PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
Hello fellow pipers !

I have a small pipe collection and all of them are lightweight (up to 1.4oz/40g) as I am a clencher. I am looking to add one more pipe to my inventory and was looking at these two:
  • Peterson System Spigot 312, P-Lip, Bent Billiard, Vulcanite stem
  • Peterson Deluxe Classic, P-Lip, Bent Brandy, Vulcanite stem
The main reason I picked these was the P-Lip end, which I hope will give me some relief in times when I recover from tongue bite. They are priced similarly and do not want to go over $200. I realize that they have vulcanite stems - one of my pipes has vulcanite so I know how to take care of it.

The Spigot has the "System" system obviously, while the Deluxe Classic ... I'm not sure (probably not ?).

I don't own any Petersons yet. Both pipes listed above weigh 2oz/57g, quite a bit more than what I usually go for ... Will the more pronounced bent shape still lend them to a somehow comfortable clenching, or are they meant to be supported by the hand all the time ? How difficult are they to clean ?

If anybody owns any of the above and can share his experience with it, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Hello fellow pipers !

I have a small pipe collection and all of them are lightweight (up to 1.4oz/40g) as I am a clencher. I am looking to add one more pipe to my inventory and was looking at these two:
The main reason I picked these was the P-Lip end, which I hope will give me some relief in times when I recover from tongue bite. They are priced similarly and do not want to go over $200. I realize that they have vulcanite stems - one of my pipes has vulcanite so I know how to take care of it.

The Spigot has the "System" system obviously, while the Deluxe Classic ... I'm not sure (probably not ?).

I don't own any Petersons yet. Both pipes listed above weigh 2oz/57g, quite a bit more than what I usually go for ... Will the more pronounced bent shape still lend them to a somehow comfortable clenching, or are they meant to be supported by the hand all the time ? How difficult are they to clean ?

If anybody owns any of the above and can share his experience with it, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
If you want a system spigot billiard that's a little lighter check out the 314.

The Deluxe Classic sounds like a 68 which is also a nice, hefty shape.

If you want to try the p-lip I'd go with the system spigot as it not only has the p-lip but the army mount, well, and graduated draft hole.

A p-lip will redirect the smoke to the top of your mouth but it won't solve the issue of tongue bite, at least not in the way you're likely hoping. If you smoke hot the p-lip will just cause roof bite instead of tongue bite. There's no way around it but to smoke cooler.

The bends definitely help with having them feel lighter.

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
Thank you for your insights AroEnglish.

The Deluxe Classic is indeed a 68.

Just realized that the bowl chamber wall of Spigots 312/314 is only 8mm thick. The Classic is about 10mm, same as my Savinellis 626. I wonder if the Spigot 312/314 won't smoke hot because of that - my Stanwell Estate also has thin walls (~7mm) and it smokes by far the hottest of the bunch.

Still working on improving my technique and getting very little bite with English blends but mistakes still happen from time to time :) Virginias are more challenging for me though (often one bowl is enough to get scorched - I'll try drying that blend more).

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Hello fellow pipers !

You could try the System Standard in any model you choose, and get in at about $100 to learn about Peterson systems.
Very easy on the clenching.
Easy to clean but you just need to train yourself to be aware of the moisture in the well and deal with it FIRST, before turning it over. That means no dumping of ash midway, and cleaning the bowl comes SECOND.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
If you want to save some money and get a quality Peterson's might i suggest smoking pipes website, not only are they are major sponsor here they are a great vendor and have amazing customer service. For 200 bucks you can actually get TWO pipes from them and have some money left over.

As far as getting bite, i got horrible tongue bite when i started smoking a pipe, so bad that drinking cold water burned my tongue, it was the worse oh and that pu ffy tongue feeling, started smoking a filter pipe to cut down on the bite, bite is just from the jet of "steam" from the tobacco hitting your tongue so a couple things i did to correct that were:

Started drying my tobacco more and when i thought it was dry enough i dried it even more, i like almost crispy tobacco.

Loaded the bowl looser, i used to really pack it down and that was a big mistake, so then i just started to gravity fill my pipes and that helped.

I dried my tobacco more, did i mention that, well I'm mentioning it again!

Take it easy, sip the pipe don't smoke it like a cigar or cigarette.

If those don't work dry the tobacco more!

Hopefully some of those tips will help you.

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
Easy to clean but you just need to train yourself to be aware of the moisture in the well and deal with it FIRST, before turning it over. That means no dumping of ash midway, and cleaning the bowl comes SECOND.
Ohhh ... I guess that settles it then. My burn tends to tunnel severely (burns in a conical shape) and the pipe usually goes out by mid-bowl. At which point I turn the pipe to the side and scoop the ash out, collapse the unburned tobacco from the walls into the "hole" and start over.

From reading what you've said, I should improve my technique first before attempting to use the "system".

Reactions: Nevaditude

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
If you want to save some money and get a quality Peterson's might i suggest smoking pipes website, not only are they are major sponsor here they are a great vendor and have amazing customer service. For 200 bucks you can actually get TWO pipes from them and have some money left over.

As far as getting bite, i got horrible tongue bite when i started smoking a pipe, so bad that drinking cold water burned my tongue, it was the worse oh and that pu ffy tongue feeling, started smoking a filter pipe to cut down on the bite, bite is just from the jet of "steam" from the tobacco hitting your tongue so a couple things i did to correct that were:

Started drying my tobacco more and when i thought it was dry enough i dried it even more, i like almost crispy tobacco.

Loaded the bowl looser, i used to really pack it down and that was a big mistake, so then i just started to gravity fill my pipes and that helped.

I dried my tobacco more, did i mention that, well I'm mentioning it again!

If those don't work dry the tobacco more!

Hopefully some of those tips will help you.

Thanks for the tips !

Smoking pipes is the site I was looking at indeed. I bought the Stanwell Estate from there but it is my least preferred pipe. I found its stem end to be too wide and uncomfortable for clenching and it gets very hot very fast (compared to others I own). I think I need to have more experience before I can look at another estate.

I guess for the time being I will stick with Savinelli and their balsa filters till I improve my puffing and packing technique (in addition to drying the tobacco more).

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Ohhh ... I guess that settles it then. My burn tends to tunnel severely (burns in a conical shape) and the pipe usually goes out by mid-bowl. At which point I turn the pipe to the side and scoop the ash out, collapse the unburned tobacco from the walls into the "hole" and start over.

From reading what you've said, I should improve my technique first before attempting to use the "system".
Perhaps, perhaps not.
I'm just pointing out that some have the habit of turning over their pipe to dump ash, and that will cause problems in a system with a well.
It's just a matter of learning to manage your ash in a different manner...

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

Not only drying more, sip the pipe at least till you get used to it and be sure to tamp, just pushing the ember down a bit, use the weight of the tamper you aren't really pressing it down just "tamping" lightly, that should help with the burning in a cone, When you get the hand of it all a lot of guys just use their finger to tamp a tiny bit, you get a nice blanket of ass then the ember and tobacco so you are just lightly tapping on the velvety blanket of ass to tamp. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
Not only drying more, sip the pipe at least till you get used to it and be sure to tamp, just pushing the ember down a bit, use the weight of the tamper you aren't really pressing it down just "tamping" lightly, that should help with the burning in a cone, When you get the hand of it all a lot of guys just use their finger to tamp a tiny bit, you get a nice blanket of ass then the ember and tobacco so you are just lightly tapping on the velvety blanket of ass to tamp. You'll get the hang of it eventually.
Noted ! Cheers !

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thank you for your insights AroEnglish.

The Deluxe Classic is indeed a 68.

Just realized that the bowl chamber wall of Spigots 312/314 is only 8mm thick. The Classic is about 10mm, same as my Savinellis 626. I wonder if the Spigot 312/314 won't smoke hot because of that - my Stanwell Estate also has thin walls (~7mm) and it smokes by far the hottest of the bunch.

Still working on improving my technique and getting very little bite with English blends but mistakes still happen from time to time :) Virginias are more challenging for me though (often one bowl is enough to get scorched - I'll try drying that blend more).
You’re welcome! Yeah, I know how it is to smoke hot as you learn. I relatively recently started smoking straight Virginias and it took a little while but it really helped me in slowing down.

I think that you might find that the same effect happens with a thinner wall. It kind of forces your hand to smoke cooler. I have both a 616 as well which is a lovely beefcake. I think a 314 will round out your collection more to give you variety in chamber size, wall thickness, and weight. It’s only been through trying many shapes and sizes that I’ve been able to understand the differences in a tangible way that’s hard to understand by looking at numbers, especially when they’re only 1 or 2mm. I've learned that those little differences can make a notable impact.

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
This is where I admit I still have a problem ... ;) I am a noob at pipe smoking, with a tinny 8 pipe collection, but I've been smoking cigars for years (I still do, and have a sizeable stock in my humi, although a lot less now as often I reach out for a pipe instead of a cigar).

I like and appreciate cigars who put out a lot of smoke so naturally I tend to draw pretty hard from the pipe too, Getting a mouthful of (pipe) smoke from a single sip that I can retro-hale feels so satisfying.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
This is where I admit I still have a problem ... ;) I am a noob at pipe smoking, with a tinny 8 pipe collection, but I've been smoking cigars for years (I still do, and have a sizeable stock in my humi, although a lot less now as often I reach out for a pipe instead of a cigar).

I like and appreciate cigars who put out a lot of smoke so naturally I tend to draw pretty hard from the pipe too, Getting a mouthful of (pipe) smoke from a single sip that I can retro-hale feels so satisfying.
I've been a hardcore cigar smoker for 20 years and I'm taking 5 or 6 a day! Pipes took a bit for me to get used to and not try to get the same amount of smoke and this and that out of a pipe as I did with a cigar, what i do now that honestly helps me a ton is I will grab a cigar and clip it and put it down in front of me, then i will load up a pipe (I like large bowl pipes) and I will take a couple hits or smoke the pipe for 5 or so minutes and when I'm good on smoking i put the pipe down, never touching the cigar, then when i feel like smoking i will light that pipe again and take a few hits till the urge goes away and i'll put it down, still not touching the cigar. Then later in the day or something I'll smoke a cigar just to smoke a cigar, but i've easily cut down from 5 sticks a day to one with coffee in the morning and one at night and just pipes in between, i don't even have to smoke the one at night it's just a ritual at that point.

For some reason seeing the cigar there while smoking a pipe helps me NOT light the cigar.

Smoking a cigar is PUFF PUFF PUFF ... talk puff do something while puffing .. etc., while the pipe is must more tranquil to me, Once you get over that hump hopefully it will all click.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
On the aromatics that feel cool to my fingers when I pinch some up, I'll set it out on my tobacco mat for hours before I smoke it.
A lot of Aros are drenched in PG solution (see below) and they don't really dry like a VA, they are actually made to not dry out easy so they don't loose all of the toppings and stuff they mix in. I have known people to put their tobacco in a microwave and nuke it for a couple seconds to dry it out, i then I don't smoke Aromatics I'm strictly a VA / VaPer guy. It might help to leave it out on a paper towel as that will absorb a little more of the moisture, i'm sure others here can give you more input if they actually can read all the drivel I've written here.

In a cigar humidor solution, propylene glycoland distilled water work in tandem to provide ideal relative humidity and inhibit mold and bacteria growth. Basically, PG absorbs (is hygroscopic) any humidity over 70% and the distilled water releases moisture.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
A p-lip will redirect the smoke to the top of your mouth but it won't solve the issue of tongue bite, at least not in the way you're likely hoping. If you smoke hot the p-lip will just cause roof bite instead of tongue bite. There's no way around it but to smoke cooler.
I have heard p-lip complainers say that they don't like them because of 'roof bite'. I don't get it - I've consciously thought about where the smoke was going as I smoked a p-lip, and I just don't see any issues with the roof of the mouth. I think non-Pete smokers assume that because the hole is in the top of the bit, that the smoke is going to shoot straight up and hit the roof of your mouth, but it just doesn't happen. And I do get tongue bite at times, so if 'roof bite' was caused by the same type of smoking habits, you'd think I'd experience that also.