PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
The Brits seem to take pride in the proper preparation and presentation of quality tea. Then why do they add heavy cream and copious amounts of sugar, to my taste ruins the taste. This is not based on direct observation but based on BBC programs that seem spend a lot of time away from the story line to focus on this ritual. Fact or fiction ?

Reactions: Deano
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Both.

As you recognize, traditionally, tea is taken straight or with cream, sugar, milk, or honey. How it is taken depends on individual taste and even those tastes may change on situation or mood.

For example, I generally drink black coffee but may add some sugar or cream if the mood strikes. My only exception is wings, where it is blue cheese or go home.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
The Brits seem to take pride in the proper preparation and presentation of quality tea. Then why do they add heavy cream and copious amounts of sugar, to my taste ruins the taste. This is not based on direct observation but based on BBC programs that seem spend a lot of time away from the story line to focus on this ritual. Fact or fiction ?

Every time I’ve been in the UK, our high tea involved a pub, a few pints, and some type of pasty.

I’m not sure many of them give two squirts. I think the stuff on tv is simply that.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was visiting Victoria on Vancouver Island for work and one of my meetings was at a tea room in our hotel. They put out the dog. It was crazy formal. But, you drank what you drank and added what suit your tastes.

A similar but different experience was at a fire scene. The people that had the fire were Ethiopian and their relatives lived next door. While working a relative popped his head in the door inviting me to coffee. I was perplexed but I figured why not.

Right there, on the tailgate of my truck they brought out a tray with a little fancy coffee pot and they made me coffee and explained the process. It was simply amazing. Best cuppa.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I was visiting Victoria on Vancouver Island for work and one of my meetings was at a tea room in our hotel. They put out the dog. It was crazy formal. But, you drank what you drank and added what suit your tastes.

A similar but different experience was at a fire scene. The people that had the fire were Ethiopian and their relatives lived next door. While working a relative popped his head in the door inviting me to coffee. I was perplexed but I figured why not.

Right there, on the tailgate of my truck they brought out a tray with a little fancy coffee pot and they made me coffee and explained the process. It was simply amazing. Best cuppa.

That’s how I do tea for guests. Gong Fu blows most people’s minds and has converted a few, too.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If TV shows define a nation and it's people, that's really sad. "High Tea" is, indeed, a necessary and daily rite for some English. Probably totally dismissed by most. Even in the US in some of our hotels. Much like some pipe smokers make a rite/ritual out of loading and smoking. Or, maybe, own a car of some sort which they religiously wash and wax every Sunday even though the ignition hasn't been engaged in years.

After reading the numerous "tea" threads here, heavily doctored teas, heavily adulterated pipe blends, and such appear to be "de rigueur" for many. Hell, there are Americans attending football games simply for the "tail gating" rite. The game secondary if a concern at all. The first day of duck hunting is a "rite" for some.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Both.

As you recognize, traditionally, tea is taken straight or with cream, sugar, milk, or honey. How it is taken depends on individual taste and even those tastes may change on situation or mood.

For example, I generally drink black coffee but may add some sugar or cream if the mood strikes. My only exception is wings, where it is blue cheese or go home.
This is exactly the case for me as well, including the wings. Serving wings with ranch dressing is an abomination.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Fact or fiction? Probably a little more varied than either of those answers...

Growing up I pictured Americans waddling around from one can of coke to the next burger, fact or fiction?
These days waddling around between one can of Mountain Dew to the next Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme might be more accurate.

As for me, I don't drink soft drinks or eat fast food. I'll still waddle around for a beer and a burger though!

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Ok TV-shows as we all know don’t always reveal the truth about every day live. But I think for sure some Britains have Tea Time others don’t.

Some have cream tea, with scones and clotted cream. And for shure some use milk and sugar, some don’t and yes they might do it one day and skip it another day. Drinking tea is at least such an individual thing, than smoking pipes.

When it comes to questions wether British people drink it with cream or not, I don’t know.

I like it a lot, but I am a German. There’s is a thing in the north of Germany called “Ostfriesen-Tee”. It’s a strong, black, almost malty tasting tea blend with assorted Indian Assam teas. And they use to drink that strong hot brew with some rock candy and … cream. It’s a speciality. And it tastes great, especially when it’s cold outside.