PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
This might be of interest here. While scanning eBay for listings, I stumbled onto one for a 1912, 2-page ad that was published in Australia in S Hoffnungs & Co Diary and Almanac.
My scanner wasn't large enough to capture the entire length of the pages. A photo from the eBay listing is included below the scans.
Barling-1912-ad-p1_zps0fbd79ea.jpg

Barling-1912-ad-p2_zpsb17980e9.jpg

BarlingadeBaylisting_zpsa4a31df6.jpg

May 31, 2012
Wow, that's a great advert, many thanks for sharing.
btw

if you haven't seen it, you may be interested in sablebrush's lovingly reproduced facsimile of a very early Barling catalog:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/early-pre-transition-barling-catalog-facsimile-limited-edition
...and Jon Guss's How Many Angels? is top shelf:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/vintage-project-publications/
You're probably aware of both of these, but I'm throwing 'em out there anyways...
cheers!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Chief,
Thanks for posting this. It's very interesting because I'm pretty sure that these engravings are the same as those in the catalog that I restored. I'll need to do a bit of A B comparison viewing to determine if the source image is the same.
Terrific find!

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I do have sablebrush's facsimile Barling catalog (what a great thing to have done!) and also John Guss's How Many Angels?, as well as the Spring 2000 edition of Pipes and Tobacco magazine with Tad Gage's article on Barlings.
I'm a very late-comer to an interest in pipes generally and Barlings in particular, but I've been trying to make up for lost time. I'm only an occasional smoker and don't intend to get too carried away with collecting/hoarding. I have a lot to learn, not least of all about simply using pipes for their intended purpose. I'm fascinated by pipe lore and was lucky enough to pick up both cloth-bound volumes of Tom Dunn's The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris for a very reasonable price. Reading from TPSE is highly seductive.
The two pages of the 1812 ad posted above are 12.5" x 8" each. I intend to have them matted and framed. If anyone thinks it would be worthwhile to obtain high resolution scans or digital photos to archive and/or possibly make available for publication, I'd be willing to do that. I didn't buy the ad to turn a profit, but I'd be pleased to make copies available pro bono for a worthy cause.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Chief, I like your style! You have been finding some great pipes lately, and this ad is very cool!
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.