Cellaring Query - What are You Cellaring Most?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’m now in a position to start putting aside some tins and pouches for a rainy day. I’ve got enough of a selection of opened tobaccos to give me a choice of different flavours and an understanding of what I do and don’t like.

The price of tobacco is only going one way ⬆️ (50g/1.75oz is in the £17-18 or $24-25 range in England as of writing this) so, to all those cellaring - either to age a blend, for financial reasons or to keep a blend you like on hand for the foreseeable - what are you cellaring?

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I try to cellar deep on various Burley (ABF, Wessex) & Virginia flakes (Reiner, Solani, Orlik & a few bulks). Presbyterian Mixture is my go-to English and I want to ensure availability so I'm deepest there. Beyond that, I have been cellaring for awhile now as I like the taste of seasoned tobacco; approximately 100 tins with 10 - 20+ years on them.

Last edited:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I primarily cellar stuff I like to smoke, some will improve with age but mostly to ensure I have what I like available when I want it. My cellar is sufficiently large that I don't worry much about the rising cost of tobacco. Occasionally when I try a new blend I'll purchase 2 tins, one to try, one to the cellar; if I really like I'll order more. I'll also add a stalwart to two (e.g. ODF) to an order to get free shipping. Top ten blends by weight are:
Golden Extra
St. James Flake
Bulk No.2015 Virginia Flake
Old Gowrie
Doblone dOro
Old Dark Fired
Dark Twist
Blackwoods Flake
Flake (new label)
Squadron Leader

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Franco, This question always puzzles me.?‍♂️ Just cellar what you’re enjoying right now. It makes little sense to ask others what they are cellaring as they likely have different taste & opinion. If you’re really enjoying a blend now, then stock your cabinet with it. My cellaring is fairly complete & really rarely ? away anything more…possibly a one off Virginia/VaPer blend.☕

Gooseman

Lurker
Jan 20, 2022
TX
Back in the good old days.. lots of the sites would do a buy 3 get 1 generally on Dunhill. I went very deep on Nightcap, deep on Royal Yacht. Wish I had done more Navy Rolls. The last few years I've been stashing away GLP, SPC and assorted odds and ends.
Those were the good ole days when you could get and stack those deals. Wasnt that long ago but it seems so now

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This

Franco, This question always puzzles me.?‍♂️ Just cellar what you’re enjoying right now. It makes little sense to ask others what they are cellaring as they likely have different taste & opinion. If you’re really enjoying a blend now, then stock your cabinet with it. My cellaring is fairly complete & really rarely ? away anything more…possibly a one off Virginia/VaPer blend.☕
And this.

Mine is complete as well with around 41 years of tobacco put up. 50% Virgina families, 30% aromatics, 15% Burley, 5% latakia

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
At a glance I'd guess that my small but mighty cellar is composed of 75% Virginias, VaPers, VaPerBurs, VaOrs. The other 25% is split about various OTCs, Burley blends, aromatics, and English/Balkan?Oriental blends.
I'll skip specific blends since many of them are now out of production, or, to my way of thinking, now made in cheapened compromised versions.
When you find something you like, stock up on it. But don't stock up on what others recommend without sampling it yourself first. Just because someone else likes a blend doesn't mean you're going to like it.