Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I'm entering my fifth year of pipe smoking. I don't smoke nearly as much as I'd like to, but I'm getting there. I've kinda landed on being an Burley dude, and I'm happy about it. One thing I've noticed in the last couple months is that the pipes I smoke regularly, which is about half a dozen, are turning into straight up smoking machines. I think I've finally broken in most of my pipes to where I pack them, light them, and that's all my maintenance, minus a tamp here or there. I remember reading reviews of tobaccos and seeing the words "burned to a fine white ash" and thinking "that's not real." And while it doesn't happen all the time, it's happening more often than not. It's kinda fun. I've found that I don't need to put nearly as much tobacco in my pipes as I used to, which is better for my wallet and better for my enjoyment.

Smoking a pipe has been a fulfilling journey for me and I look forward to doing much more of it in the future. I haven't bought a new pipe in a couple years because money's been tight for me, but I've got a new job and hopefully a little walking around money in my future. Might be time for something nice.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I'm entering my fifth year of pipe smoking. I don't smoke nearly as much as I'd like to, but I'm getting there. I've kinda landed on being an Burley dude, and I'm happy about it. One thing I've noticed in the last couple months is that the pipes I smoke regularly, which is about half a dozen, are turning into straight up smoking machines. I think I've finally broken in most of my pipes to where I pack them, light them, and that's all my maintenance, minus a tamp here or there. I remember reading reviews of tobaccos and seeing the words "burned to a fine white ash" and thinking "that's not real." And while it doesn't happen all the time, it's happening more often than not. It's kinda fun. I've found that I don't need to put nearly as much tobacco in my pipes as I used to, which is better for my wallet and better for my enjoyment.

Smoking a pipe has been a fulfilling journey for me and I look forward to doing much more of it in the future. I haven't bought a new pipe in a couple years because money's been tight for me, but I've got a new job and hopefully a little walking around money in my future. Might be time for something nice.
Smoking a pipe well does take a bit of time. I remember it took me a couple years before it became kinda effortless. White ash is a thing & being a burley guy is a comfortable way to be. Love the stuff! I mainly smoke one cob and I love it. My MM Emerald is my go to smoker. As long as you keep it clean, you can smoke it all day everyday… I’m more of a tobacco 🍂 guy versus a pipe collector. So I’ve found Cobs to be perfectly good smokers, particularly with Burley & Virginias. Glad you’re enjoying yourself and Happy New Year.🎆 ☕

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Ditto. Me too, for half a century. A minor observation of your observation: you only need half a dozen pipes, carefully selected. Watch out for Pipe Acquisition Disorder--it's real, it's dangerous, and has taken better men than I.
What is this PAD you speak of?
I swore to stop at 100 pipes. I'm at 116 and I swear 200 is my absolute limit. I've got this under control. Pinky swear.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Ditto. Me too, for half a century. A minor observation of your observation: you only need half a dozen pipes, carefully selected. Watch out for Pipe Acquisition Disorder--it's real, it's dangerous, and has taken better men than I.
Half a dozen Peterson Systems, half a dozen slightly bent Italian, half a dozen straight Danish sandblasted, half a dozen smooth straight, half a dozen nose warmers.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I've got slightly more than half a dozen pipes, but most of them are really beat up old Estates that I tried my hand at restoring that are in varying states of being useful. I'm not a "collector" of anything, really. I play bass in bands, and don't see the appeal of having more guitars than I could reasonably use. I see pipes becoming like my guitars, tools that I use for specific things. That and I can't justify spending a ton of money on a piece of wood that I'm essentially setting on fire.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
All tobacco "burns to a fine white ash" if you have good smoking technique, at least in my experience. Never understood that in reviews of tobaccos. Is there one that doesn't "burn to fine white ash"?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A pipe is not broken in until it has built a cake enough and then reamed. Then it’ll start showing you what it’s all about.
I cannot agree enough with the above.

If you smoke outside in the wind cake is your friend, to try and help protect from burn out.

For most of us armchair puffers the ideal is to begin smoking all the way down and when a pipe forms enough cake to ream take it all out.

The heat of the ember does something good to the briar. It’s that heat that eventually puts a cure to the briar.

All cake does is protect against burn out. Cake traps nasty stuff you don’t want in your pipe.

You want a thin black, oily resin in there, completely down to the draft hole.

You don’t need to smoke it down to the draft hole and likely won’t, but it lets the briar fully cure.

Reactions: Scottmi and tmcg81
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It took me a couple of years as well to really get the hang of pipe smoking. Being a cigar smoker, I put the cigars on the back burner, and really focused on pipes for a while and it helped me a lot. Lots of trial and error, and just practice. Once it clicked it became an effortless routine. Which is a nice feeling, because no one likes the frustration that comes with learning how to smoke a pipe properly.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
All tobacco "burns to a fine white ash" if you have good smoking technique, at least in my experience. Never understood that in reviews of tobaccos. Is there one that doesn't "burn to fine white ash"?
for me, some do, some don't. does not seem to be pipe-specific. mostly i suspect is my packing that time. still some misses on that!

Reactions: seanv and kcghost

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I rotate 4 pipes. They are larger bowls than most. Peterson X220, 408, XL02 and a Winslow. Each one smokes just wonderful. Each one has its own personality. Learning how to smoke each one is part of the fun for me. I rarely light each one more than twice. Once learned, the smoking is enjoyable.