PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
I've been a hardcore cigar smoker for 20 years and I'm taking 5 or 6 a day! Pipes took a bit for me to get used to and not try to get the same amount of smoke and this and that out of a pipe as I did with a cigar, what i do now that honestly helps me a ton is I will grab a cigar and clip it and put it down in front of me, then i will load up a pipe (I like large bowl pipes) and I will take a couple hits or smoke the pipe for 5 or so minutes and when I'm good on smoking i put the pipe down, never touching the cigar, then when i feel like smoking i will light that pipe again and take a few hits till the urge goes away and i'll put it down, still not touching the cigar. Then later in the day or something I'll smoke a cigar just to smoke a cigar, but i've easily cut down from 5 sticks a day to one with coffee in the morning and one at night and just pipes in between, i don't even have to smoke the one at night it's just a ritual at that point.

For some reason seeing the cigar there while smoking a pipe helps me NOT light the cigar.

Smoking a cigar is PUFF PUFF PUFF ... talk puff do something while puffing .. etc., while the pipe is must more tranquil to me, Once you get over that hump hopefully it will all click.
I was not as brave as you were ha, ha :) - 4 cigars a day was usually my max (but they were typically toro or gordo vitolas, save for winter time when it was too cold for a 2-hours smoke, and had to settle for robustos). Just like yourself, I am down to one, maybe two a day, since I picked up pipe smoking. Will likely reduce the frequency even further once my pipe smoking technique improves and my pipe collection expands (so I can rotate more easily). What I noticed since cutting down on cigars is the rather significant reduction in vinamine-N intake (even after 4-5 pipe bowls), which is a welcomed bonus for me.

Did you notice that somehow cigars have a better taste if smoked after 1-2 pipe bowls (this is not a comparison between cigars and pipe tobacco) ? Not sure whether it is because the pipe cleans my palate or rather because I cut down on the amount of cigars per day.

One more thing, since you smoke VaPer and cigars: CD Bayou Morning Flake, it was reported by various pipers to be rather strong due to high Perique content. How strong are we talking about here, if you smoked it, the same level as an Oliva Serie V or LFD Double Ligero ?

Reactions: Nevaditude

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
On the aromatics that feel cool to my fingers when I pinch some up, I'll set it out on my tobacco mat for hours before I smoke it.
My fist pipe was a MM Country Gentleman cob, and since I didn't know any better, I bought the MM 150 Anniversary as my first tobacco to smoke with it. An Aromatic and very wet out of the tin. You can imagine how my very first pipe smoke went :LOL: : it bit me horrendously.

The only Aromatic I smoke occasionally now is Rattray Bagpiper's Dream. To me it feels drier out of the tin than OGS. It bites me a bit but manageable.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Va and va/per blends are where I want to end up as I gain experience and my technique improves. Not there just yet. The OGS I have doesn't like to play nice.
Had the same problem, dried it to kindling, smoked great and no bite. A lot of it is just learning how to smoke, now i can smoke more moist VAs, CRF and things like that, just have the bowl loading down better and cadence, also i smoke 99.9% of the time out of meerschaum which shouldn't really make a difference, they do naturally smoke drier but I'm not the one to say that helps with tongue bite.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I was not as brave as you were ha, ha :) - 4 cigars a day was usually my max (but they were typically toro or gordo vitolas, save for winter time when it was too cold for a 2-hours smoke, and had to settle for robustos). Just like yourself, I am down to one, maybe two a day, since I picked up pipe smoking. Will likely reduce the frequency even further once my pipe smoking technique improves and my pipe collection expands (so I can rotate more easily). What I noticed since cutting down on cigars is the rather significant reduction in vinamine-N intake (even after 4-5 pipe bowls), which is a welcomed bonus for me.

Did you notice that somehow cigars have a better taste if smoked after 1-2 pipe bowls (this is not a comparison between cigars and pipe tobacco) ? Not sure whether it is because the pipe cleans my palate or rather because I cut down on the amount of cigars per day.

One more thing, since you smoke VaPer and cigars: CD Bayou Morning Flake, it was reported by various pipers to be rather strong due to high Perique content. How strong are we talking about here, if you smoked it, the same level as an Oliva Serie V or LFD Double Ligero ?
Very little pipe tobacco you find specially in the VA / VaPer is going to compare to a cigar, even the Warped blends that they put some cigar leaf in. They are complete different beasts to me, I smoke cubans which are even more mild than domestic sticks and they still are two different things.

Yes i have noticed that they compliment each other either way, a bowl after (or dare a say during if i put a cigar down and take a couple puffs off a bowl) there is a stark difference, more flavor from the pipe, etc.,

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
Many thanks to all who replied - have read all posts.

I'll get either a 312, or a 314 System Spigot - have yet to decide which one. The 312 has a nicer grain and stain, and slightly larger bowl, but is 0.5oz heavier. The 314 is lighter and has a slightly fatter/bulkier bowl shape which I like more. Also it seems 314 gets more love overall from owners. I might go for the 314 in the end.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

I'll get either a 312, or a 314 System Spigot - have yet to decide which one. The 312 has a nicer grain and stain, and slightly larger bowl, but is 0.5oz heavier. The 314 is lighter and has a slightly fatter/bulkier bowl shape which I like more. Also it seems 314 gets more love overall from owners. I might go for the 314 in the end.
Yeah go for the 314!

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
I've got a 314 system spigot and a 317 system, both P-lips. Both are good pipes and the only two I have been smoking for the past few months. They are similar in shape to the 312. The 317 is small and light while the 314 is a little larger, but lighter than the 312. Easy to clench or let hang due to the bent shape, easy to clean. You can disassemble them hot due to the army mounts, and you just have to remember to dry out the moisture well first with a paper towel (1/4 of a half sheet, rolled into sort of a wick, having begun rolling with a corner as the tip so that it is smaller on the end which will be worked into the well) before dumping the ash when you are done smoking. A pipe cleaner is relatively easy to work through the stem from the top once you get the hang of it. I don't get tongue or roof bite, but then again, I only smoke burley/perique or dark Kentucky straight.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

I love the 314's and have a 1/2 dozen of them.
They work very well for the angles and clenching for me and are light.
Yet somehow I can get a very good session out of it's bowl size.

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
Have placed an order for a 314 ! Should arrive towards the end of the week.

Some pipers claimed on other threads that System Spigot pipes are a whole day, every day pipe. Realistically, how many bowls can it take in a day without getting sour ? And if you smoke several bowls in a day, does it need a proportional number of rest days afterwards ?

• Love

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Have placed an order for a 314 ! Should arrive towards the end of the week.

Some pipers claimed on other threads that System Spigot pipes are a whole day, every day pipe. Realistically, how many bowls can it take in a day without getting sour ? And if you smoke several bowls in a day, does it need a proportional number of rest days afterwards ?
Like all other pipe things, it'll be personal, and only personal experience will tell you.
And it will likely vary by your conditions: blend, ambient humidity, breeze (outside?), etc.
Mostly just remember to clean the well first.
If not, you'll get a reminder!

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
Like all other pipe things, it'll be personal, and only personal experience will tell you.
And it will likely vary by your conditions: blend, ambient humidity, breeze (outside?), etc.
Mostly just remember to clean the well first.
If not, you'll get a reminder!
Understood 😄 ! Cheers !

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
I thought I should post an update: received the Pete the other day and boy, she is the nicest pipe in my tinny collection (all under $200). Really like the way it feels in my hand and the weight is just right for me. Haven't had any problems with cleaning and I can pass a cleaner through the stem quite easily.

Smoked Peterson 965 as my first bowl (thought it would be fitting) and it was OK. Followed up with Westminster, then a couple of Orlik GS and I could tell it was getting better with every bowl. Haven't had any problems adapting to the P-Lip end. Most likely it will become my favorite pipe puffy.

Plan to get another Pete in the future once my wallet heals (as I've just pulled the trigger on a Brigham Klondike I was eyeing for quite some time - couldn't pass on the SP sale :)), maybe a System Spigot 312 or the Deluxe Classic as I like those shapes. Other suggestions are welcomed !

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I thought I should post an update: received the Pete the other day and boy, she is the nicest pipe in my tinny collection (all under $200). Really like the way it feels in my hand and the weight is just right for me. Haven't had any problems with cleaning and I can pass a cleaner through the stem quite easily.

Smoked Peterson 965 as my first bowl (thought it would be fitting) and it was OK. Followed up with Westminster, then a couple of Orlik GS and I could tell it was getting better with every bowl. Haven't had any problems adapting to the P-Lip end. Most likely it will become my favorite pipe puffy.

Plan to get another Pete in the future once my wallet heals (as I've just pulled the trigger on a Brigham Klondike I was eyeing for quite some time - couldn't pass on the SP sale :)), maybe a System Spigot 312 or the Deluxe Classic as I like those shapes. Other suggestions are welcomed !
Glad to hear the maiden voyage went well! Any pics of the pipe?

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Thank you for your insights AroEnglish.

The Deluxe Classic is indeed a 68.

Just realized that the bowl chamber wall of Spigots 312/314 is only 8mm thick. The Classic is about 10mm, same as my Savinellis 626. I wonder if the Spigot 312/314 won't smoke hot because of that - my Stanwell Estate also has thin walls (~7mm) and it smokes by far the hottest of the bunch.

Still working on improving my technique and getting very little bite with English blends but mistakes still happen from time to time :) Virginias are more challenging for me though (often one bowl is enough to get scorched - I'll try drying that blend more).
Try Golden Va. instead of Red Va. I find Red Va. can be hotter to smoke.