PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

oom

Lurker
Nov 25, 2023
I purchased a Dwarf Cobbit pipe from MM last month. Life got in the way and I didn't get around to closely inspecting it until recently, unfortunately after the 14-day return window. Lesson learned. It turns out that the stem, right in the bend, is clogged with what I suspect is wood shavings. I've tried unclogging it with a pipe cleaner, a paper clip, and a stronger metal wire with no success. MM's response thus far has been essentially "That happens sometimes" and to use a paper clip. Anyone here have any other ideas how to get this thing unclogged or did I order a paperweight?

Happy holidays,

Oom

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
I purchased a Dwarf Cobbit pipe from MM last month. Life got in the way and I didn't get around to closely inspecting it until recently, unfortunately after the 14-day return window. Lesson learned. It turns out that the stem, right in the bend, is clogged with what I suspect is wood shavings. I've tried unclogging it with a pipe cleaner, a paper clip, and a stronger metal wire with no success. MM's response thus far has been essentially "That happens sometimes" and to use a paper clip. Anyone here have any other ideas how to get this thing unclogged or did I order a paperweight?

Happy holidays,

Oom
Use a 3\16 drill bit

Reactions: yohanan

oom

Lurker
Nov 25, 2023
I should have included in my original post, this stem looks to be 1/16 in

oom

Lurker
Nov 25, 2023
Following up, a 1/16 drill bit got the job done. I initially thought the clog was right in the bend, so drilling wasn't an option but gave it a shot anyway. Thanks Green Hill piper for the suggestion!
I could see if there were....wood fuzzies in the shank, but in the stem? Wierd!
Could have been acrylic shavings maybe? I couldn't quite tell after I ran the drill through it.

Reactions: didimauw