PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I noticed the ads. I don't mind them. I look right past them to the next reply. They're what pay for this place to exist. And the forum section no longer is stuffed to the side, where it felt like an unwelcome interloper. I don't buy because of ads. I buy when I need to replace something, like pipecleaners.

Another option would be to offer an ad free paid subscription. I have that with HULU, and with other online services.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Hope this clears it up for everybody. Thanks Kevin!

Remember everyone, that PipesMagazine is the longest running FREE resource for all things pipe and pipe tobacco. It costs a lot of time, money, and resources to keep the site up and running. Staying current, tobacco reviews, articles, the radio show, etc. all cost money and people need to be paid for their work.

Just remember that the only revenue to the site comes from site sponsors. When we visit their site to buy, or even just to browse, (but especially to buy :)) be sure to come here first and click on their respective links through PipesMagazine.

PipesMagazine has been going for 10+ years and to make it for at least another 10+, it needs to be supported by our members supporting the site sponsors. And Kevin sure isn't just sitting on the revenue, he actually re-invests it back into the site.

Don't forget that we are probably THE LAST resource for pipes and tobacco. Let's all keep it going for as long as possible!

Thanks,
Bob

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And Kevin sure isn't just sitting on the revenue

Then explain this super-legit and authenticated picture of Kevin! ;)

3ngh8a.jpg

Just kidding Kevin, we all know the work you put into this sandbox! please don't ban me

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Doing away with signatures on posts, and shrinking the dimensions of the profile pics on our posts would go a long way in helping the flow while scrolling.
Again, you're going the way of annoying the user base: doing away with the small things that make people 'feel at home' in order to pepper them with ads. I see your point with signatures that sport images the size of Nebraska—some of them are almost ads in themselves—, but to deny people even a couple of lines for a quotable quote alienates them.

Make sure that it actually works. You are trading off annoying your forum users for extra ad clicks. There is a point at which it is actually counterproductive, and you lose traffic and clicks.
Indeed. The real question, and one that at not time do I demand the Admin to answer for he owes me nothing, is whether mere clicks and traffic are beneficial for the sponsors. I expound below...

Agreed. The internet advertising business model is cancer. The measurements don’t capture ad effectiveness, the fact of infinite inventory makes for a race to the bottom, as we are seeing here, and it necessarily makes website features that are hostile to the user base in order to be better for advertisers.
Dead on. I once attended a business informal meeting and heard one business owner boast of how many Likes his venture was getting on Facebook. I said nothing but thought: "and how much MONEY are you actually making from those Likes?" The answer: from peanuts to nothing. Likes are NOT sales. And it's well known that Fakebook has Like-clicking farms.

I hope that technologists help enable different business models that allow these things to happen without relying on fickle advertisers or pushing unwanted ads in front of forum users. Unfortunately the big guys in tech are just working on more intrusive surveillance for ads instead.
This reminds me of a game I used to love playing on my iPhone: Bejewelled Blitz. Great fun, till the ads started creeping in and appearing after every single game, before the match, or when you least expected it. Sometimes they had an X to close them, sometimes they didn't. Most annoying were video ads, which also eat up bandwith, which is precious on a mobile device. I never clicked on the ads, not even on the big X (if you click on the X you're basically clicking on the ad, effectively acknoledging it): upon seeing the beginnings of an ad display I killed the app: I became quite swift at it. Still, some ads sometimes caught me unaware and one of them, which makes my point here, was a geographically targetted ad (all of them were actually—the surveillance mentioned by Casual) about a local company I had never heard about: I immediately hated that company. Had I seen their ad in a less intrusive way, I might had been interested; but having it interrupt my playing made me hate it. My point? The ad was financially profitable for PopCap, and a financial failure for the company due to the negative impression its ad caused. It was also a loss for PopCap, as I have discontinued my playing of that game: not just because of the ads-evasion calisthenics, but because of the continued updates and crApple's own annoying 'update your iOS' ads which made me pull the plug on the wi-fi permanently on that phone.

My point at large: sure, we can click on the ads and links to sponsors: that helps the site, but does it really help the sponsors? It is my understanding that sponsors only make money when the person clicking on their ad actually BUYS something. Sure, I click regularly on SPC's ads because some of the pipes catch my eye, but I never buy anything, really. How then did my ad-clicking help SPC?

Now, I'm not trying to stir up trouble or be a revolutionary here, I really am not. I have been interested in becoming a sponsor myself, but these ad mechanics (acrobatics in some cases) give me pause: I won't earn money from mere perusers, and if even businesses like SPC, P&C or Tobaccopipes.com (the last two named aren't sponsors anymore), which carry tons of stuff have trouble getting sales from ads, what chances do I have as a startup that carries only a small volume of niche items? Again and again: likes and traffic are not revenue, only the vague promise (or illusion) of potential revenue, and thus, I too conclude that the current ad models are flawed and not really helpful to the advertisers.

When I was doing photography I spent thousands of dollars on advertising and never got a single sale from it. Only the places where I advertised did.

Again and for the last time: I'm not throwing low punches at Kevin or childishly threatening him with leaving immediately if he doesn't do what I like. I like Kevin well enough and I understand and feel for his current quandary with helping his sponsors make money. I'm simply saying that the current model is not optimal, and that a better solution needs to be found for everyone: businesses and the user base that keeps them running.

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just remember that the only revenue to the site comes from site sponsors. When we visit their site to buy, or even just to browse, (but especially to buy :)) be sure to come here first and click on their respective links through PipesMagazine.

This is an EXCELLENT point that I often admittedly forget to do. The sponsors have no idea how much revenue their ads are generating on this site unless we get there through PM.com. IMO this might even be validated as a sticky or just a general thread reminding users to do this when they intend to make a purchase. I can't imagine if we were all diligent about this that it wouldn't make a noticeable impact.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is an EXCELLENT point that I often admittedly forget to do. The sponsors have no idea how much revenue their ads are generating on this site unless we get there through PM.com. IMO this might even be validated as a sticky or just a general thread reminding users to do this when they intend to make a purchase. I can't imagine if we were all diligent about this that it wouldn't make a noticeable impact.
absolutely.
or click on the "retailer directory" and see if the place you want to buy from is listed... then click through there.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie
IMO this might even be validated as a sticky or just a general thread reminding users to do this when they intend to make a purchase.
Imbedded advertising....

What Are You Smoking (January)
Cosmic: I am smoking some Cask #12 (that can be bought at smokingpipes.com <follow link here) in a large hot churchwarden

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Compared to the typical random advertising on the web, a forum like this is an ideal situation for pipe & tobacco retailers. We're like shooting fish in a barrel. All of us self-diagnosed with PAD & TAD.

It seems to me that sponsors here could benefit greatly by more direct interaction with us...which doesn't seem to occur very often.

It seems to me that sponsors here could benefit greatly by more direct interaction with us...which doesn't seem to occur very often.
This +100, they used to... but then we had Mr. Noggins, who lost his mind on here. Greg Pease seemed to attract a weird sort of asshole. And, poor old Russ, having to apologize for his employer over and over and over...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Searing my tongue on some Borkum Riff out of my
This +100, they used to... but then we had Mr. Noggins, who lost his mind on here. Greg Pease seemed to attract a weird sort of asshole. And, poor old Russ, having to apologize for his employer over and over and over...
lol I wish I could see threads pertaining to what you are talking about.
I saw that with Russ.. and felt bad for him actually. none of the problems were his fault at all.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Hope this clears it up for everybody. Thanks Kevin!

Remember everyone, that PipesMagazine is the longest running FREE resource for all things pipe and pipe tobacco. It costs a lot of time, money, and resources to keep the site up and running. Staying current, tobacco reviews, articles, the radio show, etc. all cost money and people need to be paid for their work.

PipesMagazine has been going for 10+ years and to make it for at least another 10+, it needs to be supported by our members supporting the site sponsors. And Kevin sure isn't just sitting on the revenue, he actually re-invests it back into the site.

Don't forget that we are probably THE LAST resource for pipes and tobacco. Let's all keep it going for as long as possible!

Thanks,
Bob
Thanks Bob!

Here's a little something I just ran into inadvertently in the site admin.

Reactions: python and BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Dunno what happened to/with Mr Noggins, or if you're referring to Mr Noggins I or Mr Noggins II, but from a vendor perspective, and speaking in general, I'd withdraw from interaction if members started pilloring me on an open forum: I'd rather use my time doing productive things than defending myself from people with a sense of entitlement lambasting me because I won't knock down the price of a pipe they bought last week which then went on sale this week.

Not pointing any fingers here, but I've seen this behaviour in general in this and other forums, and it would certainly dampen my enthusiasm for partaking with remote customers.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I believe what Cosmic was referring to in regard to Mr. Noggins was something entirely different...and something entirely political in nature.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The real problem is that the primary influx of traffic since the upgrade has apparently been mostly Millennials...and they don't have any money. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Heh, I'm no millennial and I don't have any money either! Why do you think I just click and browse and don't buy? :oops:

You do have a point, though. I once read a book about marketing to millennials written by a millennial, and he boasted of millennials "being very price-conscious, with an expertise in tech that allows them to scan powerfully the Internet in order to find the best deals". Yeah, you see them driving from one end of town to the other trying to save ten cents on an item.

Reactions: BROBS and brian64
Status
Not open for further replies.