PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I like zippo lighters to light my pipe. I have three of them at the moment and one has the pipe lighter insert. Do you prefer the standard or pipe insert ? I tend towards the regular zippo as I think it lights a full pipe better and provides an even charring light.
I have used a Zippo for many years and have a callus on my thumb to prove it !

• Haha
Reactions: Reggie and FLDRD

MGAOKC

Might Stick Around
Oct 2, 2022
OKC OK
Has anyone tried one of Zippo’s yellow flame butane pipe lighters.
It has the hole in the side like a regular pipe lighter.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Has anyone tried the "Z-Pipe!" butane insert? Been curious to try it, but haven't yet.
I swapped out all my zippo inserts for thunderbird butane ones. Not sure if they are the same as the z-pipe inserts you mentioned only with different branding. I prefer these over the standard zippo inserts because I don't really like the smell of the lighter fluid or the need to refuel them so often as the fluid evaporates quickly. The butane inserts hold their fluid very well and I find they work better in the wind than my Old Boys.

Reactions: SBC

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I swapped out all my zippo inserts for thunderbird butane ones. Not sure if they are the same as the z-pipe inserts you mentioned only with different branding. I prefer these over the standard zippo inserts because I don't really like the smell of the lighter fluid or the need to refuel them so often as the fluid evaporates quickly. The butane inserts hold their fluid very well and I find they work better in the wind than my Old Boys.
Yes, all of this (and the fact that it's easier to not scorch your rim) is exactly why I like the Thunderbird inserts in theory.

Unfortunately for me, mine take tons of strikes to light and have inconsistent flames.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Has anyone tried the "Z-Pipe!" butane insert? Been curious to try it, but haven't yet.
I haven't but I've been interested in trying them as they're similar to the Thunderbird inserts. I've only had 1/3 Thunderbirds work well so I'm curious to see if the Z inserts are better.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
It’s ok. Takes a bunch of presses to get it to light. Thought I’d like it, but I’m a much bigger fan of flint based lighters. Peterson, IMCOs and Zippo with pipe insert.