PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
You know, I cant knock ppl for wanting to stock up on what they like, and I also cant knock ppl that can get it and flip it for some extra cash.

I know its frowned upon, and I deal with this locally at the liquor stores for "rare" bourbon, but if someone is willing to pay ridiculous amounts for something, then I dont blame those that are raking it in on the secondary market. (12 yr Weller, MSRP is maybe $70 sits on shelves here for $200-$300 and ppl buy it up)

That being said, with so many options available of good pipe tobacco, I cannot think of an Esoterica blend that I would miss if they quit making it. Maybe Stonehaven, but thats it. Even then, I am sure I would find another down the road more readily available that would suffice.

After McClelland stopped producing, that kind of hurt my choices, but now my cellar has a lot of new-to-me favorites I probably would not have tried otherwise.

Again, not knocking anyone's person preference for tobacco, but just my hot take on the whole Esoterica thing.

Reactions: Papamique

The Algerian

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2022
Golden Valley, AZ
The problem as I see it is when the market is artificially cornered by a small group of buyers who for whatever reason have access to a product that most do not. When their actions have the consequences of making access to goods less efficient and more expensive for buyers, capitalism is acting in a corrupt manner. Capitalism isn't a one way street where the seller is the only one to obtain value. The buyer must obtain value through efficiencies and in terms of a lower price. It goes both ways - seller and buyer should benefit. When the vast majority of buyers no longer have efficient access to a product, capitalism has failed them.

This sense of exchange benefiting both groups seems to get lost in discussion. When the system benefits only a minority of buyers and sellers, the system has broken down for the majority of buyers.

Reactions: Egg Shen
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I've never had much issue buying what I wanted at retail. People who get their phone calls or emails about a low inventory product do so because they've formed relationships the seller values enough to warrant an outreach.

I don't have such relationships, but I've still never been able to not find something I wanted if you just go through the process required to find it.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You know, I cant knock ppl for wanting to stock up on what they like, and I also cant knock ppl that can get it and flip it for some extra cash.
The problem as I see it is when the market is artificially cornered by a small group of buyers who for whatever reason have access to a product that most do not. When their actions have the consequences of making access to goods less efficient and more expensive for buyers, capitalism is acting in a corrupt manner.
In any market, buyers set the price. If buyers refuse to pay high prices, sellers lower them. If sellers refuse to lower their prices and buyers refuse to pay those prices, the seller goes out of business and his competition consumes his remains.

Tobacco being a niche market, and a few "super star" names being a niche within a niche we're dealing with a small, very specialized market where the actions of relatively few buyers have an outsized effect. The simple answer to high prices is, don't pay them. In a tiny market all it takes is a couple of buyers willing to pay high prices to set that market. It's buyers who set the price.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
In any market, buyers set the price. If buyers refuse to pay high prices, sellers lower them. If sellers refuse to lower their prices and buyers refuse to pay those prices, the seller goes out of business and his competition consumes his remains.

Tobacco being a niche market, and a few "super star" names being a niche within a niche we're dealing with a small, very specialized market where the actions of relatively few buyers have an outsized effect. The simple answer to high prices is, don't pay them. In a tiny market all it takes is a couple of buyers willing to pay high prices to set that market. It's buyers who set the price.

This is so true in the book collecting world. I remember Otto Penzler, owner of the Mysterious Bookshop, once said to me that 90% of rare books were bought by 10% of the collectors. Back in the late '80s/early '90s, the vintage paperback craze was taking off. Phone auctions were a big thing and prices were climbing. The 1952 Lion paperback original, The Killer inside Me, by Jim Thompson became highly sought after. For years, it was commanding about $125.00 for a nice copy, but, wasn't really selling—then, as demand grew, it jumped to $450.00 almost overnight. A high-end dealer called Joseph the Provider, run by Ralph Sipper, Larry Moskowitz, and Lee Campbell, listed a very nice copy with just some minor creasing in an anniversary catalogue around 1990 or 1991. The asking price was $750.00. A collector I knew got a 20% discount and paid $600.00 for the book. Word traveled fast and the collecting community was abuzz with "the fact" that the Thompson book sold for $1,000.00. Copies started appearing at paperback shows with $1,000.00 price tags. Askin' ain't gettin', but, sometimes situations get created where it can be so.

The Algerian

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2022
Golden Valley, AZ
In any market, buyers set the price.
Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. I agree for the most part.

However, when a few individuals corner that market, the price is not set by the majority of buyers but rather by the few buyers who have the resources to corner the market. The retailer is still selling Esoterica at under $20.00 a tin. That price never changes. What does change is the price the scalpers have decided they will sell it. Yes, so long as there are individuals willing to pay the overly high price for Esoterica - or whatever tobacco is being sold, the market remains cornered and the few buyers who are willing to pay the additional price to acquire the product are able to do so.

This is not the intent of capitalism and that is my point. Those who argue that it is perfectly fine for scalpers to engage in scalping without penalty, are not arguing for free market capitalism that defines itself as a system designed to bring efficiencies to both buyers and sellers. This is why regulations are often developed and implemented for ticket sales to concerts, etc.

Are the Esoterica scalpers and flippers acting in a legal way? Of course. Do they have a right to do so? Of course. I suggest, however, that the argument not be put forward that what they are doing is to be commended. Ultimately, it will sour the relationship most buyers have with the producer and discourage most people from trying their product, which is neither good for consumer or producer.

Which, I imagine, is why some retailers are limiting purchases and requiring the purchase of a pipe. I wonder why our tobacco scalpers feel that is unfair?

Reactions: Egg Shen

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
I'm not a fan of scalping in any hobby but it seems to be happening more and more regularly. If I had the opportunity to purchase some Esoterica I'd probably pull the trigger. I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that I'll probably never be afforded that opportunity. I can't believe the inflated prices it goes for on the secondary market. It blows my mind. I've see upwards of $500 usd for an eight ounce bag. For that price I don't care what it tastes/ smokes like.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I found Rich’s in Oregon has some Germain/Esoterica.

I’m looking for Germain Plumcake and Esoterica Stonehaven, Blackpool, Ramsgate, if anyone knows where at retail?

Reactions: swampgrizzly

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I did get the 1st In-stock alert 9:55am EST. I did get my fill :col:. Yet with drops the past
2 weeks...Nothing here on alerts???

Well, I wish the Mainland businesses would try and REMEMBER, Alaska and Hawaii are in the USA too! LOL 😆

So I don’t have to get up in the wee hours of the morning just to buy tobacco. :(

This is why I always miss out, stuff goes online, when it’s like 3-5am in the morning, sometimes earlier... :(

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is not the intent of capitalism and that is my point.
Sure it's not the intent of capitalism, nor any other economic system with a shot at success, but every system is implemented by human beings and a fundamental component of humans is that they are loathe to give up an unearned advantage. That is going to muck up the mechanics of any system.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is so true in the book collecting world. I remember Otto Penzler, owner of the Mysterious Bookshop, once said to me that 90% of rare books were bought by 10% of the collectors. Back in the late '80s/early '90s, the vintage paperback craze was taking off. Phone auctions were a big thing and prices were climbing. The 1952 Lion paperback original, The Killer inside Me, by Jim Thompson became highly sought after. For years, it was commanding about $125.00 for a nice copy, but, wasn't really selling—then, as demand grew, it jumped to $450.00 almost overnight. A high-end dealer called Joseph the Provider, run by Ralph Sipper, Larry Moskowitz, and Lee Campbell, listed a very nice copy with just some minor creasing in an anniversary catalogue around 1990 or 1991. The asking price was $750.00. A collector I knew got a 20% discount and paid $600.00 for the book. Word traveled fast and the collecting community was abuzz with "the fact" that the Thompson book sold for $1,000.00. Copies started appearing at paperback shows with $1,000.00 price tags. Askin' ain't gettin', but, sometimes situations get created where it can be so.
The thing about collectibles is that tastes and fashions change, causing once sought after baubles to become clutter. I think the only people who really make any money are the agents.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
People have been buying and re-selling hot commodities at a markup since the stone ages. Well, ever since humans invented money at any rate.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I guess not. Why didn't you post an alert?
I have stopped posting on Germain's tobacco's as I also get a PM on not supporting the Flippers. Plus, I stopped chasing the brand and was Email a stock alert which usually ends up being sold out. This time it was not as some items were, but the site crashed around 10:05am EST and was up and down for 2hrs+. It was over when it started.

Reactions: MattRVA

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
2022 Esoterica bags on auction, some at Tnbids at $200. 😡

If you want Esoterica bags cheaper, I found this site Treasuredsmokes.

I don’t know anything about this place, but it looks legit.
I can confirm the site is legitimate. Ken is a great guy to deal with. The site is more of a hobby site IMHO than a way of life for him. Most of his Esoterica stock was snapped up just before the mad rush on Tinbids.

Status
Not open for further replies.