PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Meerschaum Madness! How much weight can a meerschaum really acquire from coloring? If you ream it real good, it shouldn't have increased in weight more than a gram? There can't be that much tars and stuff that fits in the material?

Meerschaum Madness! How much weight can a meerschaum really acquire from coloring? If you ream it real good, it shouldn't have increased in weight more than a gram? There can't be that much tars and stuff that fits in the material?
The hypothesis is the weight should not change significantly. However I do think it would gain a few (3-5 g) after 1000 bowls.

So far, all of my weighings came at 52 g. This proves that the weight gain is negligible so far. However need to smoke many more bowls to see.

Incidentally Altinay listed the pipe at 47.5 g. There is a difference of 4.5 g between his weight and mine, but mine is not calibrated against his machine.

Having said that some of the weight gain may be real, as a meerschaum absorbs a lot during the first few bowls.

Updates????
The last update was in November at around 270 bowls. Two months later, I am around 321 bowls, so I have smoked 50 bowls since last update. However progress is slow, and I am not noticing major differences although there have been some coloring.

I was planning to do my next update around 350 bowls, which should be mid February, but maybe I should post sooner.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
The last update was in November at around 270 bowls. Two months later, I am around 321 bowls, so I have smoked 50 bowls since last update. However progress is slow, and I am not noticing major differences although there have been some coloring.

I was planning to do my next update around 350 bowls, which should be mid February, but maybe I should post sooner.
Like now.....

😁