Does Sweetened Black Cavendish Make Anyone Else Feel Crappy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Chacom Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
24 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
119 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dingdong

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
probably the tobacco is still too wet (too high a moisture) - a sweet smelling wet sugary tobacco will certainly bitemore. thats why you don't call your love "sugar" or it will bite

"honey" probably less bitey

Reactions: JustAregularPiper

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Thanks for all the input guys. Now I have got some experimenting to do. I was ready to write off anything sweet with cav in the blend. I have gotten some good feedback and recommendations from you guys. Much appreciated.
Try some untopped black cav straight, like Lane BCA. It's a very mild smoke as it's just black cav, or try the Danish as another member mentioned. I personally love aromatics but tend to buy the Danish ones and don't seem to have any issue. You could also try the breath smoking method, it made a world of difference for me once I figured it out. Enhanced Pipe-Smoking Flavor and Comfort with Breath Smoking - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/enhanced-pipe-smoking-flavor-and-comfort-with-breath-smoking

Reactions: ThermionicScott

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
It's all been said by the other guys here and what might be worth a try is a brown Cavendish or just avoid it completely. Cavendish are usually used because they carry the topping or casings so very well but other flavour exist in different genres and it's worth exploring others for sure. ttps://www.tobaccoreviews.com has a search function that allows you to select tobaccos by varietal which is helpful and if you're looking for something with a very soft flavour maybe explore stoved Virginias like Rattray's Dark Fragrant, bit harder to keep lit but a very very subtle smoke. As to your original question, no, but I dislike the American style Aro's that have a lot more than just a topping or casing added and its possible that this is what isn't agreeing with you.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
I have come to appreciate most all types of tobacco that I have tried but have yet to try any aromatics. I am hesitant to try any because every time I smoke BCav it makes me feel crappy and my mouth taste terrible. I am thinking it must be a high sugar content thing or maybe I am mistaken in thinking so. I would love to hear thoughts on the subject.

So, I am really just wondering if I am alone in feeling this way and also is this what I could expect from aromatics as well?

Also, you may be wondering what I have smoked with black cav in… When I first picked up a pipe my local tobacconist gave me straight sweetened black cav and told me its the best place to start. This may be true for some and I appreciate his opinion and knowledge but I absolutely hated it. I have since tried adding it to other blends to experiment and even the smallest amount makes me feel almost hungover the next day.

Thanks in advance for any input from you fine folk.
I feel crappy just hearing the words "sweetened black cavendish."

Reactions: FLDRD
Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
I feel crappy just hearing the words "sweetened black cavendish."
Glad I am not the only one. I avoid it completely now. I don’t really like the experience of any sweetened tobacco that I have come across. Didn’t take much to decide I’m better off sticking with burley forward blends.

Reactions: FLDRD

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Glad I am not the only one. I avoid it completely now. I don’t really like the experience of any sweetened tobacco that I have come across. Didn’t take much to decide I’m better off sticking with burley forward blends.
You'd probably be fine with Rattrays Marlin Flake or Germain Gold Flake, which are sugared up a bit.

Reactions: JustAregularPiper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I am aware of this. Still wanting to know if people have similar reactions to it and if it is a common experience with aromatics for anyone.

Leaf processed into Cavendish alone are not Aromatics, Cavendish does get used in Aromatics, but Cavendish is also used in Non Aromatics.

So you’d have to be more specific, as to which Aromatics with Cavendish in them, that are bothering you?

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
Leaf processed into Cavendish alone are not Aromatics, Cavendish does get used in Aromatics, but Cavendish is also used in Non Aromatics.

So you’d have to be more specific, as to which Aromatics with Cavendish in them, that are bothering you?
I was specifically asking about sweetend cavendish. Thats all.

Aromatics are also sweetened and I was hesitant to try them because of my experience with sweetend cavendish. Thats why the mention of aromatics.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I was specifically asking about sweetend cavendish. Thats all.

Aromatics are also sweetened and I was hesitant to try them because of my experience with sweetend cavendish. Thats why the mention of aromatics.

I wouldn’t completely write off Cavendish. If it’s sweetened with a casing in any particular way, whatever is used can vary, and as you may be aware, different leaf like Burley or VA can be made into Cavendish, and the process can also vary.

It’s a bit hard to generalize as ‘Sweetened Cavendish’, as one size fits all, it doesn’t. This is why I was asking to be more specific to the blends you tried that you didn’t like.

Just remember too, a sweetened cavendish you didn’t like in one blend, prepared the same way, but added to different leaf varieties can bring about a different experience.

In the beginning, it’s best to take it one blend at a time.

Cavendish, does help for better mouth feel, and cooler smoother smoking, so you might just want to steer clear of overly sweet and just be on the look out for plain cavendish or subtly sweet.

This is a good article on Cavendish if you haven’t seen it.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
I wouldn’t completely write off Cavendish. If it’s sweetened with a casing in any particular way, whatever is used can vary, and as you may be aware, different leaf like Burley or VA can be made into Cavendish, and the process can also vary.

It’s a bit hard to generalize as ‘Sweetened Cavendish’, as one size fits all, it doesn’t. This is why I was asking to be more specific to the blends you tried that you didn’t like.

Just remember too, a sweetened cavendish you didn’t like in one blend, prepared the same way, but added to different leaf varieties can bring about a different experience.

In the beginning, it’s best to take it one blend at a time.

Cavendish, does help for better mouth feel, and cooler smoother smoking, so you might just want to steer clear of overly sweet and just be on the look out for plain cavendish or subtly sweet.

This is a good article on Cavendish if you haven’t seen it.

Not writing off cavendish at all more just sweet tobacco. I don’t like sweet tobacco and as I said in the post I was referring to straight sweetend cavendish. Not a blend. My question was really simple and I was being as specific as I needed to be.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Not writing off cavendish at all more just sweet tobacco. I don’t like sweet tobacco and as I said in the post I was referring to straight sweetend cavendish. Not a blend. My question was really simple and I was being as specific as I needed to be.

No the issue isn’t complicated, but you were also not being as specific as need be, all I can think is, you are making assumptions that all Sweetened Cavendish falls under the same category of mouth taste/sensations, nicotine, sweetness, etc., they do not.

It is the Preparation of the Cavendish, not the word being called sweet. Sweetened Cavendish doesn’t always fall under the same idea of sweet like taste sensations.

Do you know/remember the name of this Black Cavendish you were given?

In pipe tobacco, there are Casings and Toppings, for flavor and mouthfeel.

This is a good article to read, even though it’s labeled as for Aromatics.

I’ve never seen anyone here have a bad experience with black cavendish, and saying feeling crappy, that could be what was in the cavendish, how it was prepared, possibly low quality, or artificial ingredients, enough to make anyone feel crappy.

Unless you have sensitivitys/allergies to certain leaf varities, or nicotine.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
No the issue isn’t complicated, but you were also not being as specific as need be, all I can think is, you are making assumptions that all Sweetened Cavendish falls under the same category of mouth taste/sensations, nicotine, sweetness, etc., they do not.

It is the Preparation of the Cavendish, not the word being called sweet. Sweetened Cavendish doesn’t always fall under the same idea of sweet like taste sensations.

Do you know/remember the name of this Black Cavendish you were given?

In pipe tobacco, there are Casings and Toppings, for flavor and mouthfeel.

This is a good article to read, even though it’s labeled as for Aromatics.

I’ve never seen anyone here have a bad experience with black cavendish, and saying feeling crappy, that could be what was in the cavendish, how it was prepared, possibly low quality, or artificial ingredients, enough to make anyone feel crappy.

Unless you have sensitivitys/allergies to certain leaf varities, or nicotine.
You are over complicating this. The question was simple. This thread is old enough I have experimented on my own. I dont like flavored tobacco. It makes me feel like crap. You are giving me all kinds of unnecessary info that im not asking for. I also already know all of what you are saying.

Heavily cased black cav doesn’t make you feel crappy. That was my question. You answered it. I am not looking for any more. Thank you.

I am not trying to have a debate. No further input is needed.