Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
I tend to make large jars of home blends when there are several tobaccos of a certain ilk that I just don't tend to reach for often enough and mix in other bulk blending components to add whatever might be missing from the batch, once blended. The goal is to take several uninteresting (to me) products and turn them into something I will smoke more regularly.

Many of those are too complex to list, however, there are a couple things I have blended over the years and enjoyed quite a lot as a mix. One of my go to favorites is a 50-50 blend of Peterson's Irish Flake and SG Bracken Flake, rubbed out and evenly incorporated. One of my local pipe buddies pressed some of this together and aged it, which was also a nice twist on this variant.

Do any of you have any home recipes like this that you enjoy on a regular basis?

Reactions: woodsroad

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
American Virginia flue 42% izmir 15% and Samsun 15% Brightleaf Flue High sugar 20% with 8% genuine St James perique. This is an Oriental. Make the VA flue and sweet VA 25/10 and bring up the perique to 25 for my VA Per with a bit of spice. I also remove some of the Turkish and replace with Fronto for added robustness. I take one hand of each and divide. Case Virginia with 5% sugar water, bake 175 90 minutes and then steam the sweet a bit but don't Cavendish it. Blend each leaf interleaved by proportion and press at 50psi for 18 days. Stoe plugs until ready to use and then flake and rub.

• Love
Reactions: dottlejockey

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
American Virginia flue 42% izmir 15% and Samsun 15% Brightleaf Flue High sugar 20% with 8% genuine St James perique. This is an Oriental. Make the VA flue and sweet VA 25/10 and bring up the perique to 25 for my VA Per with a bit of spice. I also remove some of the Turkish and replace with Fronto for added robustness. I take one hand of each and divide. Case Virginia with 5% sugar water, bake 175 90 minutes and then steam the sweet a bit but don't Cavendish it. Blend each leaf interleaved by proportion and press at 50psi for 18 days. Stoe plugs until ready to use and then flake and rub.
Very cool! I've never gone this far, YET. I've seen some videos of people working with whole leaf. Super intrigued...

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Last night, after having explored many of the Peretti blends i recently picked up, i separated out the few that smoked well enough to enjoy as is. These were Cuban Mixture, Blend 111 and No. 8 Slices. As for the rest of them, since they were all either burley or VA, i figured it was time for a new home blend mix.

I crushed and partially rubbed out most of the cube cut particles for easier incorporation, then blended the VA and Burley components. It had good flavor, but was a little light, so i decided to add some depth and body to the profile. Mac Baren's Bold Kentucky fit the bill here. After that sample i wanted a little more strength to create a satisfying smoke, so Mac Baren's Rustica was the choice. Turned out a little hot, so i threw in some SPC Down Yonder to fluff it back out again with some stoved VA.

This is what i finally settled on:

1 oz - 150th Anniversary
1 oz - Boston Slices
1 oz - Blend W
1 oz - Burley Plug Cut
1 oz - 333
2 oz - SPC Down Yonder
1 1/2 oz - MB Bold Kentucky
3/4 oz - MB Rustica

A final test in the clay told me i had arrived.

Peretti Party Blend clay test.JPG

So today was the day to give it a real run, since last night's sample was just that. Put it to the meer test late this morning, for my 3rd bowl of the day and found a new option in the lineup. Looking forward to repeat smokes after a few weeks in the jar.

Peretti Party apple meer.JPG

This is very typical of my blending process as described in the original post. Taking a bunch of less-than-exciting tobaccos and blending them into something that will intrigue me enough to load em up as part of the regular rotation. This one turned out great. Looking forward to the next bowl. puffy

Attachments

• IMG_5880.JPG
    IMG_5880.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5879.JPG
    IMG_5879.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: AroEnglish

Tony1958

Lurker
May 11, 2024
Georgia
I see that you have 15% Samsun. Could you tell me where you got the Samsun? I searched with three vendors—Smokingpipes, pipes and cigars and 4 noggins. None of them have it. Thanks

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
I see that you have 15% Samsun. Could you tell me where you got the Samsun? I searched with three vendors—Smokingpipes, pipes and cigars and 4 noggins. None of them have it. Thanks
Not sure where your from. Why not introduce yourself in the new member section?

Try leafonly.com

They are 10 mins from me. I just go down and load up my trunk. Not sure if you can order from there given your location.

Tony1958

Lurker
May 11, 2024
Georgia
Thanks for replying. I live in Atlanta. I went to the link you gave me but they only have leaf. I have never dealt with leaf. I haven’t a clue about it.
I make my own blends but use tobacco supplied by the usual vendors on the web.

I would gladly put something about myself in the new member section, if I can find it.

• Haha

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I like mixing in small amounts of Gawith and Hoggarth Dark Flake Scented (10-20%) with Gl Pease Englishes. At first, I did it to see how it adds strength and to see how the licorice topping would be with latakia. As it turns out it's extremely good.

Last edited:

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Thanks for sharing your recipes.
Always interesting to see what others do.
I've usually blended out of necessity (salvage savvy). It's less often that i blend just for the sake of creating something new, tho i have done it here and there for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
See my Irish Flake Match attempt thread. That’s the best I’ve done so far, but I mix stuff all the time.

I really like what’s in my Odds and Ends jar too-just the stuff left from jarring tins and breaking up flakes. All the little bits go in that jar and there’s usually 1-2oz in there smoke from throughout the week when I can’t decide.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Thanks for replying. I live in Atlanta. I went to the link you gave me but they only have leaf. I have never dealt with leaf. I haven’t a clue about it.
I make my own blends but use tobacco supplied by the usual vendors on the web.

I would gladly put something about myself in the new member section, if I can find it.
Oh ok...I only use whole leaf for my blends.

Apr 18, 2024
Minneapolis Minnesota
I'm not normally into things with toppings or non-tobacco flavors but:

50% Peter Stokebye Luxury Twist Flake (rubbed out vigorously)
75% Sutliff Aged Maduro Black Cavendish
25% bulk C&D chopped cigar leaf

I've been addicted to this for like a week, different people might like it in different proportions and the star is the Peter Stokebye but this cavendish is topped with mild chocolate and vanilla that adds to the vanilla in the twist flake and makes the smoke "fuller" and gives a good mouth-feel. The cigar leaf kind of brings it back from the sweetness and adds an earth note.
You have to sacrifice a little flavor to get it going but it stays lit and when you get a good cherry smoldering it smokes cool and tastes so good when you smoke it slow.
I have worked on a few other blends trying to make my own high nic virginia burley but it's not quite the final form yet.
This thread was a good read