open and nearing the bottom of each, so not secret or special... 5 or 6 smokes of 2020 Cringle Flake, GH&Co Brown Flake unscented, and Match Elizabethan. Quite enjoyable but I won't often mix Cringle with others as its too enjoyable and limited. The two without Cringle are quite nice as well.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Years ago, I jarred a 50/50 mix of a 3.5 tin of MacBaren Virginia #1 and Carter Hall — because I didn’t care for the VA #1 alone.

I still dip into that jar occasionally. It’s the cream and sugar to my black coffee when I’m in that mood. Very tasty and sweet combination. The age helps too. Been 10 years.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
No secret blends, but I do have a “trash blend” consisting of 4-5 ounces of various Tinderbox aromatics that I’m too apathetic about to smoke on their own, enough Prince Albert and Carter Hall to smooth them together, and enough Stokkebye Amsterdam, Turkish, and Norwegian to make it palatable. It’s not bad, and saves those mediocre Tinderbox blends from the trash can.

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
My recent blend is some D&R Vengeur...about 4 oz., a flake or two of Newminster 400 and about 3 bowls worth of Bosun Cut Plug.

The end result is a lovely mix of flavors and nuance with a medium nic hit. It’s got a bit of everything going for it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This is not my secret blend. This is a blend forum member @woodsroad graciously shared with me years ago.

I’m not a fan of cognac so I substituted Lagavulin 18 and I named the blend Smokey Bastard.

I ended up making 5 lbs. I gave up smoking this kind of blend and I gave it to my uncle. He told me it’s the greatest blend he’s ever smoked. Mind you, if I don’t give him tobacco he smokes Admiral, so I’m not sure it’s high praise.

2866B308-A32B-440C-A8D8-7558A47924F8.jpeg1F72BA80-37DB-4A24-89AF-B3C56A562025.jpeg

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
It's no secret, I've posted it often on the "What are you smoking" thread.
Dino's Balkan Blend: 2 parts McClelland 5100, 2 parts McClelland Syrian Latakia, 1 part McClelland Blending Oriental and 1 part D&R Yenidje. Luckily, I have enough supply of the components to last me a while.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This is not my secret blend. This is a blend forum member @woodsroad graciously shared with me years ago.

I’m not a fan of cognac so I substituted Lagavulin 18 and I named the blend Smokey Bastard.

I ended up making 5 lbs. I gave up smoking this kind of blend and I gave it to my uncle. He told me it’s the greatest blend he’s ever smoked. Mind you, if I don’t give him tobacco he smokes Admiral, so I’m not sure it’s high praise.

View attachment 79597View attachment 79598
I'm glad that your uncle enjoyed this blend, Tim. I felt that the cognac was a bit overwhelming, and subsequently cut it back to 10ml. You can eliminate the spirits entirely to no ill effect, just be sure to add some water. Pack with a BaccyPacker if you have one. It's really enjoyable after a couple of years.

Reactions: rushx9

RKRoadie1960

Lurker
Apr 4, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Anybody else have their own blend?
I’m currently enjoying Fraser’s Flake?
What’s in it you ask?
Bit of everything and anything. Leftovers ? There’s definitely a wee bit of Ennerdale, some Irish Flake and good old St Bruno. Probably several others but I’m not a record keeper. Pack, light, enjoy!
A mixture of Latakia and Stoved Black Virginia that I have named " The Devil's Dance"...... Oh so good!

Reactions: Frasermac
Status
Not open for further replies.