PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Hello folks,

I'm looking to add another meerschaum to the collection and I'm really keen on Baki pipes.

Last I checked Fikri Baki had his own website which I can't seem to find anymore.

Does anyone know what happened to him and how to contact him directly for a commission?

Thanks!

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Hello folks,

I'm looking to add another meerschaum to the collection and I'm really keen on Baki pipes.

Last I checked Fikri Baki had his own website which I can't seem to find anymore.

Does anyone know what happened to him and how to contact him directly for a commission?

Thanks!
Not possible as far as I know. He sells exclusively through Ali Express now. Ordering/communication has not been the best since the pandemic. Also, prices are quite high.

Reactions: anotherbob

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Horrible draw on those things.
I haven't had this problem with my Bakis, but it is a common problem with many meers in general.

And as @isaac said, Baki is only sold through Ali Express now, so if you don't want to deal with that mess, I'd recommend Altinay or Meerschaum Market (good selection of IMP's there)...or SPC also has IMP and AKB.

In my experience of all of the above makes plus a few others, I'm most impressed with Altinay...only problem is their payment processing is difficult at best to navigate.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Thank you guys so much for your input. Its much appreciated!

I found the Ali Express shop but sadly there's no way of contacting the seller directly.

I've heard only great things about Altinay and IMP. Can't go wrong there I guess.

Does anyone know how SMS meerschaum pipes compare? Are they as good as IMP or Altinay?

Alternatively, what other brands are as good as IMP or Altinay?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: anotherbob

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Reactions: Jwebb90

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have 2 Baki pipes, both purchased before his transition to Ali Express. The draw seems fine on my two pipes, he tends to LARGE pipes.

I've had good luck with Altinok buying several pipes off of their website. I normally alert my CC company of the intent to use it since he's based in Turkey. Shipping was prompt (not as fast as Al Pascia), pipes were well packed.

Reactions: LotusEater

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
Hello folks,

Thanks!
Hello @alialansari
Unfortunately this summer master Baki handed over his workshop to another meerschaum master and retired completely. Probably the pipes on AliExpress are his last pipes.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Does anyone know what happened to all the master carvers that Altinok use to have? They only have three carvers listed now. It was either last year, or 2020, they had around eight to ten carvers listed on the site. hmm 🤔

Fehmi Yavuz use to be listed there, now he’s not. In the past I read he was considered a very talented and well respected meerschaum carver in Turkey. Here’s his site;

Tekin is also suppose to be considered a good carver. I can’t remember if he was ever listed on Altinok.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does anyone know what happened to all the master carvers that Altinok use to have? They only have three carvers listed now. It was either last year, or 2020, they had around eight to ten carvers listed on the site. hmm 🤔

Fehmi Yavuz use to be listed there, now he’s not. In the past I read he was considered a very talented and well respected meerschaum carver in Turkey. Here’s his site;

Tekin is also suppose to be considered a good carver. I can’t remember if he was ever listed on Altinok.

It's a dying art.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
All things come to an end. I noticed Kenan's Instagram went dark not too long ago.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If we’re talking about the same Kenan, I’ve only seen the pipes listed at the Meerschaum Market, never seen an Instagram before.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If we’re talking about the same Kenan, I’ve only seen the pipes listed at the Meerschaum Market, never seen an Instagram before.

Same one. Hasn't had any new work show up there for a while either.

Reactions: PipeIT

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Quick update folks.

I've settled on getting an Altinay pipe. Their work is amazing and comes highly recommended by almost everyone I've talked to.

The model I want isn't currently available but will be soon. Said from Altinay is an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I really cannot recommend them enough!

Thanks to everyone for weighing in and recommending different brands of makers. This is what makes us a great and loving community!

Thanks folks!