PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I was antiquing today and I found this piece, the price is an absolute steal for a meer let alone one with patina. I almost bought it on the spot but the coloring doesn't look quite right to me, I get that it dulls after not being smoked for a while but still it feels off. I'm well are that pressed meerschaum doesn't really color but I'm sure some people have artifially stained some. What do you think? Too good a deal to pass up or to good to be true?received_921813995688059.jpeg

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
Its hard to tell but If you pick it up it should be light if its a quality block either way i would defiantly give 55$ for it if it were me and i liked the way it felt and looked.

Reactions: Zamora

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Its hard to tell but If you pick it up it should be light if its a quality block either way i would defiantly give 55$ for it if it were me and i liked the way it felt and looked.
I'd have to see better photos, but these were under $70 each.

View attachment 213468

My owl was only $120. A meerschaum doesn't have to be expensive to be block.
It's not the price that has me concerned it might be pressed, the color just looks kinda off for a meer. Lots of pipes in antique shops have a much lower asking price than what they'd actually be worth, I've heard of Dunhills being sold for pocket change. I think I'll go ahead and take a gamble and buy it if it's still available next time I stop by. If it turns out to not be legit I'll probably just sell it to another antique shop, so many people buy estates as bric a brac.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Looks legit to me. Best way to find out is to ask the store to pull it out of the case so you can hold it. It should be pretty light in the hand. If the coloring appears off it could just be that it's dusty/dirty from sitting around for a long time. It's probably just faded since it hasn't been smoked in a while.

Pressed meers are usually smaller pipes, and many are classic shapes. A larger pipe in the shape of an egg and claw with what appears to be an amber stem says real to me. The pipe appears to be well smoked. I have an older meer that has the brown stained look, and it's legit.

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
I was antiquing today and I found this piece, the price is an absolute steal for a meer let alone one with patina. I almost bought it on the spot but the coloring doesn't look quite right to me, I get that it dulls after not being smoked for a while but still it feels off. I'm well are that pressed meerschaum doesn't really color but I'm sure some people have artifially stained some. What do you think? Too good a deal to pass up or to good to be true?View attachment 213463
It is a block meerschaum.
@metalheadycigarguy 's reasoning is absolutely correct.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Looks legit to me. Best way to find out is to ask the store to pull it out of the case so you can hold it. It should be pretty light in the hand. If the coloring appears off it could just be that it's dusty/dirty from sitting around for a long time. It's probably just faded since it hasn't been smoked in a while.

Pressed meers are usually smaller pipes, and many are classic shapes. A larger pipe in the shape of an egg and claw with what appears to be an amber stem says real to me. The pipe appears to be well smoked. I have an older meer that has the brown stained look, and it's legit.
I took your advice and had a look at it, it's quite light almost jarringly slow. The coloring is definately darker on the bottom. I concluded the color just looks off because of grime and bought it. Thanks for the advice.

BTW off topic but are you the same Metalhead Cigarguy as the YouTube channel? If so great content!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Pressed meerschaum was very prevalent in the first half of the 20th century. It was called chip meerschaum, and they were carved as well turned. It was generally not intended to deceive, it was usually advertised as exactly what it was and marketed as lower cost alternative to the pricier block meerschaum.

The tongue test will only work a clean chamber. If there is any cake or combustion residue don't count on it working. Weight is subjective, yes on average pressed meer pipes are heavier than block pipes. But unless you've handled a fair number of old meers your basically just guessing. Old chip meers can be deceptively light.

It is true that chip meer does not color or colors very poorly. But the one thing I have noticed with pressed vs block is the way they cut with tools. Having replaced tenons in chip meer pipes I noticed that it has very coarse sandy feeling when you run a tap into it or scrape it with a blade as apposed to block which has very uniform soft powdery feeling. Chip meer also has a different sound and feel when you tap on it with something hard.

Reactions: Zamora

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
It was already smoked so I couldn't do the lick test. I went ahead and bought it, upon closer look I concluded the color just looks off from grime which I can easily scrub off.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Pressed meerschaum was very prevalent in the first half of the 20th century. It was called chip meerschaum, and they were carved as well turned. It was generally not intended to deceive, it was usually advertised as exactly what it was and marketed as lower cost alternative to the pricier block meerschaum.

The tongue test will only work a clean chamber. If there is any cake or combustion residue don't count on it working. Weight is subjective, yes on average pressed meer pipes are heavier than block pipes. But unless you've handled a fair number of old meers your basically just guessing. Old chip meers can be deceptively light.

It is true that chip meer does not color or colors very poorly. But the one thing I have noticed with pressed vs block is the way they cut with tools. Having replaced tenons in chip meer pipes I noticed that it has very coarse sandy feeling when you run a tap into it or scrape it with a blade as apposed to block which has very uniform soft powdery feeling. Chip meer also has a different sound and feel when you tap on it with something hard.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I took your advice and had a look at it, it's quite light almost jarringly slow. The coloring is definately darker on the bottom. I concluded the color just looks off because of grime and bought it. Thanks for the advice.

BTW off topic but are you the same Metalhead Cigarguy as the YouTube channel? If so great content!

Nice, I hope it's a great smoker for you, and yes, I am that Metalhead. ;) Thanks.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I strongly suspect that stem is amber. If you can get a better photo, if that's amber, it won't be pressed meerschaum.