Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured guest on tonight's show is Giacomo Carlesi the Export Manager of Savinelli. Savinelli pipes have been around for 135 years and are the favorites of many pipe smokers and collectors.
giacomo-carlesi.jpg

Join us tonight at 8 pm eastern US time.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Great bit on pipe show etiquette. Definitely suggest just letting your guard down and mingling with everyone. Brian is correct in that every pipe smoker should try and get to a show. You really can learn a lot and get exposed to a lot more.
Good advice on the filters. I really only smoke aromatics and Giacomo is correct they typically last around 3 smokes before they need changing. It's pretty easy to see when they need to be changed out. They'll turn from a nice light color to a very dark color and by then it's obviously time to change it.
Once again another great show!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Wow. Thanks so much for this episode! Giacomo was a terrific guest, and I really appreciated what he had to say about Savinelli. I've had mixed success with the brand -- one pipe never smoked well, always tasting "green," and one pipe has been great. But I was so impressed when he said this: "Our factory does not produce pipes; we produce pipe makers." What a wonderful perspective.
Bob

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
It was good to hear him talk about the whole picking up pipes thing at shows. This was actually confusing to me at my first show and I probably went through a good quarter of the tables with my hands behind my back. Then a few of the tables just started telling me, "If you see anything you are interested feel free to pick it up for a closer look." Really, you mean I can touch the pipes?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Another fine show. With the Pipe Show season upon the segment on Pipe Show Etiquette was most appropriate. Giacomo was an excellent guest. Not sure I agree about the point of not trying to get better prices from the artisans. I understand it, because very few of these guys are really making a living just carving pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.