PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums so hello :). I just purchased a Savinelli Venezia and I cleaned the stem with rubbing alcohol to get the glue off from the price sticker. Now my stem is discolored and smells burnt. Did I ruin the stem and is it still safe to smoke?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to the site Flat4driven!
Discoloration is not unheard of by using rubbing alcohol on the stem, but I have never heard of it smelling burnt from doing it. What is the stem made from?
I have done this before and never experienced a burnt smell. The stem should be alright and be safe to smoke. The discoloration can be fixed.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
There is an ols saw about Savinelli pipes that goes like this, "A $150 pipe and a $0.10 stem.

I don't think you've ruined the stem but it will require buffing in the effected area and waxing of the entire stem. Most B&M's have a buffer and the personell will be glad to make it right for you.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
For a quick easy fix, try putting a drop of olive oil on a paper towel and then rubbing that onto the stem.
I have a Savinelli Venezia myself, and I love it.
Here's mine:
savinelli-venezia-606-ks.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
flat4,if that is a new pipe the burned smell may be coming from the bowl from the briar burning just a little. If that is the case it will go away as it gets broke in.Never heard of alcohol damaging a stem but it will remove wax and make it dull looking. There are several good waxes out there that can be applied by hand. Paragon and Halcyon are what I use. available at http://www.finepipes.com/accessories?sort=20a&page=3 .

Status
Not open for further replies.