PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I wish I knew all of this when I lived in Canada. There’s a lot I miss but I’m sure it goes without saying that buying tobacco while living there is not one of them.
Aro, those are the current rule. Back in the bay the allowable amount on return to Canada was different. It used to be ... 200 cigarettes, OR 50 cigars, OR 200 grams of pipe tobacco. Only 1 of the three.

If you live close enough to the US border to do a quick few hour shopping trip, you're daily duty free limit is only $20.00 CDN. That does not include tobacco or alcohol. One $10.00 50 gram tin IS dutiable and taxable, IF the border official decides so.

In my experience .... if you're polite most won't make you pay for purchases under $200.00, unless they include tobacco or alcohol. On $200.00 worth of groceries ( as an example ), it's not worth the time, effort, or paper work to collect the duty and tax.

If you roll up the the border with an "attitude" ........ YMMV .... enjoy the multi orifice inspection ..... LOL

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Aro, those are the current rule. Back in the bay the allowable amount on return to Canada was different. It used to be ... 200 cigarettes, OR 50 cigars, OR 200 grams of pipe tobacco. Only 1 of the three.

If you live close enough to the US border to do a quick few hour shopping trip, you're daily duty free limit is only $20.00 CDN. That does not include tobacco or alcohol. One $10.00 50 gram tin IS dutiable and taxable, IF the border official decides so.

In my experience .... if you're polite most won't make you pay for purchases under $200.00, unless they include tobacco or alcohol. On $200.00 worth of groceries ( as an example ), it's not worth the time, effort, or paper work to collect the duty and tax.

If you roll up the the border with an "attitude" ........ YMMV .... enjoy the multi orifice inspection ..... LOL
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I’ve never been an attitude guy especially with the border agents but I do get a little kick seeing people mouth off then get pulled over 😄

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Our border officers seemingly have no ability to intercept stolen cars at the Montreal port on their way to Africa, but God forbid anyone tries to import a tin of tobacco or a box of cigars.
The priorities of Canadian government are all fucked up.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I just want to make this clear, I don't want to "sneak", or "hide" the tobacco to get it into Canada, I'm looking for ways to bring a lot of tobacco in on the up and up. If I have to get a Native American friend to help (sorry if that's offensive), I can. I really just want to build a deep cellar, because I'm absolutely sure that in the next 5 -10 years, Canada is going to just ban all imported tobacco.
Some good points have been made on this thread.

I am what you would call Native American and the same laws that apply to Canadians also apply to Indians concerning the importation of tobacco. As far as individuals importing tobacco into the country, Indians in Canada have no right to exemptions on duties or taxes applied to tobacco even if it is delivered to the Indian reserve.

I would highly suggest building your cellar slowly over time if you want that.

Instead of the question, “What would your desert island blend be if you could only smoke one blend forever?” It should be changed to, “What would you smoke if you lived in Canada?”

BC taxes and duties on that amount would be northwards of $6250.00 CAD. I assume the tins would not all be in fifty gram portions and some would be two ounces, which is about 56-57 grams. On those two ounce tins it would be the same duty and taxes as a 100 gram tin since the wording says something like each fifty grams or portion thereof.

@AroEnglish has the right idea when he says open a pipe and tobacco shop.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Instead of the question, “What would your desert island blend be if you could only smoke one blend forever?” It should be changed to, “What would you smoke if you lived in Canada?”
The harsh reality that only other commonwealth citizens understand 😭

@AroEnglish has the right idea when he says open a pipe and tobacco shop.
I'd patronize his shop!

Pip'n'Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2022
I have friends that got sick of the price of cigarettes, so they grow their own. I dont think there is a limit on how many plants you can grow? My one buddy grew 20 plants, he rolled his own cigars with them. Best cigar I have ever smoked and hes got a thousand of em. Maybe that is the route for us northerners in this brave new world, or just vape till your lungs shrivel into raisins.

Reactions: kcghost