PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
After a mostly successful traditional Balkan blend, I am trying my hand with an American Style Balkan.

Components include:
  • White Burley (40%)
  • Virginias (25%)
  • Orientals (15%)
  • Cavendish (15%)
  • Latakia (5%)
After blending all the components, I made (what I am calling) a Paupers Press. This consists of a ziplock bag, and about 20 zip-ties.

Going to check it each day for about a week and tighten up the zip-ties.

We will see what happens! 0DDDADB3-5DC5-48B3-B8AC-0C5210A2BD60.jpeg

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Yep, I had read that and am considering picking one up, but wanted to try this method to see!
They actually work really well. I cut the lid of a mason jar to fit inside the noodle die & line the inside with parchment paper. Tighten it every day or so. I usually leave in the press for about a week & have a nice, firm puck when I push it out. It will expand some but stays fairly packed after removing it.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
They actually work really well. I cut the lid of a mason jar to fit inside the noodle die & line the inside with parchment paper. Tighten it every day or so. I usually leave in the press for about a week & have a nice, firm puck when I push it out. It will expand some but stays fairly packed after removing it.
Agreed. I cut a disc from a Pringles lid (plastic).
I read an article written by ErnieQ from Watch City. He recommended warming the tobacco before pressing. I did, and tightened daily for a week. The result was a very firm puck.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
So after about a week I carefully cut the zipties to see what the results would be for this Paupers Press.

The results are that it was pretty much like a rope plug as it is dense and firm. Cut off a couple thick tokens with a knife, that I realized needed sharpening. I think with a sharper knife I might be able to slice thinner and it be a true coin.

I have not yet smoked it, that will happen later this week.

All in all a pretty fun experiment and it pressed the tobacco, which was the main objective! 553599E1-4F96-41DA-B0D6-96D8FE563C5F.jpegE80834CB-FA75-4AE6-975F-D4E65F261165.jpeg11F70355-38FD-4FDA-AF18-10714EB08CED.jpegD8178FD5-5D9F-44C4-B573-F78AC4E57446.jpeg46779A6F-FD9D-41F6-BCDA-DE8EAF71DCFE.jpeg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
After a mostly successful traditional Balkan blend, I am trying my hand with an American Style Balkan.

Components include:
  • White Burley (40%)
  • Virginias (25%)
  • Orientals (15%)
  • Cavendish (15%)
  • Latakia (5%)
After blending all the components, I made (what I am calling) a Paupers Press. This consists of a ziplock bag, and about 20 zip-ties.

Going to check it each day for about a week and tighten up the zip-ties.

We will see what happens! View attachment 275334
I don't know, but I wouldn't call a blend with only 5% Latakia a Balkan. puffy

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I decided to press another homemade blend I had previously blended. This one has way more latakia, alongside Virginia and Izmir. After pressing I am wondering could I just light this up like a cigar? 😉3888C96D-58BD-4510-9B65-52F17B35C002.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Very cool man! Has me curious to start home blending!
Yeah one day I just went for it. Made an English blend with various Virginias, Latakia, and Izmir. I let it sit for 6 months in a jar. Tried it and was pleasantly surprised by it. Got tastes of latakia, and hints of citrus. Was not bad at all. It is no Plum Pudding but it is okay.

Reactions: Tate

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
To update on the American Balkan blend. I smoked a few bowls in a cob and it was rough, harsh, and lacked flavor, but I did not die from it. I sent most of it to a buddy who upon smoking a couple bowls also remarked it was harsh, but thinks that with some cellaring it might mellow out.

I was surprised on how harsh it was and how hot it smoked in the cob. However, I realized with the new cob I had put in an adapter to make it non-filtered. After smoking several other blends in that cob and each one was hot and harsh I realized that perhaps it needed a filter. So last week I put a filter in and smoked Newminster No. 400 and BOOM it was a much cooler smoke and very pleasant. (Note: I do not use filters on briars).

All that being said I think the blend might still be rough but not as harsh as I thought due to the cob not having a filter.

Reactions: BCF