PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, the IMAGERY of the Disco Era---meaning the exaggerated stuff in movies and magazines---has now replaced reality for anyone who wasn't there.

About all anyone who actually lived through it remembers as being a "daily manifestation" were wide lapels and neckties (shag carpet existed long before 1977).

The rest could only be seen only by choice, pretty much, by going to dance clubs, or watching movies or TV which exaggerated everything.

Oh yeah. Brick-shaped moustaches. They were also popular.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Yeah, the IMAGERY of the Disco Era---meaning the exaggerated stuff in movies and magazines---has now replaced reality for anyone who wasn't there.

About all anyone who actually lived through it remembers as being a "daily manifestation" were wide lapels and neckties (shag carpet existed long before 1977).

The rest could only be seen only by choice, pretty much, by going to dance clubs, or watching movies or TV which exaggerated everything.

And, sideburns. It seems like everyone had sideburns.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The pipes likely fit better with the New Wave and New Age movement of the late '70s/early 80s.
I could go either way with that. I wouldn't call them either but it's not even a little surprising that pipes like that would have a market in the same cultural climate that birthed disco and New Wave stuff. And New Age isn't that when people take old spiritual practice and wrap them in a bubble wrap of "self help" ;).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I could go either way with that. I wouldn't call them either but it's not even a little surprising that pipes like that would have a market in the same cultural climate that birthed disco and New Wave stuff. And New Age isn't that when people take old spiritual practice and wrap them in a bubble wrap of "self help" ;).
I was there for both. The natural form of the pipes fit into the New Age mentality of the time, and the freehand styling fit well with the New Wave camp.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I've never associated Freehands with Disco. There was The Pipe and The Smoke series from VENTURI. They were first offered in the late 60's -- which is before the time I associate with disco, at least in the US -- and didn't prove very enduring. There were also the various colored pipe series as noted above. I always thought of it as more of a Hippie thing. Maybe we can compromise on "Counter Culture Pipes."

If you're interested in learning more about some "counter culture pipes" than you ever cared about:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I was there for both. The natural form of the pipes fit into the New Age mentality of the time, and the freehand styling fit well with the New Wave camp.
funny how movements change when i think new age i think of the 80's and 90's people who want to pad the whole world and do mental gymnastics of there are no badies just not enough hugs.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States

1977 Iwan Ries catalog from Steve Laug at Reborn Pipes. I have 1978 IRC catalog with a gold and platinum filigree pipe on the cover for only $1,250.00.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

pretty much every decade and the media portrait. Love seeing the 80's stuff now and thinking oh there were colorful freaks out there but most people looked pretty normal and mostly would have fit in now without turning any heads.
Though the thing that annoys me is when movies or shows act like everything better remind the audience of the decade and people reference all the things contemporary people talk about that decade. Best is when they literally mention the decade in a way that no one in real life ever has mentioned the decade they're currently in.