PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I just got my CCW license here in Central America, due to rising crime and some long time philosophical wandering...

Im still waiting on it to be registered to be able to pick it up, as gun control laws are very strict here, but I should have my new Glock 19 gen 5 MOS in a few wks hopefully.

I've never owned a gun and have only shot maybe 50 rounds of .22, 9mm, and .38 before in my life. I've read probably 8 books in the last 6mo on firearm safety, defense tactics, legal defense, and situational awareness. Its pretty exciting. Honestly, ive got 4 small kids and am very cautious (almost scared) about the whole thing. It will probably be a while till i work up to a point of skill where i can consider carrying chambered, appendix, etc... but I cant wait to practice!

Anyone here care to relate any advice or regale some tales?

And yes, i already have a good biometric/keycode safe and a quality kydex holster.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have had my licence for 10 or 11 years now. I don't carry all that often anymore.

I used to work for a realty company, taking pictures of foreclosed homes. I also met with the sherrifs for evictions. They were usually in rough parts of the cities, so I always carried my gun. My only pistol is a Highpoint, so I never concealed it. Too large.

But the sherrifs loved asking me about it when they would see it. They were all for me carrying.

I need something smaller to conceal these days.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have had my licence for 10 or 11 years now. I don't carry all that often anymore.

I used to work for a realty company, taking pictures of foreclosed homes. I also met with the sherrifs for evictions. They were usually in rough parts of the cities, so I always carried my gun. My only pistol is a Highpoint, so I never concealed it. Too large.

But the sherrifs loved asking me about it when they would see it. They were all for me carrying.

I need something smaller to conceal these days.
I carry a full size Ruger Security 9 when I do carry. I'm a small guy (5'8" and 125-128 lbs), and I am able to conceal it just fine—I carry it IWB at 4:00/kidney. I like it, and it's relatively inexpensive and pretty accurate for a $300 pistol, and more than accurate enough for personal defense. I'd actually argue it's easily in the top 5 for budget pistols.

I generally don't go anywhere that I would be at risk, so I normally don't carry. But if I am on a trip through states with reciprocity for my permit, I do because I never know where I might have to go to stop for gas.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I was qualified, you'd be one of the last people to know. I've never understood the need some people have to broadcast they are carrying a weapon. Kinda defeats the purpose. It's a piece of information which is best kept to yourself and agency issuing the license/certificate which, unfortunately includes the entire government.

Further, I don't understand locking one's weapon away so that it isn't readily accessible. The only people who need to know you are licensed are those persons investigating the shooting you were just involved in.

I'll grant the chances of one of us assaulting you are slim.. But, I also bet your friends, some of your co-workers, and a few select neighbors are in the know.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Only time I’m not is on the clock.
Always be training, always be aware. Practice what you suck at, not what you’re good at. Be a student of firearms, learn how to operate or at least understand the operation of all major types. Don’t think you won’t have to use your non-dominant hand, so learn to shoot both sides. Never use lethal force to intimidate, the escalation may surprise you.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One thing you'll never be sure of, no matter how convinced you are now, is whether you can indeed take a life if the time comes. It's one of the reasons cops die as they assess a situation. The shooter made his decision to kill long before the confrontation. If you already made that decision before it was required you probably shouldn't be carrying a weapon. The situation has to be assessed. Correctly, hopefully.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
And yes, i already have a good biometric/keycode safe
Has the LockPickingLawyer shown everyone how to circumvent this biometric/keycode safe in less time than it takes you to open it properly, or is it one of the more secure models that actually takes three (3) seconds?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpIvUbO_777w09aqKK-L-3eINJtxfKhKc

This is the best advice that I can give you:
Know that firearms are never to be treated in a flippant manner and immediately teach your children the same.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
As a 30 year Law Enforcement Instructor I’ll get to the basics real quick.
Trigger reset, decent ammo, Trigger reset, practice, Trigger reset.
Decent holsters are a must (galco, desantis) and practice with that holster is paramount. Trigger reset!
Incase I forgot to mention it work and concentrate on Trigger Reset!
As said above Keep things quiet and to yourself. Learn to shoot fast while taking your time and most things worth shooting once are worth shooting twice !
Oh, I spent a lot of time in Central America, you need it and better yet get 2 !
Based on your comment also practice Israeli Carry.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Always train and practice, especially practicing drawing from your holster...and wear the clothes you would normally wear when carrying...this is a must if you are going to carry. Train for real life possible scenarios. Don't train with a slim t-shirt, then go out in public with a baggy coat or sweatshirt. The mechanics of clearing your weapon will change and you won't be used to them. Also, tons of dry-firing. Get used to the gun. I carry a G19 as well, solid gun. And everyone is different, but I always carry 1 in the chamber.

Obviously ymmv when it comes to kids, but for me, I have 5 and I have taken them all to the range with me countless times. They all started going around 8 yrs old (I have a small .22 rifle I started them on). I hammered the seriousness of following the rules and have told them over and over...You are allowed to see, handle, touch the guns anytime you want. JUST ask. I've made it a point to get them so used to them that they've lost the intrigue and wonder that other kids have when they finally see a real gun. To them, guns are now what a toaster is to someone else's kid...and they all know how to shoot.

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Here in Nevada, it is legal to open carry without a license as long as you are of legal age and not a felon. They also allow for CCW licenses with the proper training and testing. I have a CCW license and carry virtually every day, all day. Almost anywhere I go my carry gun goes with me. Why have a license if you don't use it. On rare occasions I will open carry, usually only when I am in the field metal detecting or hiking, etc. Over the years I have had 3 different carry guns, the one I have been using for the last 4 or 5 years is a SIG 365 9mm. I, like many of my friends are pocket carriers. I have been to several private training classes over the years and learning from them, I always carry cocked and locked with one in the chamber. Take a private class with a reputable instructor and you will understand why.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Why the beat down? With four little kids it better be in a safe. Better yet they don't need to know you have it.
I’ll disagree.
Children need to taught about firearms. The dangers, the benefits the seriousness of the responsibility in possessing one. If there are guns in the house, they need to be demystified for children, their use normalized and respected. My daughter learned the rules of safe handling very early on. She learned to shoot before a lot of kids learn to read. Now, at almost 25, she has no interest in firearms, but she doesn’t have an irrational fear of them, either.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
I’ll disagree.
Children need to taught about firearms. The dangers, the benefits the seriousness of the responsibility in possessing one. If there are guns in the house, they need to be demystified for children, their use normalized and respected. My daughter learned the rules of safe handling very early on. She learned to shoot before a lot of kids learn to read. Now, at almost 25, she has no interest in firearms, but she doesn’t have an irrational fear of them, either.
But you're special..

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
But you're special…
Nope, he’s right. Education and training is the best defense to accidental/negligent firearms injuries and deaths (of all ages).
Having worked in an ER/Level I trauma center, and being an instructor for a good while, every child firearm casualty I’ve seen that wasn’t straight up murder, gang collateral (or intended) violence was straight up ignorance fueled curiosity.
On the other got buddies whose grade school children will chamber check me if I’m in their home.

YMMV, but don’t fk with my rights to provide yourself a false sense of security.

…I knew I shouldn’t have bothered with this thread.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
One thing I forgot to mention is that a J Frame S&W such as a 442 or 642
Is hard to beat as a carry option both in safety and in cost.
You lug that 19 around on a hot day concealed in public all day long
you’ll end up using it for home and vehicle use or only in a probable situation like civil unrest after getting a snub. Round count doesn’t matter if you aren’t hitting vital areas. 5 perfectly executed shots are generally enough to get you home or out of a bad situation.
15 poorly placed shots can end up with yourself being in a pine box.
Totally different platform and learning curve with revolvers but worth every minute of it!
The pros of your 9 are ammo availability, reduction in muzzle flip, round capacity and minimal parts.
I have over 10,000 hours of range time with your pistol both as an Instructor and a Shooter and have never experienced an issue personally with malfunctioning short of the occasional squib round.
That being said consider a J frame and even a Sig P365 as backups or alternatives. Holsters are like clothes and 1 holster may work well in a given environment and not so much in another. Get an IWB of good quality for every weapon you have as well as Strong Side belt models.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
even a Sig P365 as backups or alternatives.
The P365 SAS is a perfect semiauto carry gun. Low snag potential, very compact, exceptionally reliable.
One takes a shotgun to a gun fight.
If I could carry one, I would. Open carry is constitutional in Pennsylvania, but my clients wouldn't appreciate it.

The house gun is a Remington TAC 13 with a Streamlight, red dot and pistol brace. Compact, turns corners easily, flashlight illuminates the whole f'n house. I set this up when a bunch of meth farmers moved in across the lane from us. They're gone now (after a police involved shooting there), but the hand cannon stays. We have almost no crime in my township, until we do.

• Love
Reactions: warren