PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Greetings all,
Having finally tried Capstan Blue (and Gold) and becoming highly enamored of it, I wonder if there is another blend that is a good, close match of it.

I have been going through the forum looking for a prior thread on the subject but have been unsuccessful.
I appreciate any suggestions.

Reactions: Medy

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
I did a search for Navy and most of the ones I have found have a rum flavor to them. Does the Capstan have that? I haven’t tried Capstan yet?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Greetings all,
Having finally tried Capstan Blue (and Gold) and becoming highly enamored of it, I wonder if there is another blend that is a good, close match of it.

I have been going through the forum looking for a prior thread on the subject but have been unsuccessful.
I appreciate any suggestions.
The short answer is, no. Capstan's topping is what makes it distinctive, not the tobaccos. Find someone who has cracked Capstan's century + old topping and you'll find a match. It's available in 450G bulk packages at Esterval's, though currently sold out, however, the 50G tins are available for a LOT less than $20. The only risk is the occasional misfire with their shipping companies, DHL, or UPS. If that happens, you're going to get cornholed. Otherwise everything will be smooth sailing

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I mean, it’s not a match. But if I’m looking for something in the same ballpark from the same tobacco house for a much cheaper price, that’s what I’d point out to try as an alternative.
Agreed, just figured since i had the Blue going for a few days t was a good time to try the HH as it would easier to compare. I have a feeling in a few years the HH will be a lot closer to the Blue but there is a def difference. Now i have to start stalking Esterval's for the 450 boxes. I wish more people sold those.

Reactions: Medy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I suggest Ken Byron Ventures Brown Flek. It won't remind you of Capstan Blue, but it may be the closest thing to it strength wise. It's not quite as sweet and has a little more dark Va. depth, and is a touch more floral.