PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
About $45 for eight ounce box, if you can find it not backordered.

Highly Recommended- Worth Backordering

Description:

Samuel Gawith makes some of the most sought-after and recognizable pipe tobaccos in the industry, and among the most legendary is Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake. It begins with wonderfully sweet Virginias blended with dark-fired tobacco, enhanced with an intriguing Lakeland top note that makes the flavor smoother and more harmonious. While the taste is sweet and slightly smoky with a creaminess provided by the top dressing, don't let the gentle flavor fool you - this is a serious blend best enjoyed by veteran pipe fans, especially after a nice dinner or before bedtime. This never lasts long, so get yours while it's available.

——

This blend is heavily flavored with the extract of the tonquin bean, or coumarin, which is one of the flavorings used in Half and Half.

Tonquin Bean - https://thetastebudz.wordpress.com/worlds-ingredients/tonquin-bean/

Tobacco tasting is by nature subjective but if you don’t like this you need to smoke a pipe a few more years, and I promise you will.

1792 Flake comes in long pressed, moist, oily, glistening, flakes all nestled in a little plastic tray inside the box, sealed up with plastic.

One flake, folds up in fours and diced and sliced thin with a razor sharp knife, fills my big Peterson 307.

It’s a bit difficult to get fired up, and there’s more relights than usual.

1792 is a strong, nicotine rich tobacco, but smoooooth.

Under the Lakeland sauce of coumarin I can taste wonderful Virginias and rich dark fired burleys, but there’s this tonquin bean taste that’s just delicious beyond words to describe. You have to try this yourself, to believe how good a Lakeland can be.

FD72A636-ECCA-4944-82F1-213E50A61A42.jpegD83D0E4C-DDFA-42FB-8F5E-061CD799B3DD.jpeg
4473F5A9-477B-423D-A64D-E7609307522F.jpegAB6251A7-3816-483E-BF5D-A9482FE37851.jpeg

If you are a veteran pipe smoker you will love this tobacco.

I’m jest a sotten here a remenisin’ ‘bout when my old Grandma Ma Agee used to write fer The Index, a new installment each week ‘bout Ma, Pa, Sy Thomas and Saydee, and sometimes Saydee’s young’un what lived over a half mile South of Bug Tussle.

Pa woulda guv up hiz homegrown Long Green, fer 1792 Flake.:)

You owe yourself this. It’s worth the wait for a back order.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Great post. Very close to my desert island blend. I have old stock, I don't smoke a lot, so I have plenty. But...id prefer not to ration it and I do worry about some rumors that it's no longer as 'aromatic' as it once was. Hope that's not the case! I'd welcome comments on that...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Great write up. I love the new packaging! This is an all time favorite of mine, perfect to start and end your day with. Pairs great with a hot cup of coffee and/or tea. These flakes age really well too, it’s not that it gets better with age but I’ve found that it doesn’t change much at all, which I prefer. This is a prefect example of tobacco that highlights what a well conceived sauce can add to the already complex flavors of the natural leaf. Every time I smoke this blend, it’s like coming home. One of the few tobaccos I prefer in a smaller chamber like a squat bulldog. Brilliant stuff!

@Briar Lee , have you been lucky enough to try Bracken Flake before it was discontinued? Another favorite of mine. I saw someone had some tins they were selling on here recently but their asking price was way too rich for my blood. I was lucky to come across a large batch of tins from 2011 and the bloke was selling them for $11 a tin, so I bought them all up but unfortunately, it will never be enough.

Another fun one to try in Lakeland Dark, it’s 1792 without the added flavoring. I haven’t seen it on the US market in a long time though.

Anyway, I enjoy your threads on tobacco, keep them coming please!

Last edited:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
About $45 for eight ounce box, if you can find it not backordered.

Highly Recommended- Worth Backordering
I don’t share your fondness for the “crowd-pleasing” blends, and I don’t always agree with your assessments, but I am continually impressed by the inclusive and esoteric approach you take to tobacco. You seemingly have no prejudices about what you’re willing to try, and that is inspiring…and humbling. (I certainly can’t say that.)

So even though I don’t anticipate trying this one—me and nicotine, not so much—I very much appreciate reading your appraisal.

. You seemingly have no prejudices about what you’re willing to try,
I simply do not understand why someone is unwilling to try something new unless of course it contains something they have previously found repulsive. For me that's brussel sprouts. They smell like garbage and taste exactly like they smell to me. A good friend recently told me I was ignorant and never had them properly harvested and prepared. She made some and I was like, "OK I will try it." - I almost puked. Sometimes tastes change. Sometimes not. Of course I am a super taster/smeller so for me a lot of what others can tolerate, I cannot. It's funny, she asked me if I like cabbage and I said sure. I do. it also smells like rot, but does not taste that way to me.

While in Japan and China I tried everything - duck tongue, tendons, pickled squid... The squid was the only thing I gagged on. All else was funky but edible. OH and I love calimari.

And why not revisit something you hated years ago? I used to hate broccoli and spinach as a kid, now I love them.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
It’s really a remarkable and strong tobacco. Because of the tonkin aroma i like it fresh from the tin. It vanishes when the tobacco is drying out. I couldn’t get it for some time in Germany, because of Brexit.
Yip I do agree, I had the same experience too much drying will turn this one into a standard Lakeland Dark by S&G ,even if it's strong,its pleasantly smooth and full, (yet sneaky by nicotine) and probably will ghost one's pipe in the long run, and same observation here , S&G tobaccies almost extinct in the continental EU market. although S&G and G&H blends can still be found in the Eastern European market including Ukraine, and perhaps Russia too.

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
1792 Flake, and it’s plugged version brother “Cob Plug”, is an excellent option for me as an outdoors smoker on a cold winter night.

I agree with the other comments about it losing it’s topping quickly if it’s dried out before smoking.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
S&G tobaccies almost extinct in the continental EU market. although S&G and G&H blends can still be found in the Eastern European market including Ukraine, and perhaps Russia too.
Brexit and Covid meant supply to Europe was disrupted for a while but we have been supplying Europe again for a fair bit. We have distributors in several countries including Spain, Germany, Czech, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Romania off the top of my head. We do NOT supply Russia and we do not have a distributor in Ukraine.

Jun 23, 2019
I don’t share your fondness for the “crowd-pleasing” blends, and I don’t always agree with your assessments, but I am continually impressed by the inclusive and esoteric approach you take to tobacco. You seemingly have no prejudices about what you’re willing to try, and that is inspiring…and humbling. (I certainly can’t say that.)

So even though I don’t anticipate trying this one—me and nicotine, not so much—I very much appreciate reading your appraisal.

Yeah 1792 is definitely on the stronger side with the nic hit, but I love Lakelands and this is a delicious example of them.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ve just ordered another tin of 1792. I think it’s the bees knees and the dog’s danglies.

If both are available in your neck of the woods, then I think it goes worryingly well with Spitfire Ale.
4A1ED87F-9308-4023-B524-6C81C1CDF89D.jpeg
Maybe it would go even better with Squadron Leader?

What’s that, you think I should try them together?

Oh, go on then; just in the interests of scientific endeavour you understand?

🤔😆😆😆😆

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
anyone have feedback on this blend aged with different cellar times? I have some '22 and some 19ish tinned.
I plan on popping the 19, as I have found one year to three to be positive changes for FVF and Navy. Curious how the 1792 does.

Reactions: Briar Lee