PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Man, I cannot agree more on the lightly (or not at all) toasted bread preference. Toast, in my personal view, has such a strong flavor, it often overpowers everything else. Because many places don't get this, I often just ask for my club untoasted.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
A well considered and scholarly analysis of the Club Sandwich. Bravo.

So many places don’t have a clue on properly making sandwiches. Don’t get me started on the hate crime most places pass off as a Reuben...

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Agree with OP on all but the cheese. Going to have to disagree on swiss or cheddar. It has to be good old fashioned mom and pop diner style American cheese. Oh yea, and lightly toasted.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
A well considered and scholarly analysis of the Club Sandwich. Bravo.

So many places don’t have a clue on properly making sandwiches. Don’t get me started on the hate crime most places pass off as a Reuben...
Thank you. I know what you mean about Reubens. I love those as well and they deserve their own dissertation.

Reactions: canucklehead

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Agree with OP on all but the cheese. Going to have to disagree on swiss or cheddar. It has to be good old fashioned mom and pop diner style American cheese. Oh yea, and lightly toasted.
Swiss and cheddar are the most common combination, but there are plenty of other options, including American. American is often used instead of cheddar. It's all good as long as there are two types of cheese.

Reactions: kanaia and trudger

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I have to agree. I like a good club, but I will take a Cuban everytime it's avialable. Never had muffuletta, but it looks good.
There is a chain called Schlotzsky's that specializes in muffuletta sandwiches. They are really good. There's only one location here in Oregon though, and it's in Bend, which is more than a day trip away from me here on the Oregon coast.

Reactions: fMf Piper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
While the components may change, for instance there is the turkey club and there is the BLT club and others, it really is just the third slide of bread and the triangle cut, 2 slices of bread is a sandwich not a club sandwich. It's because in the late 1800s some of the gentlemen's clubs around London served an extra slice of bread on their sandwiches to set themselves apart from the working lower classes, while the poor suffered for bread the rich were enjoying an extra slice in their "club".

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
No thread about club sandwiches is complete without this Mitch Hedberg bit:

“I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member, man. I don't know how I get away with it. How'd it start anyway?
"I like my sandwiches with three pieces of bread." "So do I!"
"Well let's form a club then."
"Alright, but we need more stipulations."
"Yes we do; instead of cutting the sandwich once, let's cut it again."
"Yes, four triangles, and we will position them into a circle. In the middle we will dump chips. Or potato salad."
"Okay. I got a question for ya, how do you feel about frilly toothpicks?"
"I'm for 'em!"
"Well this club is formed; spread the word on menus nationwide."

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
There is a chain called Schlotzsky's that specializes in muffuletta sandwiches. They are really good. There's only one location here in Oregon though, and it's in Bend, which is more than a day trip away from me here on the Oregon coast.
I've had the Schlotzsky's muffuletta. It's okay but doesn't come close to the really great ones made in New Orleans. I'm partial to the ones made at Central Grocery on Decatur St. They are billed as the inventors of the muffuletta. But, to be honest, it's hard to find a bad muffuletta New Orleans and the surrounding area. The ones to avoid are the ones made and sold in the grocery stores.

I like a good club sandwich. I'm in the traditional "toasted, no mustard" club with mine. When they start adding or changing the ingredients is where they lose me. I like avocados but it don't belong on a club sandwich.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Some places will substitute roast beef for the ham, which is also pretty good. As with the cheese, the important thing is to have two types of meat.
I can get behind roast beef and turkey. Unfortunately I've never even found a place that offers a club with two meats or two cheeses. There's not any mom and pop delis near me; they're all chains.

Reactions: Briar Tuck and SBC
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I can get behind roast beef and turkey. Unfortunately I've never even found a place that offers a club with two meats or two cheeses. There's not any mom and pop delis near me; they're all chains.
Several decent diners and bars are in your area with club sandwiches. Try downtown or the Southside.

Fleetwood Diner is a staple. Jose's Cuban seems sketch but is legit. Stateside Deli is east of town. Soup Spoon Cafe has one with 2 meats and cheeses.

Report back.