PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I don't know if anything like this has ever been mentioned but I could not find anything like this in couple of different key word searches.
Here is my idea... let me know what you guys think.
We have a lot of different members on this forum with a heck of a lot of experience and a heck of a lot of an opinion on the best tobaccos out there. And in this comes my idea, different members have different incomes and different members have different knowledge of all things tobacco, members that have 60 years smoking and members who have 0 years smoking.
These less experienced members are in the dark when it comes to tobacco selection. Some members live in huge metropolises and other members that live in the country. Some members have great access to great tobaccos and other members have only access to whatever the local store sells over the counter.
Now here is where it gets a little crazy and I am completely open to negative and positive comments. I am suggesting that members with a lot of knowledge and or an opinion on a certain tobacco send tobaccos to rookie, or other members in very remote areas some tobacco to try. Nothing huge maybe a bowl or two simply a sample.
I know some of you are thinking just buy some from an online B&M but not all of us live in the states and not all of us have large amounts of money to try something new. With Shipping costs as high as they are it isn't always the best option to taste a blend that you may or may not like.
What I am proposing is that new member and members who are open to trying any kind of tobacco have more experienced members send tobaccos to other members who identify themselves via this thread.
This is not an I want to try thread its an I don't know what I like and would like to try what you like thread. The members can speak via PM and work out how much it would cost or send money back and fourth via email money transfers or members can do random acts of kindness and just gift a small sample of their favorite blend to another member.
I personally think this would be a great idea to get new pipe smokers and new members a wealth of knowledge into the wonderful world of tobacco.
Let me know what you guys think. If this is something you would like to try please feel free to PM me as I am very interested in trying everything the world has in tobaccos but with a military income I cant afford to be spending too much money online buying new tobaccos.
Cheers

CBG

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Canadianbiggame.

There are such things already in the Forums.

Owing to the inherent difficulties of shipping tobacco to Canada from the States, there are two different "Box Passes". One in Canada and one in the States.

Pipesmagazine.com has no affiliation with either, and each has their own requirements and methodology.

You might try searching again. :wink:
Remember that Trading isn't permitted in the Forums.

:puffy:

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Welcome aboard Canadianbiggame.

There are such things already in the Forums.

Owing to the inherent difficulties of shipping tobacco to Canada from the States, there are two different "Box Passes". One in Canada and one in the States.

Pipesmagazine.com has no affiliation with either, and each has their own requirements and methodology.

You might try searching again. :wink:
Remember that Trading isn't permitted in the Forums.

:puffy:
Thanks Lawrence, I did see the box pass thread but it has its own problems in that you need to be a member of the forum for 6 months and have a certain number of posts. Also its does not cross borders.
What I am suggesting is not a trade, merely a means for other members to share there knowledge with other members discreetly via PM's.
If this contradicts the forums rules we can pretend I never brought it up. Just a thought.

Cheers

CGB

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What I am proposing is that new member and members who are open to trying any kind of tobacco have more experienced members send tobaccos to other members who identify themselves via this thread.

How about: new members buy a tin, take a bowl or two, and give the rest to more experienced members who know they like it.

This way there's no waste, and you don't have to finish off the whole tin before dabbling in something different!
I'll give you this, you have an apparent knack for thread titles. :rofl:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Not to be a downer on this thread, but the whole point of the forum is to help inexperienced pipe smokers learn something from their betters. The tobacco thing sounds like you are asking for a hand out or promoting the asking of a hand out and that just isn't cool. It has been done on here plenty and puts a sour taste in my mouth. Generosity abounds on here, let's just let it take its natural course.
Also there are rules for the box pass because guys that have less than 50 posts or less than 10 for that matter and who haven't contributed to the community at all again come asking for a handout, which is bad form. Cortezattic's idea was actually pretty good. I myself have actually gifted out pounds of tobacco in my time here, but if you start something like this we might as well just set up a free sample category and give our cellars away because that is where it will go.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I got a better idea, smoke what you can afford to or don"t smoke at all, I know in this society it probably is a revolutionary idea , but give , give, give, is getting old, in my day I would soon as pull a fingernail as ask for charity , times are a changeing and it ain"t for the good.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I got a better idea, smoke what you can afford to or don"t smoke at all, I know in this society it probably is a revolutionary idea , but give , give, give, is getting old, in my day I would soon as pull a fingernail as ask for charity , times are a changeing and it ain"t for the good.
My sentiments exactly mate!!

Aug 1, 2012
Generosity abounds on here, let's just let it take its natural course.
The vast majority of people here are amazingly generous. We work hard for what we have, ask for nothing and share freely. We tend to see a need and try to help but many are turned off at the whiff of a request for a handout.

Status
Not open for further replies.