PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
So, I have a pretty decent vintage, smooth Danish pipe, which is only stamped Prominence A 4. So this is likely a Ben Wade pipe, but his name isn't on it. Does that mean he didn't make it? Likely by someone employed by him? I just want to know if I have all the facts straight.

Attachments

• _MG_0134.jpg
    _MG_0134.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 13
  • _MG_0135.jpg
    _MG_0135.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 13

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Some of the Preben Holm pipes didn't have the "Ben Wade" stamp (see below). Preben Holm wasn't employed by Ben Wade--Ben Wade was a brand (by this date, anyway) owned by Hermann Lane and licensed to Preben Holm (the pipe maker) for him to sell his pipes in the United States. Also the stem would have had a "BW" crown logo, and yours doesn't look like an original. If you're intersted in buying it and asking for an opinion, I'd say you ought to save your money and buy a pipe that was in better condition.

BenWadeProminence+-+6.png

Reactions: jpberg and yanoJL

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Some of the Preben Holm pipes didn't have the "Ben Wade" stamp (see below). Preben Holm wasn't employed by Ben Wade--Ben Wade was a brand (by this date, anyway) owned by Hermann Lane and licensed to Preben Holm (the pipe maker) for him to sell his pipes in the United States. Also the stem would have had a "BW" crown logo, and yours doesn't look like an original. If you're intersted in buying it and asking for an opinion, I'd say you ought to save your money and buy a pipe that was in better condition.

BenWadeProminence+-+6.png
Thank you for your input on this. So, then this pipe was made by Prebem Holm. Do you know approx what year? I'm actually selling it, but I always try to accurately describe any pipe I sell and I also try to price it accordingly.

Reactions: greeneyes