PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I was referring to me going into the Dunhill store as a customer. A customer wasn't just buying a pipe or tobacco, he was having a "smoking experience"!!!

I will always remember the day I walked to the store to find that it was gone, replaced by a...Barbie store.
My poor reading skills strike again. I incorrectly read your post as "when I was a tobacconist..."

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
They even made a few (Dunhill, not White Spot) —fewer than 50—of ivory dots in the 20's (1920's), or so I've read. No one here has admitted to seeing one, and some are vehement that it never happened,

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Very simply, it's that someone is willing, for any of a number of reasons, to pay the money. The rest will be the subject of endless debate.

Would you believe it! It's not exactly the first time the question has been posed.

Learning basic search skills can be useful:

I guess since the McClelland threads have died down, the Dunhill threads are staging a comeback. Then what would come next? Another round of Esoterica threads, or are we due for a revival of "manliness" threads.
I vote for thore Manliness threads.............. Those are ALWAYS GREAT FUN!..............

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
OP, you're not wrong. I'm finding with my one and only Dunny, a '66 6120 F/T 4S, that it is smoking a couple recent bowls (2024 Steamworks, and 2022 MB Navy Flake) noticabley sweeter than in other briars and meers, and in a good way. I'll be exploring this taste further with more blends. Consulting Copilot about their briar curing process, it tells me:

Yes, Dunhill does use a special curing method for their briar pipes. The process, patented by Dunhill in 1913, involves curing and refinishing pipes with oil1. Here’s how it works:
This method is thought to reproduce the conditions of the “first smoke”, which also removes the oil as it gradually seeps through1. This unique curing process contributes to the distinctive quality and smoking experience of Dunhill pipes. However, it’s worth noting that the curing process for briar pipes can vary significantly among manufacturers, each having their own proprietary methods and techniques.

Does it make a difference after all these years? 🤷‍♂️ Dunno. I'm a bald newbie at higher-end pipes.
IMG_6201.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
OP, you're not wrong. I'm finding with my one and only Dunny, a '66 6120 F/T 4S, that it is smoking a couple recent bowls (2024 Steamworks, and 2022 MB Navy Flake) noticabley sweeter than in other briars and meers, and in a good way. I'll be exploring this taste further with more blends. Consulting Copilot about their briar curing process, it tells me:

Yes, Dunhill does use a special curing method for their briar pipes. The process, patented by Dunhill in 1913, involves curing and refinishing pipes with oil1. Here’s how it works:
This method is thought to reproduce the conditions of the “first smoke”, which also removes the oil as it gradually seeps through1. This unique curing process contributes to the distinctive quality and smoking experience of Dunhill pipes. However, it’s worth noting that the curing process for briar pipes can vary significantly among manufacturers, each having their own proprietary methods and techniques.

Does it make a difference after all these years? 🤷‍♂️ Dunno. I'm a bald newbie at higher-end pipes.
View attachment 315528
if you perceive a difference then there is a difference. Doesn't matter if it's all in your head or not. Which in a way is where all external stimuli gets processed anyways.

• Love
Reactions: Scottmi