PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Title edited for caps. Rule 9

When you’re out and about, where do you get your coffee? Yes yes many of you roast coffee and have fancy machines and presses, no one cares, this is about grabbing a coffee out on the go. 🤷‍♂️🤠

Please use standard English capitalization for proper nouns. Also "Cali" is a city in S. America.

When i travel to north cali for work i always to to hit up Philz pour over coffee, it’s a wait but a great cup of coffee. When I’m at home if I’m out i just hit Dunkin.

I guess i won’t be trying this place, from the no one saw it coming file ..

Last edited by a moderator:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
About the only time I get coffee while out and about is when I'm with my family, like at a shopping mall and I'm sitting on a bench watching people while my family shops. I'll usually grab a large iced mocha, sometimes with an extra shot of espresso. I prefer Caribou over Starbucks, primarily because of Starbucks' woke bullshit.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There used to be a "mocha hut" a couple of miles from my house. Every morning I'd get my wife a mocha and a cup of black coffee, it was excellant, take Sally's home and sip mine while surveying the Marsh for photo ops. It was a great way to start my day. Cancer killed my wife. Covid scare ( lack of dependable employees) killed the drive-in. I sorely miss those days.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
There used to be a "mocha hut" a couple of miles from my house. Every morning I'd get my wife a mocha and a cup of black coffee, it was excellant, take Sally's home and sip mine while surveying the Marsh for photo ops. It was a great way to start my day. Cancer killed my wife. Covid scare ( lack of dependable employees) killed the drive-in. I sorely miss those days.
May her memory be a blessing.

I drink 5 or 6 a day at home, rarely get it out now, always a large cold brew at Dunkin’

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I go to a Dutch Bros. and grab a large sugar free iced Double Torture and since caffeine is my friend I also have them pull two additional shots on the side.

They won’t add them because “health issues or regulations, blah, blah, blah”.

So I just drink enough and add them in.

Fantastic stuff!!

Reactions: Hillcrest

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
When I worked in Europe and Australia there were usually plenty of good independent coffee shops where I could get espresso (I pretty much only drink espresso - a habit I got into working in the Italian part of Switzerland).

To be honest; I usually despaired whenever I was working in the US (may have been different if I worked in Boston or San Francisco but I was generally in places where dishwater strength pour over coffee was considered 'good'). Ask local colleagues where to get good coffee and they invariably directed me to the nearest Starbucks :rolleyes: (my personal opinion is that coffee and Starbucks are not words that should ever be used together).

(To be fair, I did find a great coffee shop just outside of San Diego when I was there, and one of our competitors used to have an excellent Barista on their stand when doing trade shows in Las Vegas and where happy to let us get our coffee from her!)

I did OK in Detroit because the customer's project manager was 1st generation Greek and she lent me a pot and supplied me with Greek coffee (well, Lebanese but much the same) so I could make something drinkable before getting to the office - office had unlimited coffee from a sophisticated automatic grind and brew machine which could best be described as disgusting!

There are lots of good little coffee shops in São Paulo where I now but you have to search them out; the main streets and malls are dominated by Starbucks. There's actually more branches of Starbucks on the Avenida Paulista then in the whole of Australia :eek:

So... ...when out and about I often struggle to find coffee and just drink mineral water.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
caffeine is my friend I also have them pull two additional shots on the side.

They won’t add them because “health issues or regulations, blah, blah, blah”.
So much for the customer is always right :rolleyes:; still, your approach is better than mine which would be to walk out and never go there again!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'm one of those that makes the majority of my coffee at home. But I'm pleasantly surprised by the little shops throughout our town and nearby towns. Nothing fancy, it is the mountains after all. But some great coffee can be found at some of these places. And they don't reuse yesterdays brew like a particular corporate coffee chain. Always glad to support a local roaster

Edit: nobody saw it coming😂

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I only drink one cup per day. 95% plus of the time, that cup is enjoyed at home or in the car on the way to the golf course along with a bowl of Sir John's Flake Virginia. Haven't found anywhere that makes one better than I do. If I'm out and about and must buy elsewhere, I look for something other than Starbucks. McDonald's and Dunkin make reasonable coffee.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm one of those that makes the majority of my coffee at home. But I'm pleasantly surprised by the little shops throughout our town and nearby towns. Nothing fancy, it is the mountains after all. But some great coffee can be found at some of these places. And they don't reuse yesterdays brew like a particular corporate coffee chain. Always glad to support a local roaster

Edit: nobody saw it coming😂
I find personally smaller out of the way places often just don't have the same variety which is fine for me I don't care what beans they use (as in no preference otherwise then good) or for anything more then black coffee. I also like often they'll have a trick which is really just how the person in charge of the coffee thinks it's best. I know one localish place they made in a large pot on the stove. Which actually is a really fine way to make coffee but obviously it's more temperamental and a pita and require much more attention in making and serving (no one wants a mouthful of grinds). It comes out kind of sweet but not candy sugar sweet but way less bitter.
As far as out and about either what's most convenient or where I haven't gone before. With coffee while I enjoy it I go for palatable and caffeinated. Worst coffee though ever served to the public was at Facia Luna in State College. They served the coffee from the people who deliver water cooler jugs. It's bad when the people selling you a product are shocked you'd serve it to paying customers (the delivery guy told me their coffee was intended to be coffee for workplaces and served free).
Sadly my one local place that was great closed. And the other had a roaster fire and their coffee just hasn't been great since then. By the way the owner of that shop gave the pipe shop free coffee in exchange for free MacBarren tins.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It's pour over via the Chemex daily or on weekends because the wife likes them I'll make mochas courtesy of a little Bambino Plus espresso machine. Otherwise, I only have coffee out and about if I'm out of town and try to find a place where I can get a nice pour over of some kind. Certain towns I have favorites for sure but it's not all that often. After first thing in the morning I'm done, lol, but normally a good mug +.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Home; MacDonald's Drive through if necessary; if I'm driving past Rhode Island I make time to go to a particular Dunkin' Donuts in East Providence which consistently has the finest DD coffee I have ever tried; it actually tastes like really really good coffee !! (they must clean the machines regularly).