Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since something Ryan said might be confusing to people unfamiliar with Bakelite.

The red arrow is what freshly-exposed-to-air-and-light Bakelite looks like, and the black arrow is what it looks like after a while. The exposed outer surface gets deeper in color similar to the way ebonite turns green over time.

Meaning the piss yellow ring just beyond the shank cap will eventually (mostly) disappear.

Something to keep in mind (if the color disserence bugs you) is that the "catch up" will happen faster if the pipe is not stored in its case.

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 1.43.13 AM.png

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Something to keep in mind (if the color disserence bugs you) is that the "catch up" will happen faster if the pipe is not stored in its case.

Yikes

Normally typos just have to be let go, but "disserence"???

I wasn't drunk. I promise. (I don't even drink)

It looks like "dissonance" and "difference" got conflated in my brainial spellerizer unit. Or Hoover walked across my keyboard. Or something.

Anyway, either word will work.

Sorry about that.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yikes

Normally typos just have to be let go, but "disserence"???

I wasn't drunk. I promise. (I don't even drink)

It looks like "dissonance" and "difference" got conflated in my brainial spellerizer unit. Or Hoover walked across my keyboard. Or something.

Anyway, either word will work.

Sorry about that.
You're doing yourself a disserence! :)

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
To me that is amazing - I wouldn't even know where to start and always admire a great craftsperson when I see great work.

This inspires me to have some stems I know I can't "restore" done properly!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Since something Ryan said might be confusing to people unfamiliar with Bakelite.

The red arrow is what freshly-exposed-to-air-and-light Bakelite looks like, and the black arrow is what it looks like after a while. The exposed outer surface gets deeper in color similar to the way ebonite turns green over time.

Meaning the piss yellow ring just beyond the shank cap will eventually (mostly) disappear.

View attachment 173890
Excellent tip. Thanks.

He had texted me it would darken, but not putting back in the case is definitely how it will be stored.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus