PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The short answer is, no. Capstan's topping is what makes it distinctive, not the tobaccos. Find someone who has cracked Capstan's century + old topping and you'll find a match. It's available in 450G bulk packages at Esterval's, though currently sold out, however, the 50G tins are available for a LOT less than $20. The only risk is the occasional misfire with their shipping companies, DHL, or UPS. If that happens, you're going to get cornholed. Otherwise everything will be smooth sailing
You referring to 'Kriswill Blue?'
That contains a small percentage of perique & is nothing like the original Wills's Capstan. (imo).
I saw that macbarens make a bespoke blend for a German tobacconist, they were given an old cutter top tin and asked to match it, that one's called' Bloemfontein'. How close they came, I'd love to know. I asked a forum member here who had a tin but didn't get a reply. Probably too busy taking selfies of himself on the golf course. Yes, @hoosierpipeguy I'm calling you out! Lol
As far as 'clones' to the original capstan go, there aren't any. That ship sailed many years ago. There are plenty of excellent modern day Virginia's though. Gawith's FVP & Mac Baren's HH Pure Virginia are up there with the best of them, only my opinion of course.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
The original Capstan used an ingredient called coumarin. It imparts a particular flavor that is hard to describe and the chemical has been banned in certain countries for use in food. Imperial Tobacco used a code word for coumarin many years ago but it was discovered in litigation documents.

More recent versions of Capstan, first from STG and now from Mac Baren do not use coumarin. To my taste the current version has what I believe is a tiny bit of cinnamon. I detect it in the background flavor. I could be wrong but they are definitely using something.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You referring to 'Kriswill Blue?'
That contains a small percentage of perique & is nothing like the original Wills's Capstan. (imo).
I saw that macbarens make a bespoke blend for a German tobacconist, they were given an old cutter top tin and asked to match it, that one's called' Bloemfontein'. How close they came, I'd love to know. I asked a forum member here who had a tin but didn't get a reply. Probably too busy taking selfies of himself on the golf course. Yes, @hoosierpipeguy I'm calling you out! Lol
As far as 'clones' to the original capstan go, there aren't any. That ship sailed many years ago. There are plenty of excellent modern day Virginia's though. Gawith's FVP & Mac Baren's HH Pure Virginia are up there with the best of them, only my opinion of course.
Simon,
My stance on these matters is well known, "Scandinavia is the place where British blends go to die."

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
About 507C. Long ago, I bought it in quantity, jarred it in smaller increments, went through it slowly. I think when I finished it, it was 10 years old, and I was stunned at how well it had aged. personally I think it’s the best Virginia flake out there for the dollar. Really inexpensive.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I feel I should also add in case it answers the potential money question that, as a Capstan fan, if I woke up broke tomorrow, my stash of VA tins having mysteriously vanished, then supposing I had a craving for VA tobaccos which put the smallest strain on the budget... an 8oz tin of C&D Opening Night would do in a pinch. And were C&D to acquire the ability to hot press tobaccos, I'd wager that this would be a damn fine smoke. But until that glorious moment occurs, it's designated in my mind as Dollar Tree Capstan.