SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
It's only gonna get worse, as we've depleted well over 3/4 of the ocean's bounty.

Why do you think all the hungry sharks are now looking to the coastal areas for tasty bipeds?

As Agent Smith said in The Matrix, humanity is a blight upon the planet, a virus.

Smoke 'em while you got 'em....

View attachment 155402

Yea, I personally try to keep this in mind when I buy fish and fortunatly many of my favorites are not on the overfished list.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
What is the main catch in the great lakes? Walleye, perch and bluegill? The times I've been in WI I always enjoyed stopping at a supper club for a Friday fish fry.

I'm not such a fan of catfish either. A bit too slimy (waiting for the Cajun contingent here to lay into me), although those and sunnies are what I caught the most of when I went fishing with my Grandpa.

My plate usually had yellow perch, walleye, or steelhead trout (in season). There's other good fish, especially in Lakes Huron and Superior, but those are what I miss.

I read your comment about the escaped fish in the PNW and wonder whether it included the newish genetically-modified salmon that's been approved and is currently defiling plates across the land.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
My plate usually had yellow perch, walleye, or steelhead trout (in season). There's other good fish, especially in Lakes Huron and Superior, but those are what I miss.

I read your comment about the escaped fish in the PNW and wonder whether it included the newish genetically-modified salmon that's been approved and is currently defiling plates across the land.

Well, I just looked it up, apparently it had more to do with them being Atlantic salmon and the native salmon not being able to compete with them. Still, pretty screwed up.

I do wonder how the quality / taste of farmed salmon differs between how they are raised etc. I do buy farmed salmon in a pinch and due to cost but I don't think it's my imagination or bias that they taste sort of "swampy" to me.

Has anyone had shad? I don't know many who have tried it outside of Lambertville NJ which has a shadfest every year when they come up the Delaware to spawn. I always remember a week too late. Their sacks of roe are delicious, dusted with flour and pan fried in some brown butter, simply delectable.
Shad is the most premium fish you can eat in Eastern Part of India / Bangladesh. Indian variety of Shad is available in Pakistani/Indian butcher shops all over NJ. Most of it is caught in Myanmar but some are caught in Bangladesh. It goes by the name “Hilsa”

I am not a fish enthusiast so I would not eat them often. However I have heard Shad caught in India / Bangladesh is better tasting than those caught in Myanmar and all of them supposedly taste better than Shad caught in Delaware river.

The Shad festival is near our house, but I have not been there. One of the main reasons is that they no longer sell Shad in the Shad festival. Better way to get an American Shad is to commission a fisherman directly. Since I am not enthusiastic about fish, I did not do that.

Shad is extremely tasty but also extremely boney and requires a lot of patience to eat. I love Shad roe a lot even though I am not very enthusiastic about fish. Some of the premium Indian restaurants back in India prepares boneless Shad. I love
to eat that.

Jan 27, 2020
Shad is the most premium fish you can eat in Eastern Part of India / Bangladesh. Indian variety of Shad is available in Pakistani/Indian butcher shops all over NJ. Most of it is caught in Myanmar but some are caught in Bangladesh. It goes by the name “Hilsa”

I am not a fish enthusiast so I would not eat them often. However I have heard Shad caught in India / Bangladesh is better tasting than those caught in Myanmar and all of them supposedly taste better than Shad caught in Delaware river.

The Shad festival is near our house, but I have not been there. One of the main reasons is that they no longer sell Shad in the Shad festival. Better way to get an American Shad is to commission a fisherman directly. Since I am not enthusiastic about fish, I did not do that.

Shad is extremely tasty but also extremely boney and requires a lot of patience to eat. I love Shad roe a lot even though I am not very enthusiastic about fish. Some of the premium Indian restaurants back in India prepares boneless Shad. I love
to eat that.

Oh, that's interesting. Will have to look up some Indian / Bangladeshi shad recipes. Most the fish I've seen on Indian restaurant menus seem to be kingfish.

Do you mean that the restaurants too don't sell shad during shadfest? That seems really bizarre...

Btw., I made this Goan shrimp recipe a few times, not really such a fan of shrimp anymore but it was easily one of the best shrimp dishes I've ever had.

Reactions: cshubhra

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Where in the world did you hear that?
Where in the world did you hear that?
Every nutrition article I have ever read on farm raised fish (YMMV) when it started to be big business. Also they are more susceptible to disease and bacteria in those contained netted areas. If you have different info I would read it. Don't get me wrong ... I do it eat but would prefer wild caught when i have a choice.

Reactions: Egg Shen
Oh, that's interesting. Will have to look up some Indian / Bangladeshi shad recipes. Most the fish I've seen on Indian restaurant menus seem to be kingfish.

Do you mean that the restaurants too don't sell shad during shadfest? That seems really bizarre...

Btw., I made this Goan shrimp recipe a few times, not really such a fan of shrimp anymore but it was easily one of the best shrimp dishes I've ever had.
1. When you look up Shad recipes from India / Bangladesh - Look for “Hilsa”. That’s what the fish is called in those parts
2. No Indian restaurant I know in US serves Shad. Your best bet would be the Bangladeshi groceries In Jackson Heights NY which has a small counter in the corner selling food. Again you have to ask for Hilsa. However you can get the uncooked/frozen fish in most large Pakistani butcher
3. I did not physically go to the Shad festival and verify that they don’t sell Shad. It is based on internet research. So it might be still a worthwhile trip for you to go and verify whether they sell Shad at the festival

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Every nutrition article I have ever read on farm raised fish (YMMV) when it started to be big business. Also they are more susceptible to disease and bacteria in those contained netted areas. If you have different info I would read it. Don't get me wrong ... I do it eat but would prefer wild caught when i have a choice.

Sure, I'm with you on most of that, but there is nowhere I'm aware of that states that farm-raised has 1/3 the nutrients of wild-caught. If it's in every nutrition article you've read, please post a link - this is news to me, and contradicts what I've read.

I don't eat farm-raised, but I understand why some people do.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Sure, I'm with you on most of that, but there is nowhere I'm aware of that states that farm-raised has 1/3 the nutrients of wild-caught. If it's in every nutrition article you've read, please post a link - this is news to me, and contradicts what I've read.

I don't eat farm-raised, but I understand why some people do.
It depends on who you ask and who is paying for their research as with all things. I tend to prefer what nature intended. I think I originally read about it in the New York Times and possibly Discover magazine I may have mistated when I said nutrient value. I meant not as nutritious or healthy for you. But that is my opinion not a doctoral thesis and this is an open forum of sorts so exacting sources are a tad more flexible. Here's just the first page I googled:

https://chhs.source.colostate.edu/wild-caught-vs-farm-raised-seafood/

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/wild-vs-farmed-salmon

https://thehealthyfish.com/nutritious-farmed-fish/

https://www.nutritionletter.tufts.edu/healthy-eating/fish-farm-raised-versus-wild-caught/

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/fish-faceoff-wild-salmon-vs-farmed-salmon/

https://andytherd.com/2018/04/23/wild-fish-vs-farmed-fish-matter/

https://www.ift.org/career-development/learn-about-food-science/food-facts/food-facts-food-health-and-nutrition/wildcaught-fish-vs-farmraised-fish

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/farm-raised-vs-wild-caught-fish

https://ussnemorestaurant.com/whats-difference-farm-raised-wild-caught-fish/

https://www.webmd.com/diet/difference-between-wild-and-farmed-salmon

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I think I originally read about it in the New York Times and possibly Discover magazine I may have mistated when I said nutrient value.
Okay, thanks. I had always heard that nutrient value was similar, but farm-raised actually has more Omega 3.

I eat wild-caught exclusively, but I have that luxury because of where I live. It's weird that we can even buy farm-raised salmon here, but we can - ironically, I'm told it's for people who are against eating wild salmon because they want to see that fishery grow and reduce the need for farm-raised. But I believe it just increases demand for farm-raised.

Jan 27, 2020
1. When you look up Shad recipes from India / Bangladesh - Look for “Hilsa”. That’s what the fish is called in those parts
2. No Indian restaurant I know in US serves Shad. Your best bet would be the Bangladeshi groceries In Jackson Heights NY which has a small counter in the corner selling food. Again you have to ask for Hilsa. However you can get the uncooked/frozen fish in most large Pakistani butcher
3. I did not physically go to the Shad festival and verify that they don’t sell Shad. It is based on internet research. So it might be still a worthwhile trip for you to go and verify whether they sell Shad at the festival

Thanks for the information! Actually, Citarella's in NYC (if you aren't familiar, they have an amazing fish counter btw, but pricy) carries shad but only when they are in season locally which is only a few weeks (coincides with shadfest but they told me they actually get them from the LI sound). I will try the frozen shad at some point.

You live in such a beautiful area. My girlfriend and I were going to Frenchtown a bit during lockdown to swim etc., I grew up not so far away in Bordentown, NJ, which is a historic and rather quaint town south of you on the Delaware.

Reactions: cshubhra

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I do wonder how the quality / taste of farmed salmon differs between how they are raised etc. I do buy farmed salmon in a pinch and due to cost but I don't think it's my imagination or bias that they taste sort of "swampy" to me.

I'm landlocked in Tennessee, and quite rural at that. When the itch gets too bad, I overpay for "fresh" fish that still traveled a couple days to get from the water to my kitchen. There are some nicer restaurants in Nashville that will have good fresh catch every now and again. Most of the locals, though, apparently prefer catfish, and farm-raised catfish at that. So many catfish eateries use the "farm-raised" aspect of their catfish in their advertising. I try not to touch the stuff.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Trader Joes has some decent frozen wild caught fish. It use to be reasonably priced but haven't checked in a while.

Not reasonable anymore, unfortunately. But their offerings are certainly decent.

It's only gonna get worse, as we've depleted well over 3/4 of the ocean's bounty.

Why do you think all the hungry sharks are now looking to the coastal areas for tasty bipeds?

As Agent Smith said in The Matrix, humanity is a blight upon the planet, a virus.

Smoke 'em while you got 'em....

View attachment 155402
Ah, the ol' standby for the parasitic AI. Blaming the humans when it's the AI themselves that are in reality the "blight" they speak of. The humans just seem to be the virus, merely because they imitate their parasitic masters. @brian64 and @olkofri will back me up on this, I'm sure. ?

That bounty depletion statistic is pretty specific for something that cannot in any way, shape, or form be verified for accuracy. As opposed to this one: the creation is doing just fine, and it always will--it was designed that way. The sharks, like other animals, are just returning to areas they haven't been seen at in years. And if a human ends up on an Hors D'oeuvre plate here and there, that's just the breaks.

But I ain't tryin' to hijack the thread here...back to the flounder. It is indeed worth every penny. Just ask Elaine:

flounder.gif

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
ironically, I'm told it's for people who are against eating wild salmon because they want to see that fishery grow and reduce the need for farm-raised.
Forgive me but that seems ... like a bit of propaganda ... I seem to recall, IIRC, someone about 8-12 yrs ago issuing an executive order increasing exports to certain countries to solve their food shortage and easing restrictions for fish farms to supply them. Except we got the farm raised and they got the fresh wild caught... who didn't see that one coming ??? Of course I am now cynical of many efforts to help solve problems we didn't know we had but we don't need to go there !!
:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
1.) As opposed to this one: the creation is doing just fine, and it always will--it was designed that way.
I agree completely !
2) The sharks, like other animals, are just returning to areas they haven't been seen at in years.
I have read it has a lot to do with water temperature and seal populations and availability. If the seals don't migrate ... go to the seals.
3) And if a human ends up on an Hors D'oeuvre plate here and there, that's just the breaks.
I am not worried about the sharks doing that but still worried ! :eek:;)

Reactions: Servant King

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Forgive me but that seems ... like a bit of propaganda ... I seem to recall, IIRC, someone about 8-12 yrs ago issuing an executive order increasing exports to certain countries to solve their food shortage and easing restrictions for fish farms to supply them. Except we got the farm raised and they got the fresh wild caught... who didn't see that one coming ??? Of course I am now cynical of many efforts to help solve problems we didn't know we had but we don't need to go there !!
:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Actually, it's directly from several fishermen's mouths. Two in particular who are friends of mine, will only catch and release salmon, and one eats only farm-raised, for the reasons I mentioned. So no, not propaganda. Others I know from this part of the country, who are not so much into fishing, feel the same way.

But I'll leave you all to your musings - this subject seems to have played out. Goodnight.